Vista is out - What do you think?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I have noticed this on my office PC (which runs Vista) before. Wasn't quite sure as to the cause until reading that article
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

more vista debacle...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/29 ... vista_sp1/

comments by readers

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/29 ... s/#c_53629

this is my favorite:
matt wrote: only a retard would upgrade their network to vista.

Hell we're only just replacing the last of our win 2k developer boxes (man what a nice clean uncluttered release 2k was, I only upgraded my machine last month and I was sad to see the old girl go.) XP is bareable once you cut out all the cancerous bloat. But this Vista is the new ME and the only person I've met who likes Vista also liked ME. Funny that.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

This one's also good:
As a LAN Administrator, I use XP and Win 2K at work, and XP and Linux at home. All of the OSes I use have varying pros and cons, but I have to admit that MS products are both fraught with more problems, but easier to fix. However I thank the folks at Redmond for their often not-entirely-thought-out or perfected products, as I know I will always be in demand to fix their ills.
But try writing software that works with Microsoft products... I'm trying to write a plugin for Excel 2007 at the moment, and let me tell you that the API was written by monkeys. It is extremely difficult to accomplish even the simplest task.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Hey there guys can somebody please tell me whats wrong here, Im really getting pissed off by this.

Ive just install Vista for the 3rd time.

Ok ive only put the Graphics card drivers on, 162.22 whql Nvidia Drivers , 32bit. No other drivers are installed. Shouldnt have to to increase my score.

Now why am i getting this score like this. Complete rubbish. I come back from my mates place and his score we updated it and it goes up to 5.9 and 5.9. with my card in his machine.

So is there a hardware issue is there something wrong with one of my components coz, ive really had it with this.

ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Well if your benching scores haven't depreciated (because they seriously would have!) and your gaming FPS is more or less the same, I'd say its a Vista problem and nothing much to worry bout :wink:
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Is vista picking up the hardware properly? what does it say in the device manager?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Sorry, but who actually cares what MS thinks of your system? Even if my rig gets 1 or 2, i really couldn't care less. Forget about it doOb ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Is vista picking up the hardware properly? what does it say in the device manager?
Yes it is, 100%
Sorry, but who actually cares what MS thinks of your system? Even if my rig gets 1 or 2, i really couldn't care less. Forget about it doOb

Suppose you are right, but its just irrating me.

Like in Windows XP Pro, ive been getting that dam "Generic Win32 Host Process Error. And i got it again yesterday. Thats why i wanted to try Vista again and see what happens. See if i get that error.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

But seriously doOb, that MS rating means jack. How often are you gonna see it anyway? I think i looked at it ONCE in the entire time i've had Vista. It's irrelevant dude ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

It is the most important new feature of Vista. It is the be all and end all of features!
Do0b it is essential that you get it right otherwise there will be no sleep for you :wink:
Like DJV says if your games are running properly and benchies are giving you the correct results then just ignore that foolish little piece of software.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Alrighty Thanks Ettienne. Will try not think about it, lol
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

You will think about it... Guaranteed... Same way I will get peeved at that incorrect rating as well...

It means jack and we should ignore it, but it wont happen...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Well my 3Dmark 2005 jsut got a score of 4987, which means there is definitely something wrong
douglash

Post by douglash »

Doob - there is definitely something wrong...

btw - the score in Vista is apparently based on the lowest score of your system.. e.g. my HDD score is 5.7 so therefore even with my cpu OC'd hectically and with good RAM, my score is still only 5.7 - Vista sucks in that regard...

can someone confirm whether a graphics card could possibly give win32 errors?

edit - my apologies, i am talking crap, it is based on the highest score out of all your components listed - i don't know what i was thinking, quite clearly i wasn't (thinking, that is)..

sorry all... :?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

douglash wrote:Doob - there is definitely something wrong...

btw - the score in Vista is apparently based on the lowest score of your system.. e.g. my HDD score is 5.7 so therefore even with my cpu OC'd hectically and with good RAM, my score is still only 5.7 - Vista sucks in that regard...

can someone confirm whether a graphics card could possibly give win32 errors?

edit - my apologies, i am talking crap, it is based on the highest score out of all your components listed - i don't know what i was thinking, quite clearly i wasn't (thinking, that is)..

sorry all... :?
No, you were right the first time. Your base score is based on the lowest score of your various components. To the best of my knowledge, CPU rating will not change with an overclock.

douglash

Post by douglash »

i'm :?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Less than 24 hours after creating a dual boot XP & vista system, my Vista OS is already giving me ****.

The same crap that led to me RMA'ing my old 8800gtx, I get a BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys error.

I got to play BioShock a couple of hours in Vista with DX10 and with all the goodies enabled however I didn't see that much of an improvement over DX9.

In my book, I'm staying with XP and will continue with DX9.

XP's stability cannot be beaten by Vista!!!
douglash

Post by douglash »

@ Advanced - was there really a problem with your 8800 though? or was it just Vista?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Well put it like this, when I was on XP I never had any artifacts from my graphics card, never any blue screens of death but when I moved to Vista, thats exactly what I got.

Even if it sounds silly, read that link above - There are TONS of users complaining about this issue.

That link is to the Nvidia forums, the thread there is 110 pages long and was only started January this year. After reading just about every page, I've come to the conclusion that I really have no idea what happened or why my card died, Microsoft & Nvidia have none either.

Btw, I posted another thread (+-) a month ago where I explained exactly what happened in detail.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

I've just installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. No problems yet, besides that it somehow removed the NTLDR file from my 32bit install...

Anyhow, will see how it goes.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

doob, click update my score. Even if you just remove your ram and reinsert it, vista resets that score to 1... Try it! :-D
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Hey DR, yea my scores are all right now, windows update fixed it. But im still not liking the fact that Vista eats my resources and my Frame Rates dropped by 10-15, in Rainbow Six - Vegas. Tomorrow im putting Xp on. Dual Boot.

XP FTW once again. Oh wait i most probably get that dreaded Error again

Generic Win32 Process Host error..... blah blah
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

haha. I know how to fix that ;-)
douglash

Post by douglash »

Doob - so things are sorted now or ??

how's the 3dmark scores looking?

you had me worried there for a bit... 8O