Vista is out - What do you think?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Thinice wrote:Sorry not trying to fight

Serious, i was playing 2142 in Vista and after 10 mins of game play my machine started to jerk, min to taskbar and was left with 2mb of ram

who knows, maybe some sort of mem leak!!!
Yep np,

When I was still on vista, my ram usage would be about 650mb sitting at desktop & playing winamp.

I never noticed my ram usage in games to EVER go anywhere near the 2gb of ram I have, so ya.

Some 1 else talked of a memory leak on fear, a page or two back so it might be a common thing with (some) games lacking proper vista support.
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Iv never had any problems while playing BF2142 or FEAR Combat in Vista. Iv also got 2GB RAM and iv never seen it use more than 1.6/1.7GB in a game/application (well, actually one version of Nero had a memory leak and then it just used up all my RAM then I had to restaurt :roll: ) But that wasnt a Vista problem. :P

Frozenfireside, your Vista sounds a bit dodgy. Have you run the windows updates? They help quite a lot! :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

i'm not arguing with slasher but i find that the new address bar system which i presume you are referring to, i find it comforting. I agree it is a different way of oing it, but even though its made for noobs but I find it actually very easy to use and it can be extremely powerful once you get used to it.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

Ill try take some screenshots this WE

Odd i tell you

My posts are my own and not those of DigitalSAonline.co.za

South Africa's Online Web Store for Gamers.
http://www.DigitalSAOnline.co.za

Sponsor of
http://www.proximitylan.co.za
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Yeah my Vista is not happy but I have done the updates and nothing helped.
I just got my parts back today and theres no faults with any of them.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Frozenfireside wrote:Yeah my Vista is not happy but I have done the updates and nothing helped.
I just got my parts back today and theres no faults with any of them.
Did you read my post on the page before (bottom of page)?

The BSOD's you experienced aren't because of your hardware. It's a vista problem atm.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Hman wrote:I think your only option is to repartition and reformat the drive.
Noooooo! :-P The problem with this is where do I put the 258 gigs of stuff that I have on that partition already? :-( Guess I'll have to buy another 320Gb Seagate soon...

Otherwise someone mentioned that Zune theme? Grabbed it, love it, shot mate! ;-)
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

ADV4NCED wrote: I never noticed my ram usage in games to EVER go anywhere near the 2gb of ram I have, so ya.
NERO used all my memory the other day, messed up, but i still use Vista now more than XP, Xp all i use it for is FEAR Combat and i think Photoshop CS3, in vista there must be a conflict, its take like 2mins or so to open like a stupid 100k pic.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

ADV4NCED wrote: The BSOD's you experienced aren't because of your hardware. It's a vista problem atm.
My Winfast Deluxe TV card gave me a BSOD, couldnt get into Vista, had to go into safe mode, uninstall the drivers and then after that it booted, but i had taken the TV card out anyway just incase.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

DoOb wrote:
ADV4NCED wrote: The BSOD's you experienced aren't because of your hardware. It's a vista problem atm.
My Winfast Deluxe TV card gave me a BSOD, couldnt get into Vista, had to go into safe mode, uninstall the drivers and then after that it booted, but i had taken the TV card out anyway just incase.
Winfast - so its Nvidia right?

Alot of people have said they experience BSOD's and "driver not responding" error after they have installed nvidia/ati drivers for their card. Others also say after installing vista updates, the problem started.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Yes advanced I did read your post but you cannot state that without knowing what my system is doing.
My graphics card is making a shriek and its not the fan-I know the fan at max and thats a different noise.
I spoke to my boss who said it was a faulty transistor so I wanted to get it swopped.

I think I need to elaborate waaaay more often as people here tend to shout alot when they think they know the fault.

:?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Frozenfireside wrote:Yes advanced I did read your post but you cannot state that without knowing what my system is doing.
My graphics card is making a shriek and its not the fan-I know the fan at max and thats a different noise.
I spoke to my boss who said it was a faulty transistor so I wanted to get it swopped.

I think I need to elaborate waaaay more often as people here tend to shout alot when they think they know the fault.

:?
oh shutup

If my reply in your case is incorrect, I'm sorry - dont get all bitchy about it :roll:

And dont act like you know people here...
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I will get annoyed when someone tries to correct my reasoning with little or no idea of the issue so no, I will not shut up.

I don't care if I don't know you. very few people ever do 'know' people from the internet.

If you are wrong I will tell you that you are wrong. Seems people like doing that in the forums.

I take everyones point of view into account and then take my own personal experciance as well. Nothing you say makes me want to definitly do what you tell me to do.

I love the PCformat forums as they are varid and helpfull but I don't like the lack of respect that is dominating the posts and threads.

I would like to go back to the topic now, thankyou.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Frozenfireside wrote:I will get annoyed when someone tries to correct my reasoning with little or no idea of the issue so no, I will not shut up.

I don't care if I don't know you. very few people ever do 'know' people from the internet.

If you are wrong I will tell you that you are wrong. Seems people like doing that in the forums.

I take everyones point of view into account and then take my own personal experciance as well. Nothing you say makes me want to definitly do what you tell me to do.

I love the PCformat forums as they are varid and helpfull but I don't like the lack of respect that is dominating the posts and threads.

I would like to go back to the topic now, thankyou.
Bwhahahaahh, dude what ever, then dont ask for help, coz it seems as if you not gonna trust other peoples views and thoughts on their experience or knowledge based on what they know.

Frozenfireside = F***ingFireStarter oh sorry but this is my respect to you.

:evil: :evil: :!: :!:
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I just reloaded XP-My settings in FEAR are waaay higher now and my FPS are much better.

I hate to say this but I like XP. WOW. I never thought I would say that.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I had the first couple of Blue Screens the other day on Vista :cry: when I was busy installing the new Creative sound drivers and other XP apps, some memory dump error or something, it makes my OC restart... I'll try get some updates next month when my caps looking better. Other than that Im loving Vista and I dont think I'll go back to XP
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

I'm using Vista-64 at the moment and I've had no problems with it so far. Looks good and runs smooth.
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

silv3rback wrote:I had the first couple of Blue Screens the other day on Vista :cry: when I was busy installing the new Creative sound drivers and other XP apps, some memory dump error or something, it makes my OC restart... I'll try get some updates next month when my caps looking better. Other than that Im loving Vista and I dont think I'll go back to XP
Im loving Vista, but its more for high spec hardware and next gen hardware i think!!

Took me the whole of 20 mins to get my Vista to blue screen after 1st install, driver issue with sound card..

!!

Sponsor of
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

I wish they'd left the way the OS reads NTFS partitions alone... :( lol
Molean

Post by Molean »

I'm thinking of making the move to Vista. I want to get 32bit Ultimate Retail version. Where's the cheapest I can purchase it from?
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

My vista on my laptop seems ok now that I redid it to factory settings. Only thing is I need a new antivirus for it since bitdefender 10 plus did not stop the virus or whatever it was messing my programs up. Now I have only the default programs. Will photoshop cs3 work in vista?
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

Molean wrote:I'm thinking of making the move to Vista. I want to get 32bit Ultimate Retail version. Where's the cheapest I can purchase it from?
Retail is very expensive, think the price was about R2300 odd, might be wrong...

Sponsor of
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thinice wrote:think the price was about R2300 odd, might be wrong...
You are wrong. I paid R3700 for my retail copy of Vista Ultimate. ;)

By the way Molean, you dont buy Vista Ultimate retail in 32 bit or 64 bit, it comes with both discs.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

Yes u are correct, sorry

Sponsor of
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thinice wrote:Yes u are correct, sorry
Dont be sorry, be scared.

ROFL!!! Just kidding dude ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.