Top ten reasons why u should use LINUX

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
rustypup

Re: Top ten reasons why u should use LINUX

Post by rustypup »

shiv wrote:surely linux is more vulnerable since it is open source?
firstly, this is a common fallacy... open source remains more secure for this very reason... for every user looking for an exploit there are probably 10 looking to block them... the other big plus is, once an exploit is discovered, a kludge is generally published within 24 hours and a repo-based fix within 48...

this was wonderfully illustrated when a new *nix-centric virus was found to be bugged and was then fixed by the community to get it to run on a wider selection of *nix platforms... this wasn't in the interests of being malicious, but to understand the type of vulnerability and to get a better understanding of how to prevent similar attacks in the future...

secondly, as previously stated, if i have physical control of the machine, no OS is secure... remote attacks are easier through windows simply because windows is a tramp when it comes to both networking and file systems... (even funnier, when MS made a half-hearted attempt to secure the file system, the user base started squealing like a trapped shrew... )
shiv wrote:the point about drivers is that setting up hardware can be a pain.
again... this is not an issue with the OS but the vendor... sadly, the hardware support in *nix outstrips windows in many respects only because of community input... (i get that, historically, many of the vendors were locked into MS via, what is now considered to be, anti-competitive clauses, but this should no longer be a factor...)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote:
shiv wrote:surely linux is more vulnerable since it is open source?
firstly, this is a common fallacy... open source remains more secure for this very reason... for every user looking for an exploit there are probably 10 looking to block them... the other big plus is, once an exploit is discovered, a kludge is generally published within 24 hours and a repo-based fix within 48...

this was wonderfully illustrated when a new *nix-centric virus was found to be bugged and was then fixed by the community to get it to run on a wider selection of *nix platforms... this wasn't in the interests of being malicious, but to understand the type of vulnerability and to get a better understanding of how to prevent similar attacks in the future...

secondly, as previously stated, if i have physical control of the machine, no OS is secure... remote attacks are easier through windows simply because windows is a tramp when it comes to both networking and file systems... (even funnier, when MS made a half-hearted attempt to secure the file system, the user base started squealing like a trapped shrew... )
again... this is not an issue with the OS but the vendor... sadly, the hardware support in *nix outstrips windows in many respects only because of community input... (i get that, historically, many of the vendors were locked into MS via, what is now considered to be, anti-competitive clauses, but this should no longer be a factor...)
thank you rustypup!!! :P
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Kronos wrote:Clearly written by a true Linux Fanboy!
1. Simply because there are billions more windows users. If they all convert to linux, so will the virus writers.
2. The exact statement remains to be seen, but it is faster than windows at least.
3. This is just absolute BS. This is exactly the reason why most people choose Windows. Because it's more user friendly.
4. True. It's free. But as with free beer (which would probably be terrible), you have to use it too.
5. That's just a conspiricy theory.
6. But those apps were still written FOR Windows. If linux was so popular, they would have been written for Linux.
7. Again, BS. This is just the fanboy talking.
8. Wait, what? It's only "Fun" to geeks who have no life outside of computers. ;)
The normal user who has no clue about computers won't be having fun with the OS.
9. How does this apply to normal users??? probably 0.01% of PC users can code. Let alone good enough to do anything to Linux.
10. Oh for Gods sake! This is a feature????
The author should get off his fanboy high-horse!

Regardless of what the forum's own linux fanboys would say, Linux is still just a geek toy.
LOL I posted the above on http://www.internetling.com/2008/03/14/ ... reference/

Before the above post, its all linux is soooo good and linux is soo good.
And after kronos's post it kinda went down hill. :lol:

Edit stuff like this
I hate *** damn Fing liars like you! I swear to *** Id love to beat all you Linux zealots in the head with a hammer.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

SBSP wrote:
1. Simply because there are billions more windows users. If they all convert to linux, so will the virus writers.
2. The exact statement remains to be seen, but it is faster than windows at least.
3. This is just absolute BS. This is exactly the reason why most people choose Windows. Because it's more user friendly.
4. True. It's free. But as with free beer (which would probably be terrible), you have to use it too.
6. But those apps were still written FOR Windows. If linux was so popular, they would have been written for Linux.
8. Wait, what? It's only "Fun" to geeks who have no life outside of computers. ;)
The normal user who has no clue about computers won't be having fun with the OS.
9. How does this apply to normal users??? probably 0.01% of PC users can code. Let alone good enough to do anything to Linux.

Regardless of what the forum's own linux fanboys would say, Linux is still just a geek toy.
LOL I posted the above on http://www.internetling.com/2008/03/14/ ... reference/

Before the above post, its all linux is soooo good and linux is soo good.
And after kronos's post it kinda went down hill. :lol:

Edit stuff like this
I hate *** damn Fing liars like you! I swear to *** Id love to beat all you Linux zealots in the head with a hammer.
Wahahaha that is brilliant SBSP. Gr8 move.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

LOL Funny hey!
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

rustypup wrote:
The vendors also won't use up resources that target <5% of PC's. That's the main reason why they don't write drivers. How long have they been free to support whatever platform they want?
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
gmccumskey

Post by gmccumskey »

I thought I would respond to this first page post point-by-point. The above was in response to the OP's link:

1. Not true. Linux's entire setup is based around security first. This is also one of the reasons it has been slow to mainstream is because of the efforts of trying to convert a security-first, user-experience secondary OS into something easier to use for people who don't want to be kludged around by security.

2. Try running Kubuntu with KDE 4.2 on a laptop that uses an Intel 945GM graphics with full transparency, glass and animated effects like I have. Try then to run Windows Vista Aero on the same machine with ... erm .... rather don't .. I don't want to be responsible for the consequences...

3. Wrong again. The reason people stick with Windows is familiarity not ease of use. Again, try Kubuntu 9.04 and tell me again that its harder to use than Windows.... But pretty please, if you do ... take at least more than 10 minutes. It is a new interface so things might not be exactly where Microsoft dictate they should be.

4. Its free ... In every possible way. In price, freedom (as in rights) and freedom to alter as you see fit. I find that fact incredibly handy if something does go wrong. Something goes wrong on Windows and your options are to pay money.

5. Try reading that comment first. He is saying that because of its open-source nature you can see exactly what it does. With Windows, Microsoft keep the source closed so you have no idea if Microsoft is actually sending all your browsing habits to a central server or what they might be doing behind the scenes. You hope that they are ethical enough not to. With Linux, you can confirm it! And FYI .. many many people already have!

6. Linux has far more reliably accessible applications for it than Windows does. I say reliable because I do not need to go to a dodgy little download site and hope the author of that cool looking software hasn't included a trojan or other malware in his code. Also, as an example of Wine, I have found games such as World of Warcraft, Half Life 2, etc actually run better on Linux through Wine than natively on my Windows install.

7. Again not true. Would you like screenshots of my desktop after a base install? Or screenshots of my desktop after 10 minutes of setting up to look the way I like? My boss, who is a Mac "fanboy" actually said to me yesterday that Kubuntu 9.04 beats Mac OS X in looks! (He owns a Mac Book Pro in fact)

8. Well it is fun and I am no Linux geek. Try customising the look of Windows? Try finding applets for your desktop without opening a browser. Oh wait .. Vista doesn't have that. Nevermind.

9. Help doesn't mean code. You can help by simply allowing automated bug reports to be sent to the developers. Its a simple case of selecting yes when a bug report pops up. How many times have I had to do that? Never! Never had a bug so bad that required me to send a bug report. I am still getting flaky behaviour from Windows XP ... apparently Microsoft's best OS ever.

10 Lighten up.