What to get? PS3 or Xbox360

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Frozenfireside wrote:
Who cares about backward compatibility
Quite a lot of people hactually.
Like to back up that statement with a few names? just a few... from this forum maybe?...

Dont assume.

Edit: I'm still laughing at this, who buys a PS3 to play PS2 games?
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

ICE-VaPa wrote:Like to back up that statement with a few names? just a few... from this forum...

Dont assume.
ROFL! WTH Dude? It doesn't take a rocket scientist or Rustypup to figure out that backwards compatibility is something most people would rather have. It means a larger selection of games for your console making it way more valuable. I for example would still like to play Final Fantasy XII and a zillion other PS1&2 games I've missed.
ICE-VaPa wrote:Edit: I'm still laughing at this, who buys a PS3 to play PS2 games?
I would. In fact, I'm playing FFVIII at the moment - you are obviously one of those people who assume fancy game engines make a game. :roll:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Maybe its just me, I have the 60gig console, with backwards compatibility - As well as own ALLOT of ps2 games (as well as PS1 games) and my PS3 has yet to sniff one of the disks. I really don't feel the need to. at all.
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

D3PART3D wrote:you are obviously one of those people who assume fancy game engines make a game. :roll:
Wow, are you that offended? To circum to comments like that? Personal attacks? Pathetic. You would think I assaulted you specifically... :/

Real mature.

Good luck with your decision 1GOR. ;)
Last edited by ICE-VaPa on 06 May 2008, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Hex_Rated wrote:Blah blah blah...yadda yadda yadda
Can i ask you just one question?

Do you actually own a console?, let alone the 2 or three that alot of us here have?
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

Moses wrote:Great minds think alike. I'm also going to pick up a console soon. I'm leaning towards the xbox though. Apparently the xbox is going to be upgraded to 60Gb soon. I wonder if I should wait for that...
MOSES MAH MAN!

Once again guys, thanks so much for all the responses.

I'm going with a PS3. I am convinced that it will be worth it over a 360.
Last edited by 1GOR on 06 May 2008, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
They see me trollin', they hatin'...
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

@ice-vapa
:lol: Cheer up sonny, you're just sore because you got pwned. Your comments were telling. ;)

Oh, and it's "succumb" :P
Last edited by D3PART3D on 06 May 2008, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

viceroy wrote:
Hex_Rated wrote:Blah blah blah...yadda yadda yadda
Can i ask you just one question?

Do you actually own a console?, let alone the 2 or three that alot of us here have?
Yes, I have a 8 bit Nintendo Entertainment System with special turbo controller on the A and B buttons. It's the Golden China version.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I (me and my bro) owned a console since the NES days. NES, Sega MD, Playstation, N64, PS2, Xbox 360 and now a Wii.

The one I enjoyed most was the Mega Drive. But like all good things it came to an end. I am glad I have a Wii and the nice thing of it is my family also plays on it. Meaning it's being used. And that is a good thing.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I had a NES, Master System, Megadrive, PS1 and Gameboy advanced. My brother had a PS2 that I also used almost everyday. He has a PS3 that I play on, my friends have 360s that never work so I haven't had much experience playing on them admittedly. I prefer computers but I want a PS3 mainly for GT5 / GTA4. If those games came to computer I wouldn't want one.

I agree with you about the Megadrive, that thing was way ahead of it's time. Sonic was one of the best games ever.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Zaa

Post by Zaa »

larch wrote:
StarBound wrote: Reading this thread it looks more like PS3 is the better option. But I dont see many people actually saying they own a PS3.
Yeah it is pretty funny the average South African cant pull over 4k out of his bottom for a console that wont even able to play his old PS 1 & 2 games. Let alone have money for Blu-Ray movies and a HD TV
The average South African does not buy video game consoles.
ImageImage
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

1GOR wrote:
Moses wrote:Great minds think alike. I'm also going to pick up a console soon. I'm leaning towards the xbox though. Apparently the xbox is going to be upgraded to 60Gb soon. I wonder if I should wait for that...
MOSES MAH MAN!

hey homo.

I read that there is going to be a GTA4 starter pack for the PS3... Not sure if it will come to SA.
But congrats on choosing PS3.

I own a PS3, and it's really an awesome machine. i haven't used it alot since I bought it 1 year ago honestly, compared to my pc, or PS1/PS2 when I got them, but the really good hits are starting to come out en force.
And this machine is set to last ~10 years.

PS1: 1994-2002 (still awesome games came out in 2001 and 2002, hence why i only got a PS2 in 2003)
PS2: 1999-2008 and still going
PS3: 2006- surely at least a couple of years ;)

So enjoy your system, and the reliability that it offers.
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

Noes! How do you know I'm gay ; )

LOL! I'm sure I'll dig it bro, getting one after work tomorrow, along with GTA IV and then its PAAAARTEH TIME!
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Lucker! Btw does this "PAAAARTEH" involve lemons? :!: 8O

Im still waiting for my GTA4 Special edition to arrive... fracking kalahari.net. May they die in a fire, along with frontosa. :|
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

zerubabel wrote:Lucker! Btw does this "PAAAARTEH" involve lemons? :!: 8O

Im still waiting for my GTA4 Special edition to arrive... fracking kalahari.net. May they die in a fire, along with frontosa. :|
LOL L2P man! Jokes, hope you get it soon. The SE looks awesome but alas, I am a mere paper pusher so the regular version will have to do for me ; )

Btw PARTEH involves bananas ; )
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

zerubabel wrote:Lucker! Btw does this "PAAAARTEH" involve lemons? :!: 8O

LOL L2P man! Jokes, hope you get it soon. The SE looks awesome but alas, I am a mere paper pusher so the regular version will have to do for me ; )

Btw PARTEH involves bananas ; )
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

I'm OG, but alas this country is homo. I need to start organising drive by's on a massive scale. Maybe then an OG gonna get some respek.

I guess thar is gonna being sum banana-trains??? :cyclopsani:
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

maestro_za wrote:I have a hi-def TV, but that is in anticipation of digital broadcasting in this country. 2010 WC FTW!
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the broadcasting upgrade that is supposed to be taking place doesn't spell HDTV for us. The broadcasting infrastructure is just being upgraded from analog to digital, but the picture is still going to be SDTV or EDTV at best! :( HDTV will only happen in the far off future.
ICE-VaPa wrote:Edit: I'm still laughing at this, who buys a PS3 to play PS2 games?
That's like saying you must buy a PS3, as welll as a PS2 or keep your PS2 to play old games! :roll: Like someone else said, some of the classic games are a lot of fun to play. I'm all for the PS3 but lack of BC is a major let down. However from what I understood I thought Sony only removed the hardware to run PS2 games, but the console in and of itself would be powerful enough to run the games in a type of emulation mode? :?
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

You can run PS2 games emulated, yes... And if you really want backwards compatibility, buy the 80gb version. Simple.
Don't whine that 'there is no more backward compatibility' simply because the cheapest offering, the 40GB PS3, doesnt have B/C for PS1 games.

A lot of people don't need B/C.. but if you're one of those that do, get an 80GB PS3.
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

1GOR wrote:
MOSES MAH MAN!

Great for you bud.

Don't mind the fanboy's, they tend to get agitated if someone encroaches on their territory.

A good idea would be to sign up on the local ps3 forums. The okes over there are mostly helpful with just about anything. Also, you can get many games (mostly preplayed) at great prices.
Check here

If you check the thread from the start there are a handful of us that own both consoles and this was their opinion:
ICE-VaPa wrote:My honest opinion (having owned both, and a PC fanboy) is to go with the PS3. The Xbox360 has a large game database which puts it in the lead to date. However, most of the ps3 exclusive titles are surfacing THIS year, like LittleBigWorld, Haze, Metal Gear Solid 4 ect. Which IMHO will make the PS3 a much better investment at this late stage. If you where buying in the beginning of the year I would have said the 360 hands down.

As a media centre your getting Blue Ray, and MUCH easier streaming of audio and video with the PS3. The interface is also allot more elegant and has a very professional feel.

Good Luck with your decision! :)

(EDIT: Also you don't need to pay monthly fees to game on-line with the PS3, and the in game Dashboard will be released soon)
Zaa wrote:I have both and I would recommend the PS3. Its future proof, and has a killer list of upcoming exclusives and as someone said, most of the 360 games are released on PC somewhere down the line and they are very similar to PC games so if you have a gaming PC, you rather get a PS3.

Also, I think the Xbox 360 has peaked already when it comes to games.

Get a Wii if you like playing games once every 4 months.
And myself, of course.
Most of the rest would amount to biased speculation at best.

And don't stress backwards compatibility. From both experience and evidence (check the local ps3 forums) most guys don't even bother with it. I sold my ps2 games so I could buy some more ps3 ones :)

And if you really need backwards compatibility right now as you don't want to play the dozens of next gen games on the ps3, get an 80GB model. But I'm sure you wouldn't want to pass that up. :wink:

One last thing. Truly speaking, buying a HD screen in SA would be a waste so many guys hook up their consoles to their monitors, preferably a 22". The difference between the LCD and a hd screen is only on paper.
I've got both my 360 and ps3 hooked up to my 22" and having owned a HD TV the difference is zero to none.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Good decision, let us know how you enjoy it... :)
Moses

Post by Moses »

I was set on the Xbox, mostly because it's cheaper, but now I see I can get the PS3 for < R3,000, which is only a few hundred more than I can get the Xbox for.

hmmmm. :?:
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

where u getting the PS3 for R3000?
1GOR

Post by 1GOR »

I will do Ryan ; )

Thanks ZeroS, I'll probably be hooking it up to a LCD monitor, its only 19" inch though and not wide, so maybe I'll just jam it on my parents HD widescreen.

Off to work for me, peace guys.

ps. Moses, gogo PS3 bru ; )
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Fish_man wrote:where u getting the PS3 for R3000?
Good question.
Forum Points: 25 618 :)