Ever wondered what an Xbox360 looks like inside? Looky!

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Keep in mind that the consoles will need controllers, PSU, cables, and memory unit or HDD.

Depending on the chosen route you can end up spending close to R1800 for everything.

Might be better for Joe Average to just buy a good secondhand unit.
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

Lol, I'm glad you could get something worthwhile out of our misfortune!

We considered repairing them ourselves, but pretty much the cost of doing so (plus the likelihood of the console failing again - pretty high :() made us decide to just do straight swaps for new ones and then junk the old ones.

Btw, if you need some accessories give me a call - I have got some lying around....

Enjoy the back-from-the-dead Xboxes :D

Artagra
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Nice one DAE!
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Good, now sell me one for R400, pleaaase :)
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
TheMartyr

Post by TheMartyr »

lol
where can we buy dead consoles?
Hello im a signature
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Nice one Dae... I just organised myself and XBox 360 with a faulty DVD drive, for free... picking it up this afternoon... I will try changing the mounting brackets' screws etc. before I start on the DVD drive. Thanks Dae for the tutorial!
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Fekkit, I want one too.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thanks guys! :D

TheMartyr wrote:lol
where can we buy dead consoles?
From people who have dead consoles ;)

M1K3 wrote:Nice one Dae... I just organised myself and XBox 360 with a faulty DVD drive, for free... picking it up this afternoon... I will try changing the mounting brackets' screws etc. before I start on the DVD drive. Thanks Dae for the tutorial!
Nice, good luck! :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

hmmmm, just did a google search, if worst case scenario I can't fix the drive... Where can I get a DVD drive... Anyone know?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

You can import one, but they're pricey. Like $80US kind of pricey. And once that's done, you'll need to flash the firmware on the drive to match the firmware on your current drive.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:You can import one, but they're pricey. Like $80US kind of pricey. And once that's done, you'll need to flash the firmware on the drive to match the firmware on your current drive.
Yeah, just read that now... Well, hopefully I can fix the drive, I think a disc hit the lens when someone picked up the console while it was on, or something to that effect.... Will have a look when I get the console... oooh can't wait.... :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

If it's the lens, you can import those too. They're only about $30 or so ;)
VoidAvatar

Post by VoidAvatar »

I saw this EXACT mod a couple of months ago. Some Dutch guy. He also drilled the casing to make room for bolts that look pretty much the same as yours. Later on he also did watercooling on a second xbox, using Koolance GPU waterblocks. Will you also use Koolance waterblocks? And he mentioned that replacing the stock thermal paste usually fixes the ROD problem, even if only for a couple of hours worth of gameplay because of the damage already done by the inefficient stock cooling. Did you use his DIY guide to open your xbox, or did you just snap it open? Well I can't remember the guy's name, but maybe Dae_Ja_Voo can point us where to find this these xbox modding guides? Or he can translate it for us from Ducth to English, that'll be great!
VoidAvatar

Post by VoidAvatar »

double post. my bad
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

VoidAvatar wrote:Will you also use Koolance waterblocks?
Yep. I've already got them :)

VoidAvatar wrote:And he mentioned that replacing the stock thermal paste usually fixes the ROD problem,
I seriously doubt that simply changing thermal paste can revive a dead 360 ;)

VoidAvatar wrote:Did you use his DIY guide to open your xbox?
Well, there are millions of "Some random dutch guy"s, so i don't know ;)

VoidAvatar wrote:Well I can't remember the guy's name, but maybe Dae_Ja_Voo can point us where to find this these xbox modding guides?
I found all of the guides i used through google. I wanted to open my 360, so i googled it and found a guide ;)

VoidAvatar wrote:Or he can translate it for us from Ducth to English, that'll be great!
I could do that, since i speak 16 languages. I'll even translate a chines version for you if you please?

Just kidding ;)

Dude, i can't translate something from dutch to english ;)
PFS

Post by PFS »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Dude, i can't translate something from dutch to english ;)
I can give it a go. Linkage?

btw. super kewl stuff you getting up to DAE
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. (Stephen Hawking)
VoidAvatar

Post by VoidAvatar »

I seriously doubt that simply changing thermal paste can revive a dead 360
So what exactly fixed your dead xbox?

I think he meant temporarily, as they don't overheat initially. I saw some tests with dead xbox consoles that were given new thermal treatment, and some of them ended up running games for 2 to 3 hours before crashing with ROD. I believe most ROD issues are related to overheating. As a matter of fact, I came across a place that sells custom fans for the console, claimed to increase airflow and reduce the chances of ROD, man I should keep the links of those web sites to quote them. But I might be wrong about the ROD issue, since Wikipedia is not a reliable source. But from your guide here you basically changed the heat paste and the thing suddenly worked, or did I read it wrong? I'll read it again just to make double sure, but I don't think you mentioned anything else that you fixed...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I changed the entire way that the coolers are held in place, along with that, i overheated the console so that the soldering problems would resolder themselves.

I know of many places that sell after market coolers. I'm actually going to place an order from such a place later this afternoon ;)

EDIT, don't worry PFS, there are loads of English guides ;)
VoidAvatar

Post by VoidAvatar »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I changed the entire way that the coolers are held in place, along with that, i overheated the console so that the soldering problems would resolder themselves.

I know of many places that sell after market coolers. I'm actually going to place an order from such a place later this afternoon ;)

EDIT, don't worry PFS, there are loads of English guides ;)

Cool. What is the melting temperature of solder? Did you use a blow-torch?
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

:? :? :? you don't understand what DAE is saying are you??

Anyhow, DAE, could you possibly give us a link to this particular after market shop that you are talking about. I might be interested in some goodies. :D :D
VoidAvatar

Post by VoidAvatar »

Correct. He said "i overheated the console so that the soldering problems would resolder themselves."

I'm sorry DarkRanger but I don't understand, which is why I asked. How do you overheat a console to a point where the solder melts and resolders itself?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

DarkRanger wrote:Anyhow, DAE, could you possibly give us a link to this particular after market shop that you are talking about. I might be interested in some goodies. :D :D
Divineo.

I'm placing an order NOW NOW, so if youw ant stuff, tell me ASAP ;)

VoidAvatar wrote:How do you overheat a console to a point where the solder melts and resolders itself?
Okay, now you're gonna do something for me.

Go back to page one, and read every single word i've said in this thread, ok? You're asking questions that i've already answered.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I'm placing an order NOW NOW, so if youw ant stuff, tell me ASAP ;)

Okay, now you're gonna do something for me.

Go back to page one, and read every single word i've said in this thread, ok? You're asking questions that i've already answered.
Nah... I'll only be ordering next year.

And thanks for asking him to do that. Otherwise I would have recieved my first warning. :wink: :wink:
VoidAvatar

Post by VoidAvatar »

I DID read it. My question was "what is the melting temperature of solder?" after which I added some sarcasm by asking "did you use a blow torch?". I should have added I smiley after the second question like you do so people know when I'm serious and when I'm not. Like this :P . So I pose my dumb question again by asking the lead modder guy here what the melting temperature of solder is. And the reason why I don't understand is because according to Wikipedia it is about 180 °C which will surely fry just about any graphics chip. Sure, the chip itself might not even come close to that temperature when in DAE_JA_VOO's "overheat" mode but the soldering that needs to be melted is right under that chip. Yet, you fastened the heatsinks only moderately in order to heat the chip for the solder to melt. So the heat does in fact transfer to the chip itself. Excuse me for being a noob, but it doesn't make sense to me that the amount of heat required to melt the solder does not in some way damage any other components in the system.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

VoidAvatar wrote:I DID read it. My question was "what is the melting temperature of solder?"
No, that's not what your question was. You asked "how do you overheat it?"

VoidAvatar wrote:So I pose my dumb question again by asking the lead modder guy here what the melting temperature of solder is
No, not AGAIN, but for the first time.

And what's this about lead modder? Image

Look dude, i don't quite catch it either, but it's a theory that i read, and tried, and it worked for me (and a few HUNDRED members on the xbox-scene forum).