Forum Suggestions and Requests

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Re: Forum Suggestions and Requests

Post by D3PART3D »

Suggestion: Spoiler and Youtube tag buttons for the quick reply?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

If you are here most of the time anyway - why ask for notifications? It affects your DSL account, your mailbox size etc. Just keep one window open on the latest topics - Ronny has that refresh every few minutes and you get to see where replies are being made.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Tribble wrote:If you are here most of the time anyway - why ask for notifications? It affects your DSL account, your mailbox size etc. Just keep one window open on the latest topics - Ronny has that refresh every few minutes and you get to see where replies are being made.
Yeah, basically a manual side.bar like we used to have. just some more effort and clicking and frustration and windows and tabs required. Nice tip btw Tribble. :wink:
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Synthesis, oh come on - you can't be that lazy :P If I can do it - you can too :twisted:
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

I have 2 issues

I was reading this page while not logged in. So I click login, entered my details and hit the login button...and it dumped me on the Index Page.
Please direct me to the page I was last on after loggin on OR add it as a hyperlinked option.

When getting a notification of a reply to a thread, I'm presented to a login screen instead of the replied post...I first wanna see if the post is worth replying to before I even bother to login.
So rather show me the actual thread FIRST then I can decide if I want to log in or not.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Prime

Post by Prime »

That is true tribs.

Soulblade, it does it to me too. :?

Another version i saw on an american forum was a daily update, assuming a topic gets a reply, you get one update with a summary of responses. You can then chose to visit the topic.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Prime wrote: Another version i saw on an american forum was a daily update, assuming a topic gets a reply, you get one update with a summary of responses. You can then chose to visit the topic.
Ooo, this is really a nice one.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Guys, why do we have the option to turn word cencoring on? Words and sometimes posts, get censored regardless. So how about removing the option or allowing us to actually turn it off but leaving it enabled by default? :?
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Prime wrote:Guys, why do we have the option to turn word cencoring on? Words and sometimes posts, get censored regardless. So how about removing the option or allowing us to actually turn it off but leaving it enabled by default? :?
I think that would kinda kill the whole family forum kinda vibe we got going here. Dont really know why you would need to see if someones swearing, coz most likely the feature is gonna be abused.....
Personally, I think if you really wanna swear just say ****

There we go, I feel better now, stress gone :lol: :lol:
Prime

Post by Prime »

g0ldback wrote:
Prime wrote:Guys, why do we have the option to turn word cencoring on? Words and sometimes posts, get censored regardless. So how about removing the option or allowing us to actually turn it off but leaving it enabled by default? :?
I think that would kinda kill the whole family forum kinda vibe we got going here. Dont really know why you would need to see if someones swearing, coz most likely the feature is gonna be abused.....
Personally, I think if you really wanna swear just say ****

There we go, I feel better now, stress gone :lol: :lol:
Hence my question as to why the feature even exists. :?

Oh and if you payed attention in the spam thread, you'd see that this is not a family forum :twisted:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

SoulBlade wrote:I was reading this page while not logged in. So I click login, entered my details and hit the login button...and it dumped me on the Index Page.
Please direct me to the page I was last on after loggin on OR add it as a hyperlinked option.
Just log on before you start browsing the forum! :P

I could maybe look at this if it starts becoming a serious issue, but right now it's probably not worth the effort.
SoulBlade wrote:When getting a notification of a reply to a thread, I'm presented to a login screen instead of the replied post...I first wanna see if the post is worth replying to before I even bother to login.
So rather show me the actual thread FIRST then I can decide if I want to log in or not.
You see, you only get one notification email, you only get more once you've read the topic. The forum asks you to login so that it knows that you've read the topic and can receive more notification mails. I'm not changing this behaviour. Ever.
Prime wrote:Another version i saw on an american forum was a daily update, assuming a topic gets a reply, you get one update with a summary of responses. You can then chose to visit the topic.
To be honest, I've never seen it on a forum, although it's common amongst mailing lists. It sounds good in theory, but just think what would happen if someone used this on the English Spam Thread on a day that americantsm1, g0ldback and Tribble were all posting along happily... :P

Given that scenario, I'd take the current system, thank you. :wink:
There is a setting in the ACP that allows usergroups to be given the option to turn word censoring off - at present, only the mods and admins have that permission.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ron2K wrote:just think what would happen if someone used this on the English Spam Thread on a day that americantsm1, g0ldback and Tribble were all posting along happily... :P
Yikes! :shock: That's almost as bad as having Firestrm on MSN. :shock:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ron2K wrote:
Prime wrote:Another version i saw on an american forum was a daily update, assuming a topic gets a reply, you get one update with a summary of responses. You can then chose to visit the topic.
To be honest, I've never seen it on a forum, although it's common amongst mailing lists. It sounds good in theory, but just think what would happen if someone used this on the English Spam Thread on a day that americantsm1, g0ldback and Tribble were all posting along happily... :P

Given that scenario, I'd take the current system, thank you. :wink:

I'm sure i have an example i could email you :P

It only shows the first ten replies and without pictures :) its only one notification a day regardless of wether you actually look at the topic :D
Ron2K wrote:
There is a setting in the ACP that allows usergroups to be given the option to turn word censoring off - at present, only the mods and admins have that permission.
Its also in the user control panel, hence i'm wondering what the point of it is :lol:
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Prime wrote: It only shows the first ten replies and without pictures :) its only one notification a day regardless of wether you actually look at the topic :D
Nice idea but can I maybe suggest an improvement. A side.bar with the notifications. Personalised with, like you want, subscribed topics showing the last reply. :D :P :D
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Synthesis wrote:
Prime wrote: It only shows the first ten replies and without pictures :) its only one notification a day regardless of wether you actually look at the topic :D
Nice idea but can I maybe suggest an improvement. A side.bar with the notifications. Personalised with, like you want, subscribed topics showing the last reply. :D :P :D
Please read page on of this topic.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Ron2K wrote:
SoulBlade wrote:I was reading this page while not logged in. So I click login, entered my details and hit the login button...and it dumped me on the Index Page.
Just log on before you start browsing the forum! :P

I could maybe look at this if it starts becoming a serious issue, but right now it's probably not worth the effort.
It's quite irritating as the link in the notification email points to the relevant thread. Being dumped elsewhere is not nice. And this is the only forum I know of that do this. Anyway, I'll be looking forward to the amendment.
Ron2K wrote:
SoulBlade wrote:When getting a notification of a reply to a thread, I'm presented to a login screen instead of the replied post...I first wanna see if the post is worth replying to before I even bother to login.

You see, you only get one notification email, you only get more once you've read the topic. The forum asks you to login so that it knows that you've read the topic and can receive more notification mails. I'm not changing this behaviour. Ever.
Lol, I understand. You're still being a spoil sport. ;-)
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

hey not sure if this was mentioned. but what about having a news feed for each thread on the fourum and then ppl can subscribe to it? mybroadband has this feature and i love it. forget notification emails. you can let the feed tell you that there is new messages and you can read it and decide if you wanna reply?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

DeathStrike wrote:hey not sure if this was mentioned. but what about having a news feed for each thread on the fourum and then ppl can subscribe to it? mybroadband has this feature and i love it. forget notification emails. you can let the feed tell you that there is new messages and you can read it and decide if you wanna reply?
My research on this suggests that RSS feeds will be implemented in phpBB 3.2, currently under development.
Prime

Post by Prime »

DeathStrike wrote:hey not sure if this was mentioned. but what about having a news feed for each thread on the fourum and then ppl can subscribe to it? mybroadband has this feature and i love it. forget notification emails. you can let the feed tell you that there is new messages and you can read it and decide if you wanna reply?
like a sidebar?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Prime wrote:
like a sidebar?
No like RSS.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Prime wrote:
like a sidebar?
That's a brilliant idea! Best one in this whole thread.
I second that. +2
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Synthesis wrote:
Prime wrote:
like a sidebar?
That's a brilliant idea! Best one in this whole thread.
I second that. +2
:slap:

On a serious note, it could end up being a worthy replacement, it just depends on how it's implemented. Ideally, you'd have an RSS feed per category (i.e. one for Hardware, one for Software, one for Modding, and so forth). Could maybe have parent forum feeds automatically incorporating subforum feeds (e.g. the Modding feed would include the Project Logs topics as well). Like I said, it depends on how the phpBB development team decides to implement it - I'll see how involved I can get with the development process and see if I could influence things a bit.

As far as RSS feed readers go, for when this eventually comes - there are plenty of freeware ones out there, and IIRC even Outlook 2007 has a built-in feed reader.
Prime

Post by Prime »

RuadRauFlessa,

I know what RSS is. :roll:

Ron2K,

Sounds interesting :)
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

ok cool so its just a mater of waiting.... wish i was more patient :P
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Could we add something to the site where we can flag a topic as a technical resource. Then add a search where you can search on technical issues and the search would only return results from those that are flagged. Would be great if we can build up a knowledge base with a search functionality. We could also flag questions as resolved and such. Would help people a lot.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932