Vista is out - What do you think?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KillerByte wrote:its like a retarded elderly person
:roll:

when all's said and done, it's just an operating system. it manages IO and human interface tasks, like every other OS out there. on top of which it manages to chug 1 gig of ram, where linux produces similar looks for much less cost. that, my friend, is retarded economies of scale. what the elderly have to do with it is a little confusing. (i profess to find your views on the elderly and infirm a little disturbing - especially when we take into account the cold hard fact that you too will spend some time being both, someday.)

finally, given your morally ambiguous life, can you prove legal purchase of your copy of vista?... i ask only because someone who refuses to spend R300 on a game probably isn't going to shell out for an OS.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Soap wrote:I think it's so absolutely ridiculous for an operating system to demand 2GB RAM to be "enjoyable", least actually being economically viable. We need operating system that don't require new hardware when upgrading. And yes, I have the latest nvidia drivers installed and hardware acceleration is working, though it's primarily occupied with the eyecandy effects of Aero.
Hey, got DOS? Version 6.1 is very nice and it won't cripple your poonjab pc.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
DuncanMcCloud

Post by DuncanMcCloud »

Soap wrote:I think it's so absolutely ridiculous for an operating system to demand 2GB RAM to be "enjoyable", least actually being economically viable. We need operating system that don't require new hardware when upgrading. And yes, I have the latest nvidia drivers installed and hardware acceleration is working, though it's primarily occupied with the eyecandy effects of Aero.
R450 for a gig of ram...
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

rustypup wrote:
KillerByte wrote:its like a retarded elderly person

when all's said and done, it's just an operating system. it manages IO and human interface tasks, like every other OS out there. on top of which it manages to chug 1 gig of ram, where linux produces similar looks for much less cost. that, my friend, is retarded economies of scale. what the elderly have to do with it is a little confusing. (i profess to find your views on the elderly and infirm a little disturbing - especially when we take into account the cold hard fact that you too will spend some time being both, someday.)

finally, given your morally ambiguous life, can you prove legal purchase of your copy of vista?... i ask only because someone who refuses to spend R300 on a game probably isn't going to shell out for an OS.
This is so typical of KB, saying abhorrent things like this. I guess it goes with his inability to care about anyone but himself and to think he calls me rude behind my back? :roll:

But back on topic I would like Vista if I could sort out the following problem?
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I think your only option is to repartition and reformat the drive.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

well i installed vista ultimate...used it for a few days...formatted and installed xp media centre...thats what i think of vista hahahah
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Yeah I have ultimate (as my work paid for it) and I have used it but it's waaaay to buggy for my likeing.

I get Win32k.sys errors (Ati who said I must update my drivers past 7.3-I'm at 7.6)
I can't install Xp with Vista in the system-Vista is not a happy camper with XP.
My mates vista wont keep his VPN settings.
I use 96% of 2gigs under FEAR combat which I think is a memory leak.
XP is faster. Xp is more stable. Suse still kicks XP's bottom though which is no surprise but gaming on Suse is limited.

Suse can handle a triboot system. XP and vista cant handle each other (you can install Vista after XP but try doing it the other way round-It mostly gives hassles with a dual boot setup.)

In short-Vista sucks..for now.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Frozenfireside wrote:I get Win32k.sys errors (Ati who said I must update my drivers past 7.3-I'm at 7.6)
Well that's obviously an ATI driver issue, that's not Vista's fault

Frozenfireside wrote:I can't install Xp with Vista in the system-Vista is not a happy camper with XP.
That's correct, YOU cant. I actually happen to have had my system dual booting XP and Vista until recently. Just because YOu can't do it doesn't mean it's not possible.

Frozenfireside wrote:My mates vista wont keep his VPN settings.
Well shame for him. Also not a Vista Issue.

Frozenfireside wrote:I use 96% of 2gigs under FEAR combat which I think is a memory leak.
A memory leak? You actually blame that on VIsta?! That's a FEAR issue dude, not a Vista Issue.

Frozenfireside wrote:Suse can handle a triboot system. XP and vista cant handle each other (you can install Vista after XP but try doing it the other way round-It mostly gives hassles with a dual boot setup.)
Man, i can quad boot XP, Vista, Suse, and Ubuntu. Like i said, just because YOU can't do it doesn't mean it's not possible.

None of your statements are valid.

Enjoy your day Image
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

OK. I get none of these errors in XP.
Let me elaborate on some things.

Yes thats an Ati issue but under Vista conditions-Almost every boot its BSOD-Now I sent my card in to be replaced as I thought it might be that but they found no issue. 7.7 has been downloaded.

I cant Dual boot with Vista and XP unless I remove the Vista drive and install XP. I don't want to have to do that. Thats not how an install should happen.

I did have a triboot purring along happily at one stage. Xp installed then vista and then Suse 10.1 which is the way its ment to be. My Xp install needed a format and reinstall so I did and then the issues with Vista started.

Vista stores the VPN settings-How is the settings being lost not vistas fault?
What can we blame for that other then Vista?

memory leak-Yes it is/could be a fear problem but that only happens under Vista-Do see the problem? XP is fine.
I'm sure Sierra is gonne launch a compatability patch.

My biggest point is that all problems only occured under Vista conditions.
Thats why I hate Vista.
Suse is what Vista should have been.
Ubuntu is good and I do like the fact that I can just load Ubuntu and use my NTFS HDD's but suse just needs a few lines base in to make it see teh NTFS partitions.

I have just got Suse 10.2 and Ubuntu 7.04 64bit ed-I will try get a triboot up and running as I do like certain vista features.

I cant wait for SP1 for Vista tho. That might swing me back.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

i have been running vista since its RC2 RTM. I now am running a retail Ulitmate.

I spit on the boringness os XP. I love Vista, its beautiful (XP isn't), I find it actually faster (therefore, I am saying that XP is slow), Vista is compatible with every game I have tried (just like XP), I have all the latest drivers and I have no issues (which is the way its supposed to be right?) oh, and the install is quicker and less user requirement than XP.

So XP can suck some hairy part of my anatomy before I go back to it.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Go back to what? The hairy part of your anatomy??

Vista adds NO new value to the current gaming environment except for DX 10, which doesnt really have any games yet. Thus, as of this moment in time - XP uses less memory, is easier to use (tweak and config...) ...

XP >> Vista

Hell, Win98 >> Vista

I hate the menu structure and control panel in Vista... It felt like it was designed for people like Killerbyte...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

the reason you dislike the menu system is because you lack the mental power to actually learn something new.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Or because I have the mental power to not use a 'n00blet menu' ?

I have not used the full release of Vista yet, only RC2... Hated it... It really felt like it was designed with idiots in mind... Did not leave that raw feel for quickly changing some settings... you had to filter through all the bling just to see where you wanted to go...

By the way - what do you do for a living? Seeing as you are so mentally supreme?

you can not even come up with your own quote, have to steal and change a quote from top gear... Sad sad sad sad...
My BF2142 Stats:

lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Chill my brothers :!: :?
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Sorry lance - You can delete my posts... I will ignore him for now...
My BF2142 Stats:

DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

You know what is sad slasher?

The fact that at some or other time, almost everybody is going to use Vista for the DirectX10 add to games. It's just not now. And yet, you and Killerbyte fight like goku and vegeta. AKA like babies.

If you don't like vista, it's not necesary to go and fight about it. I mean, hell dude, you act like you're 4. Give your say, if someone doesn't like it, let it be.

Vista is not very good atm, but I'm sure that on XP's release, it also struggled. You know microsoft, nothing works first time round. Give it time to update and for SP1 to release in November 07, and I'm sure it will begin to make a difference.
Last edited by DarkRanger on 26 Jul 2007, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

Been running Vista ULT for some time now, had a few issues here and there...

But man does it eat RAM

My posts are my own and not those of DigitalSAonline.co.za

South Africa's Online Web Store for Gamers.
http://www.DigitalSAOnline.co.za

Sponsor of
http://www.proximitylan.co.za
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Thinice wrote:Been running Vista ULT for some time now, had a few issues here and there...

But man does it eat RAM
Especially with startup!!! 8O
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

Needed 1 gig a while back to run games, then BF2 came out, upgraded to 2 gigs, now Vista comes out and u need 3 in order to run Vista and your games

:cry:

Sponsor of
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Vista is not very good atm, but I'm sure that on XP's release, it also struggled. You know microsoft, nothing works first time round. Give it time to update and for SP1 to release in November 07, and I'm sure it will begin to make a difference.
Yeah of course it will change.

This kind of debate always happens when a new OS is released. At first some people like it, others hate it. In the end of the day, we will all eventually use Vista just like everyone who disliked XP, eventually moved to XP.

Btw Frozenfire, that BSOD issue you described is quite a big deal atm. Its a compatibility issue with Vista that nvidia and ati cards are having. Most say its vista driver related - I have no idea.

I see u tried to RMA your card? I had the same trouble with BSOD's which ended up with my GTX really being damaged. The courier is supposed to pick it up today for its long journey back to Canada.

My post with the trouble I had, here

Nvidia forums thread discussing the problem, here
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Thinice wrote:Needed 1 gig a while back to run games, then BF2 came out, upgraded to 2 gigs, now Vista comes out and u need 3 in order to run Vista and your games

You dont need 3 gigs of ram to play games under vista.

2gb of ram is fine mate :wink:
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Ok I draw the line at 98>>>Vista. Vista is not that bad.
Look I like working in Vista but I don't use the sidebar at all. Neither do I use the aero tab feature but I'm sure I will IF it was my main OS.

It will become a great OS, make no mistake, but the word in this sentence to note is 'will'.

For now I'll stick with XP and the Zune desktop theme which is alot like Vista but doesn't chow resources like some skins do.

I also think XP is dull. Not as dull as Ubuntu but then again, Ubuntu is mainly a work OS.
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

ADV4NCED wrote:
Thinice wrote:Needed 1 gig a while back to run games, then BF2 came out, upgraded to 2 gigs, now Vista comes out and u need 3 in order to run Vista and your games

How much money you wanna put down on this???

Cause when you left with 2mbs of ram in Vista while playing BF2142, then we can chat!!!

Sponsor of
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Thinice wrote:
ADV4NCED wrote:

How much money you wanna put down on this???

Cause when you left with 2mbs of ram in Vista while playing BF2142, then we can chat!!!
I'd rather not chat to begin with, believe what you want - not my problem :wink:
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

Sorry not trying to fight

Serious, i was playing 2142 in Vista and after 10 mins of game play my machine started to jerk, min to taskbar and was left with 2mb of ram

who knows, maybe some sort of mem leak!!!

Sponsor of