Project: 777 (Finally a small update 18-04-2008)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

OK, so after about 4 electicutions and lots of sweat and anticipation, I replaced the one fan in my PSU! After plenty re-wiring and trying to figure out which cable was black and red... this is how it went:

This is the fan Im gonna install, instead of the plain boring black one

1st problem, I cut the wire to the 2-pin connector WAY too short and had some hectic re-wiring issues on this one, now I know for the next fan!

The wires where just bare wires in a transparent sleeving.... no colours!

I finally got it to work! I had to connect 2 wires to the red (on the connector) and the other one connected to the black. It worked!!!!

Sorry about the quality, but this is how the fan wiring is looking so far. Dunno if I must change anything...????

After the re-wiring and taping (cant get the fancy word for the tape at the mo...) I wasnt too worried about how it looks because Im not planning on making a perspex cover for my PSU

Installed and working! Top view

Back view

Back view at night!

What you guys think? Im gonna do the other fan tomorrow, I must study this evening!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Great stuff :D

Not as bad as you thought it would be huh? :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

Looking good Silv3r...
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Looking good for sure.

I should have put a 80 red fan in my PSU. but didnt wanna mess with the wiring. and also Aopen Psu fans are quiet so.

What size PSU is that. pretty long and chunky inside. Kewl
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

It looks like my mod that was discontinued due to funding . . .
Temporary Absence
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Looks nice man. Glad you got the wiring right.
pok

Post by pok »

it coming a long nicely silv3rback - almost done 8)
Ironman SA 2011 Finisher - 15h10min
3.8km swim, 180km cycle & 42.2km run

Got the shirt to prove it.....
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Great stuff

Not as bad as you thought it would be huh?
Thanks Ettienne! It wasnt bad at all, I had a jol doing it and experienced some hectic electicutions! The one was so bad it tripped the power in my house! lol, was quite funny!
Spicy-McHaggis wrote:Looking good Silv3r...
Thanks Spicy-McHa...
Do0b wrote:Looking good for sure.

I should have put a 80 red fan in my PSU. but didnt wanna mess with the wiring. and also Aopen Psu fans are quiet so.

What size PSU is that. pretty long and chunky inside. Kewl
Re-wiring in PSU's is pretty scarey I must say, but the end product is worth it! Those Vantec 80mm's I've installed aren't too loud!
Its a pretty large PSU I know, but its got the stuff I need from it so Im happy! Its just a mission digging around and finding the right wires. if you interested here the link.
Anthropoid wrote:It looks like my mod that was discontinued due to funding . . .
Funding should never be a issue dude, Im working from min salary but I just save and get the things I want eventually. Modding takes time!

Samaya wrote:Looks nice man. Glad you got the wiring right.
Shot Samaya! It took me a while with the re-wiring because they didnt have colours, just naked wires! Not cool! But hey, I got it done!

pok wrote:it coming a long nicely silv3rback - almost done
Not nearly half done. Im getting so many interesting ideas for my mod I think this one is gonna take a while!

Plans:

Add 120mm fan support for front of chassis (where the HDD sits)
Install 1x 80mm fan near IO Shield
Install 2x 80mm fans on perspex side window
Add 120mm fan support for roof of chassis
Add some awesome grills (NOT METAL!!!!!!!)
Mod power and restart switch to touch sensative switches with blue/red background lights
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Does anyone know where I can find touch sensitive buttons (Like the ones that some lifts uses...)? I cant find them any where and I've looked through Google and the suppliers of modding stuff thread....
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Electronics 123 sells them. But they are very expensive. If I can get all the parts I'm building me and a friend one. I could build you one aswell if you want to?
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Do you maybe have a link or keyword for those switches? If you up to building me one that would be awesome! Just let me know how much!

Thanks Wik
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Well see it's a PCB with two pins. And then you connect wires to those pins and to whatever you want to use as your button. And then you're set.

Something like this

WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Cool! If I can order it I'll do it myself but if you offering to make it for me...
I'll see what I can do!

One more update coming tonday still, Im busy installing my 2nd LED fan in my PSU!
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Heres the update for my 2nd fan replacement in my PSU

I started off just the same as yesterday with the original 3-pin to 2-pin conversion

All done!

This is the fan I've installed, its the one facing inside the case, sucking air and the one facing outside blows air out

Top view

PSU closed and mounted in the case

Side panel open with CCFL's on

Back view

Back view looking through where the IO shield normally is. Hoping to get my hardware back this week some time. Sybaritic have taken ages with this repair. Its been 3 weeks so far!

What you think so far?
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Geuss whos gonna work on my PSU??!! :-P :lol:

Great stuff man!! Keep it up.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

DarkRanger wrote:Geuss whos gonna work on my PSU??!! :-P :lol:

Great stuff man!! Keep it up.
lol! Thats what I like to here. I also never thought that LED fans in a PSU would look so cool!
Glad you enjoying my mod DarkRanger

The comments mean alot to me guys, I honestly never thought my mod was going to be this popular (if it is????) but the more it flows, the more ideas I get!
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Dude, you should stop modding. Because the more you mod, the less ideas I have for a mod. I don't want to use someone elses ideas... :-P
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

DarkRanger wrote:Dude, you should stop modding. Because the more you mod, the less ideas I have for a mod. I don't want to use someone elses ideas... :-P
then your chance of making a mod is very slim :P
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

DarkRanger wrote:Dude, you should stop modding. Because the more you mod, the less ideas I have for a mod. I don't want to use someone elses ideas...
Sorry to break it to you dude... I will NEVER stop modding! I got the general idea of the shape of my perspex window, changed it about 10 times and came up with my own design. Just be imaginitive and you got a sick mod!
WiK1d wrote:then your chance of making a mod is very slim
I can only agree on that :wink: :lol:
Last edited by WAJeff on 20 Feb 2007, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Just a bit of useless info. I was really bored so I did some more rewiring and installed the 80mm fans I pulled from my PSU. One where the HDD is and one where the IO shield goes. They the LOUDEST fans I've ever come across! I can hear them even when Im blasting music. I must admit the air circulation in the case is pretty impressive but I would never keep those fans. Thinking about it now, Im gonna have a lot of fans. 2x 120mm and 6x 80mm (incl the ones from the PSU)!!!!!!

Just thought I should post that in case anyone is having ideas of putting their "quiet" PSU fans (which mine where btw when they where in the PSU!) in their case....

Til the next update :D
Prime

Post by Prime »

Hmmm are they blowing againt something or is the airflow slightly restricted on the intake. cos that makes a huge difference to the noise
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Thinking about it now, Im gonna have a lot of fans. 2x 120mm and 6x 80mm (incl the ones from the PSU)!!!!!!
Watercooling all the way for me. Fans are just Power Suckers
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

da_ripper wrote:Hmmm are they blowing againt something or is the airflow slightly restricted on the intake. cos that makes a huge difference to the noise
Nope, even when I took them out of the case and wernt blowing against anything they where still loud! Weird but anyway, Im not using them for my mod, just a bit of useless info on PSU fans :lol:

Do0b wrote:Watercooling all the way for me. Fans are just Power Suckers
I might go with WC, must just see what my budget is doing at the end of my mod... Im just not keen on drowning my hardware if I screw up the installation :wink:
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Sent my order through to Sybaritic today and it should arrive Wednesday latest along with my mobo. Still waiting on the HDD from the suppliers but I think I can grab the 80GB from my Dads PC until I get mine!
This is what I've ordered:

Nexus NXP-205 Fan Controller - Black

Antec TriCool 120mm Fan - Red
Will be placed on the roof with custom grill

2x Antec TriCool 80mm fan
For the perspex side panel

*EDIT - Still need to get that 114mm hole saw to cut holes in the roof of my chassis as well as the 120mm fan support hole in the front where the HDD sits. Im going to make 2 custom grills for the roof fan and one grill that will have support for the 2 fans on the side panel. The fan near the IO Shield is going to get a bought grill (sticking with the metal theme on that fan!)
Hope to have more updates for you soon!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

silv3rback wrote:Im going to make 2 custom grills for the roof fan
*AHEM*
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.