STEAM ?? !!!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
DEeRaY

Post by DEeRaY »

oooi ... I didnt deserve that....
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

maxxis wrote:Uuuuh. OK.

Now back to my problem, Would XP SP2 have anything to do with it?
Yes... try turning off the firewall when updating or adding steam to its exclusion list - in most cases I find it better to simply turn it off.... try running netstat while steam is up and you'll see why... :)

As a last ditch attempt, try changing the "always keep updated" to "do not auto update", shutdown steam , restart it and switch the demos update back to "always keep updated"..... steam gets a little confused sometimes but this *should* sort out that particular one....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DEeRaY

Post by DEeRaY »

good point...
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Its busy updating the demo now. 13 Hours on a ISDN 256 connection. WOW!!!! :evil:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

maxxis wrote:Its busy updating the demo now. 13 Hours on a ISDN 256 connection. WOW!!!! :evil:
Its not updating the demo..... its downloading from scratch!.....

Welcome to the world of steam....

Try exiting and deleting the clientregistry.blob file, then starting up again... it will refresh the blob file and could maybe fix the prob...

Man, you're getting the full treatment...... :(
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Kinda makes me wonder what the 750mb download from Saix was for?

Steam suck. This is seriously making me decide against buying HL2.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

i cant get over this they made a hl2 demo with steam! what are they doing? do they really want the world to revolt agianst them? AAAGH to hell with HL2 im staying far away from games that do this online junk, unless we get better internet speeds then i will re-consider.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Just deleted the whole Valve/Steam thing and started reinstalling.

I have to agree with who. Who the hell is going to pirate the demo? Thats what demos are there for. Valve / Steam have really got to get their stuff sorted out for markets outside the US.

Let see what happens with this demo.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

let me know when the room starts spinning due to to much steam. :wink:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Yeh. Im busy feeling the heat.
M8trix

Post by M8trix »

Is Valve's idea with their Steam good or bad? This has been bothering me a while now.
The good:
Games are always updated.
You know exactly what is available to you in a clear, easy to use interface.
Games can be downoaded directly after purchase.
The Bad:
This could be a problem if you have a dail-up connection (like me). Sometimes the 'offline mode' is not available, and you must connect to the internet for a hour (sometimes a few hours) for the updates to complete. This sometimes ends in a few days of NOT playing (cannot connect in peak time to net-too expensive)

Another point is, I feel that the 'out-of-box' experiense is totally lost here. The first thing I want to do when I install a game is play it. NOT wait until tonight to conect to the net to activate it, neither wait two hours for the updates to load until I can play it.

Nevertheless, Half Life 2 is a great game and is obviously not desighned with the dail-up users in mind (or am I missing something?).
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

M8trix wrote:Is Valve's idea with their Steam good or bad? This has been bothering me a while now.
The good:
Games are always updated.
You know exactly what is available to you in a clear, easy to use interface.
Games can be downoaded directly after purchase.
The Bad:
This could be a problem if you have a dail-up connection (like me). Sometimes the 'offline mode' is not available, and you must connect to the internet for a hour (sometimes a few hours) for the updates to complete. This sometimes ends in a few days of NOT playing (cannot connect in peak time to net-too expensive)

Another point is, I feel that the 'out-of-box' experiense is totally lost here. The first thing I want to do when I install a game is play it. NOT wait until tonight to conect to the net to activate it, neither wait two hours for the updates to load until I can play it.

Nevertheless, Half Life 2 is a great game and is obviously not desighned with the dail-up users in mind (or am I missing something?).
Howzit M8trix, welcome 2 the forums.

No you aint missing much, STEAM sucks. It's an untested distribution method & no, we SA dial-uppers won't be sadly missed by Valve should we choose not 2 use it. Fact of the matter is they don't care, as they so expressed themselves many times before.

SA's years behind the rest of the world as far as internet goes, so solely putting the blame upon Valve can't really be justified either. None of us would be complaining should we be surfing 2Mb uncapped broadband were paying R300 something odd pm for.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Well. It took 16 hours to activate the demo. But it was worth the wait. I will be buying the game this week.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

maxxis wrote:Well. It took 16 hours to activate the demo. But it was worth the wait. I will be buying the game this week.
Ahhh, eventually, but dude 16hours wtf?????
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

The demo gives you the real feel of what you can expect with the full game. The full version requires numorous updates, that takes long and gives problem when trying to play offline.

HL2 is perhapes worth it but then it must be played at least twice before you remove it. Just remember, once it's updated run the steam backup and write the content to dvd or cds. Your gonna save yourself a lot of head ache if the damn thing screws your system that you need to format (1 day before a clan match? That's bad).

Your first update if you have isdn 64 will take approx 4 hours if you have HL2 and CSS installed.

The big three of 2004 is all worth playing. An experiance of a life time (farcry, doom3, HL2)
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

maxxis wrote:Its busy updating the demo now. 13 Hours on a ISDN 256 connection. WOW!!!! :evil:
Try 56k
simmy

Post by simmy »

Is the Half-Life 2 EULA illegal?

Steam-powered investigation rolls on

By Wil Harris: Sunday 06 February 2005, 11:00

WE REPORTED last week on the problems that many people are having connecting to the Steam servers to play Half-Life 2. We had lots of people emailing the INQ to say that you could always use offline mode to play without a net connection, but these people seem oblivious to reports online that many people are unable to get this mode to function properly.
http://www.theinquirer.net/
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Iceblade wrote:
Try 56k
Yip. Thats the one. I had the same wonderfull experience. I had to update with 56k. Took 15 hours in the end.
kaylz

Post by kaylz »

It irritates me too... you also need a high speed internet connection too play it nicely.....
goku

Post by goku »

Iceblade wrote:
Try 56k
Well Steam can take their HL2 and stuff it where the sun don't shine. :evil:
dammod

Post by dammod »

Steam RULLZ!!!! I have had no problems at all :-) It is so cool that the game updates by itself. From getting HL2 it took me about 30-60 min to play, that includes installing and all!! And I am only on 128k ISDN too!!!

:-)
goku

Post by goku »

Maybe for Dammod but how long do you think it's gonna take me on a GPRS connection ?
dammod

Post by dammod »

LOL!!!!! How many kb/s do u get on GPRS?
goku

Post by goku »

I'm connecting at 115.2 Kbps and download most of the time at +/- 4 to 6 Kbps :cry:

But hey it's free and is my only connection at home :wink:
dammod

Post by dammod »

cool, and have u ever tried playing CS: source on it? LOL!