Pricing and Stuff in the Mag

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Prime

Re: Pricing and Stuff in the Mag

Post by Prime »

Heavysmoker wrote:Hi there Prime,

I posted earlier that the pricing in a PCF mag is way lower than it should be, coz hey say 10% margin on the stuff. Therfore how are we supposed to be cheaper than what is in the mag?? Most of the time it is a cost plus vat. And that gives the general public a cost price, excluding our markup. What this all comes down to, is why are they putting in pricing that is not a real time pricing. Forget that the pricing can change from going to print. However it is still not a valid pricing on the stuff.

Please check it out, and you will understand what i am saying. How can they put in a pricing that is at COST. most of the time. PCF prices are what the Distributor is selling it at to the retailer, then how is the retailer expected to make a profit??? if they sell it at the same price as the distributor, coz if that is the case, then retailers will go out of business, which means that the general public can no longer buy their hardware, coz a distributor may not sell to the public. I understand that everyone is looking for better pricing, but it still does not justify that the pricing advertised is at COST. Then PCF should put in that a RRP is Price to Price depending on store, this is my whole issue on this.

It is a very price sensitive market at the moment due to recession, but still down to the same point, PCF is showing the Distributor Prices and not retail prices.
I guarantee you prices are not listed at cost. last months Asus 4890 was way above the retail price. :wink:
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Prime wrote:last months Asus 4890 was way above the retail price. :wink:
Very true...

And I think the same applies to the Gigabyte GTS 250...
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Ryan_Cooper

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

Prime wrote: I guarantee you prices are not listed at cost. last months Asus 4890 was way above the retail price. :wink:
I will highly agree with Prime on this one, when I was looking for a new graphics card the mag said roughly R4000 for the HD 4890 yet my supplier quoted me R2500 incl. VAT, now that was without markup, with markup of 40% it would be roughly R3500.

so here is the thing, from my experience 40% is generally the market standard for markups I stand corrected. maybe to solve this whole issue PCF should add a disclaimer stating that prices are subject to change or might be more or less then stated in the mag.
THE GAME........YOU Have JUST LOst It !!!!!!!!!!
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Still lurking...not really sure if this one is even worth reacting to. Our loyalty is to the truth first, reader second, company and industry etc thereafter. If we start bowing down to requests like this we wont be worth the paper we are printed on. I am not sure where KB whooped the 10% out of and to be honest it's not really our business what retailers charge unless it's unfairly high to the point of newsworthyness. I say it's not our business because what is important is that we find the closest real world match that you (the reader) would pay for a product and make a judgement call on whether or not it would be worth it. All our value and power lies therein as the trickle down of your buying power is what whips the box movers into shape.. Hope that helps.

TLDR: The pen is mightier than the sword

Edit: w1z4rd911 - your post at the top...thanks man :D
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
w1z4rd911

Post by w1z4rd911 »

Nab,

You Welcome, the truth is out there......(cue X-files theme) :P

BTW where is the Mag, it is almost late and I am having withdraw symptoms :wink: