A guide on which gaming platform to purchase...

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Welcome M3nTaL ! :D

be sure to give us a wave in the >>intro<< thread when you get the chance... :wink:
larch wrote:how much does a PC upgrade rip you these days
depending on the upgrade, 1k-3k
larch wrote:and how long will it last you
+-7years on average... given that the software will continue to run for 15yrs+, as opposed to most console apps, you can only win. most PCs can be recycled or relegated to other tasks, (media centre, file server, firewall), thereby extending their useful lifespan, as opposed to most consoles, which get dropped at the first available oppurtunity... :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

rustypup wrote:
+-7years on average... given that the software will continue to run for 15yrs+, as opposed to most console apps, you can only win. most PCs can be recycled or relegated to other tasks, (media centre, file server, firewall), thereby extending their useful lifespan, as opposed to most consoles, which get dropped at the first available oppurtunity... :wink:
Don't agree with you on the 1 - 3k thing... And even less on the 7 - 15year lifespan
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

psYChowIt wrote:
rustypup wrote:
Don't agree with you on the 1 - 3k thing... And even less on the 7 - 15year lifespan
Depends on what uses you find for your old stuff, I got a couple old p2's still being utilised. What that 10 years+ now since I bought those machines.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

psYChowIt wrote:Don't agree with you on the 1 - 3k thing..
then we disagree on the meaning of the word "upgrade"... "upgrade"!="brand new machine".. upgrade means new g-card, (2k-3k), ram(1k-2k) or HDD, (1k)...
psYChowIt wrote:And even less on the 7 - 15year lifespan
:?: most of my machines run far longer than 7yrs, (with 1 slightly passed the 10yr purchase point). am i to understand that you toss yours out the window after 2?

i'd say most PCs will manage with 15yr old apps with little or no hassle..

other than 'general disagreement' did you have something pertinent to counter with? :)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

rustypup wrote: then we disagree on the meaning of the word "upgrade"... "upgrade"!="brand new machine".. upgrade means new g-card, (2k-3k), ram(1k-2k) or HDD, (1k)...
psYChowIt wrote:And even less on the 7 - 15year lifespan
:?: most of my machines run far longer than 7yrs, (with 1 slightly passed the 10yr purchase point). am i to understand that you toss yours out the window after 2?
1) Point made, but we were comparing a PC to a console, if you had nothing to start with, you can't just simply upgrade. :wink:

2) We're talking about gaming lifespans not just the PC's lifespan.

But whatever I still love PC's anyway:D
capanno

Post by capanno »

Even if you do a 5k upgrade every 2 years you can easily make that up with pc games being so much cheaper.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

rustypup wrote:as opposed to most console apps, you can only win. most PCs can be recycled or relegated to other tasks, (media centre, file server, firewall), thereby extending their useful lifespan, as opposed to most consoles, which get dropped at the first available oppurtunity... :wink:
False, if users were clever then they'd think beyond the windows and see that almost all consoles have a dedicated version of linux to run on them along with drivers for the hardware, so in other words, consoles can become "media centre, file server or firewalls" as well... if given the chance.

I seriously wanna get hold of a PS3, just to put linux on, interesting experiment. 3.2GHz tri-core CPU and one of the better graphics cards on the market
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD