All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Any hardware related topics go here.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Post by Stuart »

Oh

Where's that Smurf when you need him?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Stuart wrote:Edit: I give up. Can't see what I'm doing wrong with the "read more" link.
The apostrophe. Please URL encode it and try again.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ron2K wrote:
Stuart wrote:Edit: I give up. Can't see what I'm doing wrong with the "read more" link.
The apostrophe. Please URL encode it and try again.
Ah, of course. :facepalm: Well spotted.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I wasn't really disappointed when they didn't announce an iPhone 5, because if Siri worked the way they said it would it would be amazing. In combination with that new camera the 4S is big enough of an improvement for me.

iOS does bring out the OCD in me though, and when I see all the borrowed functions from Android in iOS 5 I'm going to be constantly reminded that iOS isn't as good. That's what's putting me off.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Prime

Post by Prime »

So I played with several phones this weekend.

HTC Sensation - This is what my dad settled on for him.
Galaxy s2
Omnia 9(?) with Win Phone 7.

So far, I'm still leaning towards the Sensation as well. I know there's a slightly higher end version coming in the next 2 months, but I'm not sure it will reach our shores...

I don't like the ui on the S2, even if it is a bit faster and has a better screen.

So comments or suggestions? Is it even worth looking at the higher end Win Phone 7 devices?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

You'll actually buy another HTC?

I also don't like Touch Wiz on the Samsungs, so you just flash another ROM with Vanilla Android. GS2 gets my vote, or maybe the Samsung Nexus in a few months.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

LOL, you're talking to a guy who REFUSED to flash his HTC Hero, despite the terrible job HTC was doing with the updates. Flashing a new ROM is out of the question :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Don't think Samsung's is much better. :lol:

The call centre is useless, but when I've been to Leaf and HTC directly -the guys at Lab88, know what they are doing... :P And my hero has been thoroughly abused and is still purring. My E660 Samsung fell apart, My nokia gave me endless *****... My dad's e63 went through 2 screens, a keyboard and cover.

So yes, I'll get another. Given that my dad can work the sensation (it took about an hour) and he normally hates new technology, I'm giving it the thumbs up so far... :lol:

I view unlocking the same as over clocking. I don't have all day to spend fiddling with it. it must work properly from the outset. :wink:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:LOL, you're talking to a guy who REFUSED to flash his HTC Hero, despite the terrible job HTC was doing with the updates. Flashing a new ROM is out of the question :P
Will see once I get my upgrade, what I do with my hero... :)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Oh well, to each their own, but the GS2 is a better phone than the Sensation, although the HTC does it's job well enough so not much in it besides the GS2 being quite a bit faster and having a way better camera, so depends on what you do with your phone.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Also, GS2 battery life is very impressive. My brothers lasts 3 days before he needs a re-charge.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

GW your brother must have the extended battery because mine only lasts 28 hours with average use. My extended battery will only arrive in December... :(

Also ryan the GS2 has more RAM than the Sensation ;).

But yeah each to their own...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

All of these phones are uglier than the iPhone. Just saying

#troll

Seriously though. Glad to see you guys all amped on Android again. The Android activity on this forum died so fast :|
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: DJV to me aesthetics are second to functionality and I am sorry to say iPhone lacks the Android functionality... ;)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56 wrote::lol: DJV to me aesthetics are second to functionality and I am sorry to say iPhone lacks the Android functionality... ;)
+++
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ryanrich wrote:
Anakha56 wrote::lol: DJV to me aesthetics are second to functionality and I am sorry to say iPhone lacks the Android functionality... ;)
+++
:shock: You agree with me?!?! :shock:

/The world really is ending...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:Also, GS2 battery life is very impressive. My brothers lasts 3 days before he needs a re-charge.
:shock:
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:Also, GS2 battery life is very impressive. My brothers lasts 3 days before he needs a re-charge.
:shock:
Pretty much my reaction too. HUGE screen, dual core processor.. 3 FULL DAYS!

And it not like he is shy with the usage.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ryanrich wrote:
+++
Yeah, this is where I differ from you guys. Aesthetics are very important to me. But to be honest, this iPhone does a better job than my Android phone ever did. Sure, I can't customise it the way I could my Android, but it's infinitely more stable than my Android phone ever was. No Force Closes, no lag, no nothing. It might have slightly less functionality (that I never really used anyway), but it does what it can do perfectly.

But this is always going to be a preference thing. I can totally see the appeal in Android, and I'm sure you guys see the appeal in iOS. It's all preference :)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

You had a slow Android phone though dude. I agree the iPhone 4 is way better than the Desire, but the GS2 on the other hand is way quicker than the iPhone and I've never had one force close or anything like that.

Agree about the preference thing yeah, I use both and will probably have an iOS device again in the future, most likely the iPhone 5 next year.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ryanrich wrote:You had a slow Android phone though dude. I agree the iPhone 4 is way better than the Desire, but the GS2 on the other hand is way quicker than the iPhone and I've never had one force close or anything like that.

Agree about the preference thing yeah, I use both and will probably have an iOS device again in the future, most likely the iPhone 5 next year.
I have to agree with ryan on both points. However my first choice is Android with second being Apple :P.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

my brother wrote:day 4 on the S2.....impressive.
Thats right... 4 days!
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:?

/I want a picture of his battery stats...

GW tell him to go "Settings" --> "About Phone" --> "Battery usage" and then to press the power button and home button down at the same time, hold for a second and let go. Should take a screenshot, then email it to you so we can see. Thats damn impressive!
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

He is a member on these forums, have asked him to post the stats himself.
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Awesome cant wait! Would like to ask him how he got that awesome performance.
novio

Post by novio »

hello.

been a while. Soz, forgot my login details.

there are 2 ways in which I save power:

1. Lock the phone within task manager after you clear ram and apps not in use. ( If you go onto home screen to lock, there are a couple of apps that open when you do this....I dont know what, but if you clear yr ram/apps, go to home screen, then go back into task manager and clear ram again, you will notice that it will close some apps.

2. get APN OnOff. Kill yr 3G whenever not needed.

I used the phone for a LOT of calls on friday ( car was giving me hell so i needed to sort it out ). Played a little bit of angry birds, and surfed the web a couple of brief times during the weekend. Battery still had a bit of juice today. I plugged it in about an hour ago ( 12ish pm) but it was not dead. I'm sure it would have lasted the rest of the afternoon.
Space modulatORRRR!!!!