WinXP SP3

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
marduke

Re: Re:

Post by marduke »

Prime wrote:
Rayne wrote:Correction, Microsoft will offer support for XP until 2014. Production of OEM and retail copies however, ends June 30'th 2008.

So best take care of your discs. Or buy now if your planning to, and are lucky enough to find any, that is.
From my exercise, sourcing a new Pc-well the parts anyway, suppliers will cease to sell XP from Jan 2009. This might just be DSP. and what of the EEE PC and those. wasn't vista's life going to be extended because of that? :?
Don't you mean XP's life? Vista's life should be shortened, not extended, they'd be doing the world a HUGE favour :wink:
Prime

Re: WinXP SP3

Post by Prime »

marduke wrote:
Prime wrote:
Rayne wrote:Correction, Microsoft will offer support for XP until 2014. Production of OEM and retail copies however, ends June 30'th 2008.

So best take care of your discs. Or buy now if your planning to, and are lucky enough to find any, that is.
From my exercise, sourcing a new Pc-well the parts anyway, suppliers will cease to sell XP from Jan 2009. This might just be DSP. and what of the EEE PC and those. wasn't vista's life going to be extended because of that? :?
Don't you mean XP's life? Vista's life should be shortened, not extended, they'd be doing the world a HUGE favour :wink:
sorry, meant XP :oops:
Jaywalker86

Post by Jaywalker86 »

I installed SP3 on my friend's laptop today, and now any kind of internet has ceased to work! :|
We have a wireless network and everyone else (that makes 2 other people) can access the internet just fine.
Oh and she can still acces the network, internet just doesn't want to connect.

Have tried Opera, IE7 and latest Firefox. Nothing works. :?
It's an Acer Aspire 3623 series (jip, very crappy. Celeron, ugh...)

Think it's the same problem SykomantiS had way earlier in the year.

Microsoft's web site is useless and offered no help and no-one in the forums there had any answers either.
Any ideas? Anyone? Please, before i throw the damn thing off the roof and burn every microsoft product in sight... :evil:
[ AMD X2 7750+ BE @ 3.1GHz ][ Asus M3A-H/HDMi ]
[ 2x1Gb OCZ Fatality DDR2 1066MHz ][ Gigabyte 470W ]
[ Force3D HD3870 512MB ][ Acer X203H 20" ][ CM 690 ]
[ 250Gb Seagate ][ 500Gb CipherWave external ][ Logitech X530 5.1 ]
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Jaywalker86 wrote:I installed SP3 on my friend's laptop today, and now any kind of internet has ceased to work! :|
We have a wireless network and everyone else (that makes 2 other people) can access the internet just fine.
Oh and she can still acces the network, internet just doesn't want to connect.

Have tried Opera, IE7 and latest Firefox. Nothing works. :?
It's an Acer Aspire 3623 series (jip, very crappy. Celeron, ugh...)

Think it's the same problem SykomantiS had way earlier in the year.

Microsoft's web site is useless and offered no help and no-one in the forums there had any answers either.
Any ideas? Anyone? Please, before i throw the damn thing off the roof and burn every microsoft product in sight... :evil:
Have you checked the default gateway?
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Jaywalker86

Post by Jaywalker86 »

Nope, didn't check it, but all PC's on the network are set to "automatically assign" an IP adress (if that's what your referring to).

Have installed newest drivers from the acer website, but those drivers are from 2004 so im sure it wouldn't have solved any problem anyway :|
The laptop has a Broadcom wireless network adapter and the Broadcom website is probably the most useless thing ever :x Has no drivers for the specific adapter anywhere on the site.

Read somehwere that some people solved the problem by updating the network adapter's firmware, but i can't find anything for the card on the manufacturer's website.

Very frustrated...
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Jaywalker86 wrote:Nope, didn't check it, but all PC's on the network are set to "automatically assign" an IP adress (if that's what your referring to).

Have installed newest drivers from the acer website, but those drivers are from 2004 so im sure it wouldn't have solved any problem anyway :|
The laptop has a Broadcom wireless network adapter and the Broadcom website is probably the most useless thing ever :x Has no drivers for the specific adapter anywhere on the site.

Read somehwere that some people solved the problem by updating the network adapter's firmware, but i can't find anything for the card on the manufacturer's website.

Very frustrated...
All PCs are to automatically assign? So then only this single PC is giving probs?
Vlad

Post by Vlad »

Ya i was wanting to check out blue screen and how to solve them, went to Microsoft site, lol there a guy posted a few months back asking them and no reply, i aid in there
I mean we pay so much for there software, and soon as we have a problem there no one to help, you get two emails to them free then the rest you have to pay for that is absurd.
I am getting really irritated with them, i mean i believe xp and vista still better than mac and linux, but i believe later on linux will start to take over the market
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Vlad wrote:...but i believe later on linux will start to take over the market
No DirectX... :shock:

I've used Linux a few times and have always returned to Windows. Linux is taking over the business and server market though.
Jaywalker86

Post by Jaywalker86 »

Yip, only this one PC (the only one that has SP3 installed) is giving problems. And ther'es NO reason (even if it is a celeron) why it shouldn't work...

Thanks for trying man. Im so gatvol of PC's after this weekend :(
Bladerunner wrote: No DirectX... :shock:
Like Bladerunner said, some bright Russian spark must waste a couple of years of his life and figure out how to make DirectX work in linux, then only will Windows be threatened.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Jaywalker86 wrote:figure out how to make DirectX work in linux
err... no. DX is microsoft proprietary, hence the "doesn't run on linux" given that the philosophy behind linux is OSS...

the hardware manufacturers need to expose their product by scrubbing the interface approach they've allowed themselves to get locked into ala mickeysoft...

by providing a generic interface into the instruction sets, (nvidia looks to be doing just that in its next gen GPUs... ), we will see games running on *nix boxes - and, (given the malloc speed variance between the two platforms), at framerates far outstripping anything windows can currently push...

as to your issue: short and sweet, rollback to SP2... SP3 doesn't offer all that much and is known for scribbling network access...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Jaywalker86 wrote:Yip, only this one PC (the only one that has SP3 installed) is giving problems. And ther'es NO reason (even if it is a celeron) why it shouldn't work...

Thanks for trying man. Im so gatvol of PC's after this weekend :(
Rusty is probably right. Rolling back to SP2 should fix it then.

Sounds to me like you've tried everything else anyway.
Jaywalker86

Post by Jaywalker86 »

Will roll back this coming weekend, don't have time this week.
Thx Rusty and Bladerunner!
RustyPup: err... no. DX is microsoft proprietary, hence the "doesn't run on linux" given that the philosophy behind linux is OSS...
DOH! :oops: Sorry, didn't really think about that one before i wrote my earlier comment. Just read the article in PCFormat on OpenGL and DirectX this afternoon. :) Quite informative...
Im taking it that if games were to run on Linux, they'd use OpenGL, right?
Right! Lesson learned...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Jaywalker86 wrote:they'd use OpenGL, right?
i hope not... IIRC, while the license is GPL, microsoft owns the patent....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Jaywalker86

Post by Jaywalker86 »

:shock: Really!! I missed that bit of info... think i should go read up some more...
Thx Rusty

Looks as if 'all of our base are belong to Microsoft'! :lol:
MS owns too many things...
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

HEY.I have a prob.When i try to install service pack 3 it gives me this error."the core system file(kernel file used to start this computer is not a windows file".Does this have something to do with my dual boot config.My other os is vista.
edit:solved