All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Any hardware related topics go here.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Post by ryanrich »

ADT

Post by ADT »

Prime wrote:
A person wrote:I am in South Africa and theyn say they dont have any dummie models or live ones,They say I have to order one.and were would i find a leaf store.
OMG, a South African on a South African forum?! :shock: And here I was expecting an American. :roll:

I repeat my original question, "where in the country are you?"

Lolz :lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ADT

Post by ADT »

Steve Jobs Claims BlackBerry Bold 9700 Has Antenna Issues Old steve is being a bully again

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2010/07/1 ... na-issues/
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
jasong

Post by jasong »

Steve Jobs is a right old primadonna when it comes to criticism.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

What he fails to mention is that yes every phone has attenuation problems, but on the iPhone you can cause total signal loss with ONE finger along the edge. I can't seem to get my Desire to do that trick... :lol:
jasong

Post by jasong »

Well originally it was due to failed algorithms and any attenuation of call quality was purely imaginary. Now they've peevishly admitted to a design fault, handed out free bumper cases and waived restocking costs while claiming that the media was witch-hunting them and actually the Nokia 5230 was a miniature nuclear reactor and we're lucky to still be alive. I for one feel quite placated :D
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Whilst the official launch has been delayed the Samsung Galaxy S was on display at the Samsung Africa Forum event.

Two of its most striking features are the size of its screen and the weight of the device. For a device with such a large screen (4” AMOLED) it's surprising to find that it weighs less than most smartphones out there.

It sports a S5PC111CPU clocked at 1GHz, similar to the Qualcomm Snapdragons that power the HTC Desire and Google Nexus One but the animations feel much smoother than on the Desire. I could even go so far as to say that transitions between menus and apps feel as slick as on an iPhone.
Source

What you guys with the Desire think? Could Samsung Galaxy S be better?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

The specs are great and the graphics processing power of that CPU is better, but I dunno about Samsung, I really didn't like my last one...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah the Snapdragon's GPU capabilities are really not so great, I remember in another test even the 3GS was way better. Luckily I don't play quake on my phone... :lol:

I must say that Galaxy actually looks really nice...
Prime

Post by Prime »

ryanrich wrote:The specs are great and the graphics processing power of that CPU is better, but I dunno about Samsung, I really didn't like my last one...
Actually, I think I will go back to samsung when my HTC expires or becomes unusable. the X660 was the best phone I ever owned. Hell, I dropped it in the bath and having dried it out, it still worked.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Haha awesome, I had (still have it actually) a D900, keys started packing up, otherwise quite a nice phone in it's day...

I like that Super AMOLED screen, seems to solve some of the sunlight issues. When using the Desire in sunlight you have to sorta guess what you're doing... :lol:
jasong

Post by jasong »

DroidX has a fantastic GPU, seems to get close onto double speed of Snapdragon.

Ye ryanrich the super amoled technology is very promising. I actually prefer IPS to Amoled currently because of the outdoors viewability being very important to me. I haven't played with Galaxy S but the video comparisons look great.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yup yup, I'm gonna stick with my Desire for a while still though, because the release of Gingerbread is going to change things quite drastically and new handsets coming out after its release are sure to be rather powerful...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ryanrich wrote:I like that Super AMOLED screen, seems to solve some of the sunlight issues. When using the Desire in sunlight you have to sorta guess what you're doing... :lol:
Hahahaha! Yeah, unless you're on 100% brightness, the screen almost looks off :P

I couldn't care less, though. MAYBE 2% of the time I use my phone, it's in direct sunlight.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah same here.

If direct sunlight is an issue then you're holding it wrong... :o
jasong

Post by jasong »

I use my phone in direct sunlight quite a bit - I do a lot of e-reading on it - so sunlight legibility is quite important to me.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Jailbreaking iPhone apps is now legal Not that any1 ever really gave a damn about the "Legal" part :P

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/26/technol ... /index.htm
Spoiler (show)
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Samsung has been making waves with its new Galaxy S Android-based smartphone. We recently put its AT&T variant, the Samsung Captivate, through the paces.
Samsung Galaxy S Review
EDIT: This is why i love Samsung phones.
The phone also includes 16GB of internal storage and it can take a MicrSD card of up to 32GB.
Large Memory FTW. :)
HTC officially announced it will be swapping AMOLED with Super LCD (SLCD) displays in several of its phones later this summer, including the Desire and Nexus One.

The reason for the change, according to HTC, is the high level of demand for phones with 3.7-inch displays, on top of the low availability of AMOLED screens.
Source

Better Screens :D go HTC.
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
ADT

Post by ADT »

Spoiler (show)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I really like the DroidX a LOT, but I won't buy a Motorola phone on principle because of their nonsense...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Droid X is amazing. Obviously battery life is a concern though. I'd totally buy one if CDMA was something we could use here.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hot Or Not? - Windows Phone's Soaring Highs and Crushing Lows

Hands-On with Windows Phone 7 Part 3: Near-Final Windows Phone 7 Software

Windows Phone 7 Series Mobile looks to be shaping up nicely, looking forward to trying out one of these devices!
jasong

Post by jasong »

I'm just really really not sold on Windows Mobile 7 yet. But I'm keeping an open mind.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I love the Win Mob 7 interface design.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken