Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by Anakha56 »

Data usage is something I cant comment on :(. At home I use WiFi, at work I use WiFi so my data usage is not a issue. ryan its possible that the data usage is Google Contacts refreshing? No idea. Battery life on the ICS build is astounding :D.

When I was investigating the high AOS bug. 3h 33 minutes without a single drop in %. Very happy :). Also ryan not sure if you used it and if you are aware of the problem but the default Exchange app from Samsung sucks battery life like you would not believe. Changed to Enhanced Email and now battery drain is a thing of the past :).

My thread on DarkyROM as to why AOS bug is not a battery drain issue.

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index ... -bug.7041/
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Oh cool, how is ICS going? Bummed I didn't get to try it before selling mine... :(
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ICS is flying! Definitely a step up from GingerBread in terms of performance and battery life. Initial alpha releases had unstable WiFi but that seems to be sorted in this release. Also a current problem is that a lot of apps still have compatibility issues. One very nice feature is the built in data usage monitor and from there you can control which apps have access to the Webz and which do not.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by Stuart »

You see, I would guess that my issue is that I use the phone stock. I've never jailbroken an Apple device. Haven't rooted my Android device. No custom ROMs anywhere. I just don't have the time for all that fiddling.

My experience, therefore, is limited to out-the-box usage. iOS wins hands down, IMHO. My sole irritation with iOS so far is lack of flash. Irritating when I want to view a video and it doesn't let me. But that happens pretty infrequently.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stu please tell me how iOS wins hands down for you? I am really curious to know how. Also all the things I listed don't require root access, it can all be done with apps from the market and on the plus side you don't need a US account to get to the apps :-P.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Mine is not rooted and I have all that the naughty wolf mentioned. No problems with power now and never had a problem with the KB
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Just want to clarify, I am not bashing iOS (ok I was having a dig re the Market thing) and I respect everyone's opinion I am just genuinely curious as to how iOS is better out the box?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It's just the way the OS works as a whole. Typing is far easier on iOS, and like Ryan I am prone to make far less mistakes on my iPhone. That may be in large measure due to the fact that i have autocorrect enabled on iOS but not on Android, but that's only because it actually works on IOS while Android's attemot is the most godawful thing I have ever seen.

Cross-platform apps (Gmail apps, for example) seem far.more polished in iOS, or at least the ones that I use. The noticeable exception here is Evernote, which is far superior on my Galaxy note than on my iPhone.

The system for switching between apps on iOS is, in my opinion, better on iOS. As is the system whereby you move your cursor through a paragraph of text to a particular word. I even prefer iOS's default calendar.

Now, to be perfectly fair, some of these issues might become non-issues if I just got the right apps (Polaris Office, free with the Note, fails epically for not supporting Dropbox, unless I just haven't looked hard enough). but given that I have already invested money in Apple's App Store I am unlikely to start splashing out in Android's marketplace until I am first convinced that Android is a superior OS. Perhaps ICS will sway me.

Where Android admittedly thumps iOS (and this is no small matter) is with its ability to easily activate and deactivate wireless, bluetooth, etc.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

And please let Chrome on ICS actually be a decent browser!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Oh, and when multiple app updates are foynd, where is the "update all" button? You know, the one that does not require you to go through three or four screens before you find the actual update button?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

The Android has that too - you select which apps can update themselves - and voila - they do!

[OT] What do you have planned for poor Doo in the morning? And 8am too. [/OT]
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

And if you don't want them to just "update themselves" but click an "update all" button when you choose to?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Then you deselect them. Mine update themselves after I click the update all button, but only those I want updated will. Rest are set manual. No point updating hangman
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Tribble wrote:
[OT] What do you have planned for poor Doo in the morning? And 8am too. [/OT]
We're getting him to solve all the problems I am too lazy to do myself.

You have an "update all" button in your app updates? I must have missed it. I shall look again when I have to update, but I had to update apps one at a time last night.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

There is indeed. You select which ones are allowed to update automatically and when you click the button - they do. Nothing updates without permission - even my GO software.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I must say I never once saw this update all button either...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ryanrich wrote:I must say I never once saw this update all button either...
It exists ;). I only have one app to be updated so cant grab a screenshot right now :(.

@Stu Typing has always been a thorn of Googles :(. They bought a company called ClearType some years back and everyone was hoping for a much better k/b come ICS but it is still pretty carp :(. App switching in Android is pretty easy hold down home for a few seconds and voila you have a pop-up of all recent apps, ICS takes this to a whole new level though and makes program switching and killing much, much easier. Funny I really disliked iOS calendar, sure it looked better but for some reason it just did not work the way I wanted it to. Again ICS is a step up from previous builds on that. Never tried hooking Polaris up with dropbox so cant comment on that.

Nice to see where you think Android falls short thanks :). I think ICS will be a nice upgrade for the majority of your issues except the k/b :cry:. BTW on the k/b try this one: https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rial&hl=en It is my default k/b and its what I missed when I went to the iPhone.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I will load a screenshot as soon as it reminds me of the updates again. Dismissed the last one
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Nah it's alright, I believe you. ;)
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

KillerByte wrote:.... with my new Red Bull Mobile contract. 200 minutes, 100 messages and 500megs for R249pm. IMO its worth it ...
How? Where? :?:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

SykomantiS wrote:
KillerByte wrote:.... with my new Red Bull Mobile contract. 200 minutes, 100 messages and 500megs for R249pm. IMO its worth it ...
How? Where? :?:
http://www.redbullmobile.co.za/offer/pa ... contracts/
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Thanks.

How is Cell-C's network coverage, especially regarding data usage/3g?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

:P But my sim expires tomorrow and sadly CellC have the best data prices. So I will be going with them again. Wonder if that means I get a different number or if I can keep the one I have?

Sorry I should qualify the :P - in most of the places I go to - I do not have coverage or it is really bad. Move out of city centres and well you get to play games and not the net. As it is not really used as a phone (it is a phone but I don't use it as such )- and I am on Wifi most of the time - I don't mind.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Weeee... SE Xperia Bootloader has been cracked.... now to load ICS :)
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:Nah it's alright, I believe you. ;)
I'd like to see the screenie. See where I'm being dumb.