Browser Review: IE, FireFox, Chrome or Opera, who's better?

Any software related topics go in here.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

skunkymunky wrote:Have you pledge yet?
No and im not going to coz IMO ff sucks b4llz!!! ;)

I just finished reading that Opera review...doesnt seem to be biased like loads of others iv ended up reading :roll:

Quikcly gonna get 9.5 stable installed :D

EDIT: Im kinda disappointed with the looks of the new Opera :(
They removed some features I REALLY liked!! :?
I liked the new tab button...it was soo much better!!

Now you also cant just move your mouse to the left and click to bring up the panels!!
Also the panels arent spaced out as much as they were before (was soo much better) they're all squished now :(

This is going to irritate me and take me a LONG time to get use to...
Otherwise it seems awsome!! :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
general_koffi

Post by general_koffi »

I installed Opera 9.5, and I must admit that it is pretty sweet...

I immediately went to find Firefox extensions which copy all the cool Opera features like mouse gestures and speed dial... :p

Nah, seriously... I'd use Opera, but there are one or two things I prefer about Firefox... Namely that it can incorporate RSS feeds as simple menus, and that one can middle-click on a bookmark to open it in a new tab. Just minor things that I've gotten used to in FF.

Opera 9.5 is better out of the box, but Firefox has extensions to do anything, and it's hard to top that. Anything that the Opera devs can think of will just be copied a week later in a Firefox addon.
Core 2 Duo E6300 @2.2Ghz
ASUS P5B
Force3D Radeon HD 4870 512MB
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Still using Opera...
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
general_koffi

Post by general_koffi »

Opera does render faster and is lighter...

Does anyone know of a way to get RSS feeds to act like menus like they do in Firefox? The fully-fledged RSS reader is a bit clunky if someone only wants to read the headlines.
Core 2 Duo E6300 @2.2Ghz
ASUS P5B
Force3D Radeon HD 4870 512MB
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer
badguy

Post by badguy »

Firefox here 8)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

PsyCLown wrote:

I just finished reading that Opera review...doesnt seem to be biased like loads of others iv ended up reading :roll:

Now you also cant just move your mouse to the left and click to bring up the panels!!
Also the panels arent spaced out as much as they were before (was soo much better) they're all squished now :(

PsyClown: That stuff is all configurable in Opera. I have not had one installation of Opera where I had everything configured the same. Also I like their new developer tools. It is just awesome. Helps alot if you have to debug your coding.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

How long a browser takes to start up is an important measure of performance. I timed Opera starting up cold—after a reboot, in other words—and warm, after it had already been run once. It did remarkably well, taking an average of only 2.7 seconds cold, handily beating Firefox 3's ponderous 12.6.
PCMAG

So I wasn't dreaming after all...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Yep, FF takes a while to open up on my PC at home too.
Thought I was the only one... even IE opens faster.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
PsyCLown wrote:

PsyClown: That stuff is all configurable in Opera. I have not had one installation of Opera where I had everything configured the same. Also I like their new developer tools. It is just awesome. Helps alot if you have to debug your coding.
There is just one thing left which irritates me with Opera 9.50
They moved the new tab button from the left to the VERY RIGHT at the end of the last tab :thumbsdown: ITS LAME IMO!!!! I dont work much with the last tabs, my main tabs are the first ones where I normally hang out and all the important stuff should be to the left like the panel bar thingy ;) :P :?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

PsyCLown wrote:There is just one thing left which irritates me with Opera 9.50 They moved the new tab button from the left to the VERY RIGHT at the end of the last tab :thumbsdown: ITS LAME IMO!!!! I dont work much with the last tabs, my main tabs are the first ones where I normally hang out and all the important stuff should be to the left like the panel bar thingy ;) :P :?
I agree. I much preferred the new tab button in a fixed position on the left. Now it's like IE7! Image
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Xiphan wrote:
PsyCLown wrote:There is just one thing left which irritates me with Opera 9.50 They moved the new tab button from the left to the VERY RIGHT at the end of the last tab :thumbsdown: ITS LAME IMO!!!! I dont work much with the last tabs, my main tabs are the first ones where I normally hang out and all the important stuff should be to the left like the panel bar thingy ;) :P :?
I agree. I much preferred the new tab button in a fixed position on the left. Now it's like IE7! Image
Yeh, I really hope they do something about that :cry: :cry:

Otherwise its GREAT! :D

Spoiler (show)
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: Browser Review: IE, FireFox and Opera wo's better?

Post by GreyWolf »

so following on from here:
http://forums.pcformat.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33799

I could see things turning (as they usually do on these forums) to a "this is better" fest.

First off, the general opinion among the elite is that Opera is the best browser ever. I have tried it, and must call b******t on that one. A lot of pages do not render correctly and I have found its stability on par with FF. Could one of you please explain to me the exact reasons that you favour Opera over FF?

Furthermore, the best stability I have EVER encountered so far is Chrome. The fact that one tab crashing has absolutely no effect on the rest of the browser is something I have never experienced before and I find it the best improvement since tabbed browsing. I am interested to know what the "experts" on this forum really think of Google Chrome.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Even if one tab crashes on FF - and it closes the whole program, it opens all the tabs exactly as they were before the crash so that you don't lose anything.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

@ GW now I see you linked to the wrong page no problem I follow you.

Nah I was not going to start a browser war was just having some fun with the FF fan boys (and girl). I enjoy Chrome and use it every now and again when I need a change but Opera by far gets my vote. The alpha, version 10, is also really good. Its fast and so far all the pages I visit I have not had a single problem. Oh and Tribz I think all the browsers now do what you have just said :wink:. I think the whole browser war is a tad bit over-rated because at the end of the day as long as you can view your pr0n through it does it really matter? :P :lol:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Tribble wrote:Even if one tab crashes on FF - and it closes the whole program, it opens all the tabs exactly as they were before the crash so that you don't lose anything.
have you tried chrome tribs? I promise you having one tab crash and the browser keep on ticking is almost better than sex ;)

anakha, I know you didn't, but I thought I would head it off at the pass... ;)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

GreyWolf wrote:
Tribble wrote:Even if one tab crashes on FF - and it closes the whole program, it opens all the tabs exactly as they were before the crash so that you don't lose anything.
have you tried chrome tribs? I promise you having one tab crash and the browser keep on ticking is almost better than sex ;)

anakha, I know you didn't, but I thought I would head it off at the pass... ;)
Almost? :shock: You must be doing it wrong! Nothing comes close to being than that! :shock:

I do agree with you though about Chrome only crashing the one tab and not all.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

GreyWolf wrote:First off, the general opinion among the elite is that Opera is the best browser ever. I have tried it, and must call b******t on that one.
+1

While Opera has some advantages in stability and security, they really aren't worth suffering the loss of the awesome features of FF3.

So what if Firefox gets pwned by malware once every billion years and Opera only gets pwned half as much, I'm not going to be alive long enough to witness either get pwned so who cares.

"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everybody drops to zero."

"On a short enough timeline, the stability of all browsers rises to 100%"

:P ;)
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

GreyWolf wrote:I promise you having one tab crash and the browser keep on ticking is almost better than sex ;)
a feature in opera's design since the beginning... :roll:

trust me when i say this.. chrome is designed with two aims in mind.. to punt gears and google's vision with respect to "cloud computing"... pretty much a case of "fine, so you won't build anything on our tech, then we will"... it's a browser...

the features opera includes as standard have to be grabbed as plugins for FF... and plugins, no matter how well designed, make for an unstable browser...

there again, we've been over this many times before...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

GreyWolf wrote: First off, the general opinion among the elite is that Opera is the best browser ever. I have tried it, and must call b******t on that one. A lot of pages do not render correctly and I have found its stability on par with FF. Could one of you please explain to me the exact reasons that you favour Opera over FF?
Downloaded so-called "stable" version.
Crashed on 2 very different hardware setup-ups after clean installs with no plugins.
It starts up very slow initially. Still slower than opera.
Not very stable in general. Thing just feels slow even after a clean install.
Most stuff I want Opera has buildt-in.

Fixed that for you...
GreyWolf wrote: First off, the general opinion among the non-elite is that FireFox is the best browser ever. I have tried it, and must call b******t on that one.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

SoulBlade wrote:First off, the general opinion among the non-elite is that FireFox is the best browser ever. I have tried it, and must call b******t on that one.
LOL! How insecure is that! Some of us decide on which browser to use by seeing which best suits our needs, rather than trying to fit in with the elite (aka, the cool kids. :lol:) :P

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

D3PART3D wrote:
SoulBlade wrote:First off, the general opinion among the non-elite is that FireFox is the best browser ever. I have tried it, and must call b******t on that one.
LOL! How insecure is that! Some of us decide on which browser to use by seeing which best suits our needs, rather than trying to fit in with the elite (aka, the cool kids. :lol:) :P
lol :lol: and thanks for acknowledging it. [Posted with Opera 9.5 :shock: and no crashes involved]

Edit.
Oh, by the way. FF just crashed on me. Again.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

SoulBlade wrote:[Posted with Opera 9.5 :shock: and no crashes involved]
Wish I could say the same, that was so lame it crashed my Firefox. :|

:lol: firefox Flame plugin, TM.

- Elon Musk
Rish_zn

Post by Rish_zn »

I dont know whether i have sleeping all this time or what, but i must say im very impressed with Opera 9.63. This thing flies compared to firefox. :shock:

However i still miss some of my plugins in firefox like foxytunes.
I have noticed since the release of firefox 3 the browser has become painfully slow. ill use opera a bit more and see if i like it, then i will completly chuck firefox away.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

And FYI, no matter which browser you use when the browser crashes and you were working on a post that post will be gone, ****ing gone for good! :evil: All you'll get back when you restart the browser is the following:
No post mode specified.
However you can always use Opera and reduce the amount of times your browser crashes! ;) My favourite feature atm in Opera has gotta be Opera Link. Best thing since sliced cheese. I've also been familiarising myself with mouse gestures and they are another plus for Opera! :D

FF is nice in that it's expandable via plugins, but the only plugin I wish I could get from FF for Opera is Cooliris. Other than that Opera is perfect, I don't even mind that it doesn't have a spellchecker like FF does, but then again a spellchecker is there for people who have a paltry grasp of the English vernacular anyway, so I guess I can understand the people that use FF. :P
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Xiphan wrote:I don't even mind that it doesn't have a spellchecker
opera plugs directly into Aspell, (standard on most linux distros), but requires that you grab it, (1.2MB), for windows and then your desired dictionary, (+-2.5MB)...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel