World of Warcraft Thread!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Sojourn

Re: Wow players on this forum.

Post by Sojourn »

I am unashamed to say that on my 3rd alt warrior I use the pvp gear cheats to get into pugs - otherwise there is just no way pugs will let me raid. In 10 mans it does not work very well tho as you have to actually dps. I also have the "fix" that gives you completed achievements. Got a few nice easy-mode free upgrades in this way.

This is my way to hit back at elitist m.orons expecting every toon to be uber-geared.
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

I'm using some 370 pvp boots which i got from that new boss in VoA, blows my old pve boots out of the water in any case.
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

Depends on what stats you need. I found that PvP items tend to have one less stat and have resilience in it's place. Stamina is also higher, but other stats (Int, Spi and SP) are lower
Since I'm resto druid, the stats that are missing is either haste, crit or spirit.
While your new boots are an upgrade, it's likely because the your old boots item level was a lot lower. If you get some 370 PvE boots, it will beat the PvP boots in stats.
It should be easy to get good gear with Triumph emblems dropping, the random HC's queueing you for dungeons you've already done and being able to buy T9 pieces with just EoT's. Ive managed to get close to a 5k gearscore (stupid addon :evil: ) doing only HC's and in a week.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Well thats the problem. We have people on TH that is so reliant on gearscore that dps and actual raiding skill/common sense is out the window.

eg a 30k hp tank walks into PoS Hc. The first reaction from the group was "your hp is to low". We cleared the rest of it without a wipe while the first tank with 36k couldnt keep aggro and kept dying on us. And after the run the group told the 30k tank he was a noob. Clearly numbers matters more than actual aplication. A sad state indeed.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

I only use gearscore to check out other players of my class that has better gear. Basically to look at what items to aim for. Even then I double-check with wowhead and other sites.
Other than that, I mostly use it for curiosity. I haven't voted to kick somebody solely on gearscore. I'll only have a problem with players with a very low gs (below 3k) trying to the ICC heroics, because those tend to be tough even with good geared players. But if they use the random dungeon finder, that shouldn't happen.

Also, selecting a tank based on his HP is wrong. You have to base your decisions on all of his stats. A 50K tank will drop in seconds if he sits at 400 defense. If he isn't expertise capped, he's going to get dodged and not generate threat. Same with hit.

Always interesting to see a 5.5k GS tank and dps wipe on OK either because they chain pulled groups and got two spell flingers or don't interrupt said spell flinger. A mob that has a spell that does 80% max HP damage in one shot isn't something you ignore or chain pull.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Always interesting to see a 5.5k GS tank and dps wipe on OK either because they chain pulled groups and got two spell flingers or don't interrupt said spell flinger.
Am a lil dumb here... what is "OK" ?
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

ah.. those should not be a wipe, even if you multi-pull 2.
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

Ahn'kahar Spell flinger casting Shadow Blast will do it, especially two casting around the same time at the same target. I've had cases where they target the tank or target the healer.

Once you get past the beginning the rest is easy.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Hehehe lol I chain pull with my pally. Cuz he can handle it. But then again it is not always a good thing. As a tank you should know where you can do it and where you can't.

Sat in a raid a couple of days ago and got bashed for only doing 5k dps in a 25man. But what the ppls didn't realize is that I was trying to keep the healers alive. At one stage I had to kite some of the adds. Now kiting as a mage is very possible especially when you are into arcane. But every time you need to throw something off to retain the aggro on the mob you have to stand still for at least a 1.5-1.7sec cast. Well this all while the melee dudes were focusing on just thumping the boss down to 0 hp. Unfair to judge by means of pure dps in a raid? I leave it for you to judge..... But ye it is the same thing for a raid. One of the best geared tanks in our guild can't tank to save his own life. he has 38% dodge but what does that help him if he can't keep the aggro. Or that he is always late on picking up the adds when the boss is going into another phase where you can't get to him in any case.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

The key word is sustained dps. You can have high burst damage which makes you ideal for some mobs eg the constructs in ulduar at ignis. Generally if the boss dies then everyone is there how should be there. The problem is when you look at dps meters and see that their is a 1k gap in dps. How do you judge that? Well as a rule depending on your gear I would say expecting 226+ players should do a 3k dps minimum, 251 a 4k minimum ect. But I do alot of moving in some fights so my dmg bonuses doesnt always stack properly and having to switch also affects it.

Judge at your own discression.
My Steam Screenshots

Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Just finished installing the patch and ...

The file "C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Data\enGB\backup-enGB.MPQ.temp" could not be created. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (InstallerFile::Create)
hmmm :(
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
DEeRaY

Post by DEeRaY »

endev8003 wrote: Also, selecting a tank based on his HP is wrong. You have to base your decisions on all of his stats. A 50K tank will drop in seconds if he sits at 400 defense. If he isn't expertise capped, he's going to get dodged and not generate threat. Same with hit.
I can garuntee if you see a tank with 50k hp, hes defence capped! You cant get that kinda health pool with out some high end gear. Nevermind you need to be pretty buffed to get to that too.ToGC Geared tanks on my server sit at around 46k hp ub

Ive just started tanking on my warrior for my guild in ICC, hes sitting on around 44k hp 560ish defence(not rating). My poor hunter is retired now. Ill miss him alot, but hey anything to help the guild out. Tanking on warrior is good fun though

That said, ICC is great fun. Its a really good challenge. Weve cleared upto Blood Queen on 10 man and Downed Rotface and Festergut on 25, havent had any shots on PP yet. Bloody lag poons our South African raiding guild :p

oh and GearScore is the devil!!!!! dont use that rubbish. Install addonspamfu and notice how it spams everyone in your guild and people in your group. I hate this addon to death, so bad that ive requested people to stop using it in our guild or I need to ignore them during raids
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

My Steam Screenshots

Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Know Your World of Warcraft Player

The New Guy
Begins most sentences with, “That’s not how we did it in my old guild on Korgath.” Likely to remain guilded for approximately one week. You wonder if he’ll be telling his next guild, “In my old guild, we ran TOWARDS the volcanoes.”

Pointdexter
He has the game down to a science. He may be a 40-year-old accountant with the free time of a 15-year-old student, or a 15-year-old student with the focus of a 40-year-old accountant. Drools over spreadsheets, calculates the group’s overall DPS and efficiency and how it can be improved down to the smallest stat bonus. Spends his days on World of Raids and the Elitist Jerks forums looking at all the number crunching and posts everything on your own guild forums. Certainly an asset to the raid, but damn he needs a hobby.

The Lucky *******
This is the guy who managed to be the only representative of his class that night for whatever reason and THAT'S the night every boss drops his classes loot. Usually followed by a marked drop off in raid attendance afterwards.

Mr.(s). Worthless
The one or two people you have to take sometimes because you’re short on people. They are as geared and talent-specced like others in the raid, yet their numbers don’t come close to others. Most of these are hunters or rogues, although that shadow priest or warlock fits that bill. They leave you scratching your heads on how the **** their numbers are so bad, vowing not to take them again until they improve…until next week you need them again.

Damage Meter Maid
Raiding is all about the damage meters for him. He keeps track of them almost obsessively. After a fight is over, he asks for someone to post the meters in raid chat in order to make sure that everyone else saw that he was on top.

The Buff-less Wonder
Plays a class with group buffs, but “forgets” to bring the necessary reagents. Highly skilled at turning a deaf ear and blind eye to buff assignments. If reminded, will proceed to slowly buff people one by one until someone else is overwhelmed by frustration and does it for them.

The Dumbest Person On The Planet
No one’s quite sure exactly what’s wrong with this guy, perhaps human evolution really has come to a standstill. Will be the cause of 60% of your wipes until he gets a /gkick. Tell him to spread out and he’ll glue himself to a squishy healer. Tell him to avoid something and he’ll stand in it till dead, then complain that he didn’t get any heals. Ask him to CC the yellow star and he’ll pick the orange circle then claim bleeding wounds debuff on his target.

The Backbone
Plays a tank. Doesn't have much to say. Made an error once in SSC, or so you heard. Will disconnect when Gorefiend is at 30% and keep aggro while offline for the rest of the fight. Has never said anything negative to the healers. Ever. GL with your progression without one of these.

The lonely chick
This chick is young, single, and has no social life outside of the game. She hits on every male member of the guild based solely on the sound of their voice. Everyone insists they've had "private chats" with her but you don't believe any of them.

Mr./Mrs. Opportunity
As soon as a run back from a wipe is called, this person has something come up. Important phonecall, someone at the door, water's boiling... etc. etc. But strangely, they're always back right at the moment to accept their rez.

The Preparation Police
Before the raid starts or even during the raid itself--he's the one making sure everybody has their consumables, everybody is repaired, everybody is ready to go. Usually NOT an officer. This is the guy, back in BWL, who inspected everybody individually before Nefarian to make sure they were wearing their Onyxia Scale Cloaks.

The Slow Puller
Doesn't matter if it's a single non-elite.... it has to be given a raid target icon, a ready check, and a "Pulling" announcement. Any interruption at all entails a full stop and re-marking/ready checking/ announcement sequence.

The Zerg Puller
Runs through trash like police are at the door and he has to hide the miniature horse dressed in studded black leather in the back bedroom. No icons, no warning, and often with himself at 30% and healers out of mana and he's pulling the next 3 trash mob packs. Only time a break happens is when he goes afk for more booze or passes out during a Single Mom story.

The Hypochondriac
Unable to attack even squirrels without being swathed in every buff possible. Will whine in raid chat every three seconds just in case you missed their first message. Wants "Unending Breath", just in case.

The Loot Linker
Every time a boss is downed, no matter how many times the boss has been downed, this guy will litter /gchat, /2trade with what dropped. No matter how far you run away you wont get away. He doesn’t even have to be in the raid to know what dropped to do this.

The No-Vent Vent guy
This is the guy/gal who no matter how long the lull was before they decided to press the button to speak someone else will "button up" and speak at precisely the same time.

The Wonder Twins
Usually male/female duo, may or may not know each other IRL, have been playing together a long time and as such generally play as synergistic classes (shadow priest + warlock, feral druid +enhancement shaman, etc..) ALWAYS log on at the same time, almost always log off at the same time, inseparable, usually pretty awesome players for some reason. Tend to disappear suddenly to reroll new classes.

The Fair-Weather PvPer
This guy sucks at PVP. If someone on the opposite faction kills him, expect a tirade. According to him, he didn't lose because he's bad, but because the circumstances were unfair: He was oom. He was at 1/2 health. He was on his alt. He was taking on 20 mobs at once. He'll find any excuse to prove that he was cheated out of winning. At the same time, he won't hesitate to let you know when his 1,300 Arena team ABSOLUTELY OWNED another 1,300 Arena team. Because he is THAT good. Don't bother dueling him. When you beat him, he'll curse his latency and take an afk while he gets Telkom on the phone.

The Guy That Yells Too Damn Loud
Can't ever control his volume in Vent. Good, Bad, whatever the situation is he's probably screaming loudly about it. If he fiddles with his outbound, either you won't hear him at all or your speakers/headphones will !&$%ing explode.

The Attention Span Deprived
When you explain a boss fight in every single painstaking detail over vent, these are the ones that go "So what do I do?" as you're pulling the boss.

The Vanisher
The guy that constantly DC's due to poor ISP, thunderstorms, roommate screwing with the port, cat chewing through the wires, you name it. Often disappears, ten seconds after the leader says "okay, pulling..."

The Lolbot (for PuGs)
No matter what this guy does wrong will just respond with "LOL" Followed by some almost unreadable sentence saying how it was you fault and you need to learn your class better. E.G "l2ply nub, if u wer a gud tnk u wuldn't luse agro" or "LoL nub u shuld l2ply rougs do dps lots, uz moar taunts". Plays a rouge or hunter.

Cubed
Why isn't that mage doing any DPS? Oh right, ice blocked again.

The logger
This guy is ALWAYS online but each time you ask him to go to raid, he need to log.

The Ready-Check Masher
Usually an officer or a leader of some sort. Usually made a raid assist (rarely a raid leader). He needs to know if you're ready. All the time. "Is everyone buffed?" Ready Check. "Does everyone know the fight?" Ready check. "Do we have a soulstone up?" Ready check. "Are you all SURE you know the fight?" Ready check. "Are we ready to engage?" Ready check. "Do the Tanks have their marks?" Ready check. "You all sure you know your positions, right?" Ready check.
Ready check. "Sorry about that, hit it by mistake. But is everyone ready?"
Often the first to die or call a wipe after someone bites it.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
ADT

Post by ADT »

I sense a Fail all around me :shock:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

According to that list I'm the no-vent vent guy. I always have the bad luck of someone else speaking at the same time as me :( It's a conspicary, I tell you :evil: .
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

My main is a hunter, and I usually resent the bad press, but yah, there are a LOT of huntards around.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

GreyWolf wrote:My main is a hunter, and I usually resent the bad press, but yah, there are a LOT of huntards around.
I haven't met a lot of bad hunters. I even had an interesting boss fight in a random recently where the tank lagged as soon as the fight started and the hunter and me (moonkin) played tennis with the boss aggro. Nobody died during that battle, so it was all good.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

endev8003 wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:My main is a hunter, and I usually resent the bad press, but yah, there are a LOT of huntards around.
I haven't met a lot of bad hunters. I even had an interesting boss fight in a random recently where the tank lagged as soon as the fight started and the hunter and me (moonkin) played tennis with the boss aggro. Nobody died during that battle, so it was all good.
Look there are good ones, but when they are bad, they are really bad. 2 nights ago went into Scarlet monastery with my 32 druid... and no matter how careful I was we seemed to be agroing everything in a room. The healer starts bitching at me for not managing agro properly, and I was like... wtf? It was about this time that I noticed that the hunter couldn't control his pet AND he himself was not aiming properly and firing pop-shots off at random distant ads...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

most fun I've had was with my enhance shammy in Old Kingdom.

3 shadow priests
pala tank
enhance shamn

no healers - healing only from my totem, paladin seal and shadow priests debuffs.
When needed I would save my wolves and summon them when I needed to offtank.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

LOL
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Yup. 20 Euros. I got mine and this morning (late morning 9am+ and not 12am to 4am). But this is classic.

My Steam Screenshots

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932