Gran Turismo 4

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

I am not looking forward to playing the licences now....

I am nearly finished with the International B licence,and I am already having trouble, how would I do in special then 8O

Better start praying now....
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

You'll make it through, you just need to be persistant. Also the demo option is quite useful if you're battling with what lines to take.

I worked out a way to make quite a bit of money just now.
Choose Beginner Races and do the MR race, get a good MR car like a lotus elise or something similar and win all 5 races.
The car you win after completing all 5 is a Cadillac CIEN - it is a monster, 790bhp.
Using the CIEN go to the rallies (not snow and dirt the other one - forgotten what its called now)
Choose the second rally in the list - its all tar and its easy, loads of 1st gear hairpins.
The CIEN will eat up your opponent in both races (you have to do it normal and reverse)
Completing both gives you a Toyota Rally Raid car which is worth about 265 000 cr :) :)
So if you need money just redo that rally a few times and sell all the Toyotas as you go.
Easy money :)

Keep one of the Toyotas tho, cos they're excellant on other tar tracks, although in the dirt i really battle with it, so much horsepower.

I've just snicked over onto 10% complete.
All beginner races done and two from Pro league, starting to get serious fast opponents now.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

8O You are fast!!

I am still lagging behind, been playing around... just doing whatever earns me cash...

I won the Nike 2020 car, is fun, got eight gears too....

Thanks for the headsup on the money, dying for cash so far... need a nice upgrade for now....

After tomorrow I am gonna be dedicating my gaming time to GT4, one day of school left yay!
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

This might have mentioned in the 8 pages or so already but I'm not going though all the pages to find out so if it has then say :

"Been there, got the T-shirt"

Anyway, has anybody seen the Gran Turismo 4 racing competition advert on Go (the dstv channel)? What's it all about? For those with ps2's and with 1337 track times, should maybe give it a bash.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

@Neon what do you mean?

Yeah I did see the go advert, Wonder if I can win, just sabotage the other players stuff :twisted:
Daz

Post by Daz »

I finaly bought myself a Ps2 and got GT3 with it and I gotta say I am loving it. GT 1 and 2 are great games aside from their graphics so playing GT 3 is very satisfying. The only problem with Ps2 games is they are a little costly. Next one I`m going to get is GT 4 and I hope its worth the R 500.00 you have to pay for it.
style121

Post by style121 »

Daz, I think GT$ is amazing, but I never got a chance to really play GT3 so to me its not really "same ole same ole". I would've rather suggested just getting number 4 because of the sheer amount of content its got, and the graphics aren't that much better than 3.

Screeper, I also managed to find that out about the Cien in the special conditions races. Its awsome having cash now for the rest of the game. For someone like me who doesn't have a lot of time to play, its great earning the money to buy what you want early. And that car is FAST!!!!! Took mine to 940kw with a top speed of 375. Awesome!
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

@ Screeper, I did your method but when I finished the MR challenges, got all gold I got a Lotus Espirit... wtf?

Using a Toyota MR2 GT-S

Is it coz I used a different car?
rand0mh3ro

Post by rand0mh3ro »

someidiotsa wrote:@ Screeper, I did your method but when I finished the MR challenges, got all gold I got a Lotus Espirit... wtf?

Using a Toyota MR2 GT-S

Is it coz I used a different car?

I also used a MR2 and also won the lotus. I still managed to get the Cadillac Cien but had to win the first rally event to get it.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

hmm i must have messed up :/ sorry someidiotsa

rand0mh3ro is right the race you need to do is the 1st race in Special Conditions. Thats where you win the CIEN. Then once you got it do the next race in that list Rally d' Capri. Victory is assured :)

I just crossed the 25% mark yesterday. That opened up the Enduro races. So i did the first one in the list, the 60 lap one. Had square eyes when i finished it. Won 400 000 tho :)
Looking at the other enduro races, there's 24hour race of the nurburgring !!

I finally got enough money to buy a good car to use in the Gran Turismo World Championship (last one in pro league). I bought the Audi R8 Le Mans car for a cool 4,500,000 cr.
THe championship is tricky. Tyres and setup and practise required. Only done the first race in Tokyo, it was damn hard.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Just done the 3rd race in the GT World Campionship and man its hard :(
There's a Toyota Minotla car that just disappears into the distant.
My only guess is that its on medium or soft racing tyres instead of hard or super hard that i use.
But the AI really really disappointed me.

It was a 18 lap race and i was in 3rd, straining my pants to just stay close to 2nd place. The minolta was already 13sec up after 7 laps :(
Minolta pits on lap 8, and me and the 2nd place car pit on lap 11. Minolta then pits again on lap13 and is now behind us by a few seconds.
I overtake into the hairpin and now am 1st :) (/me shows his muscles) then the Minolta car takes second with 4 laps to go and is catching me about 1.5 sec a lap !!
Anyway despite me trying all the dirtiness in the book it gets past me with a lap and half to go. I try my best to hang on but he just disappears. Then he pits again !!!
With just over a lap to go !!
Thats pathetic. He was pulling away from me and yet he pitted.
So i cruise to victory but i was bitterly disappointed with the idiot Minolta. Who pits a lap from the end ??
style121

Post by style121 »

Yeh but imagine having to restart an 18 lap race again. I would be bitter as heck!!!!

Think I might try doing the longer ones with the B-Spec mode and just leave it running while I work. At least when I get home its done and I've got some extra cash and a new car waiting. Now all I need to do is get to 25%. Man it seems like its taking forever
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

yes the B-spec mode works pretty well. But only if your driver has experience.
I re-did the 60 lap enduro using b-spec. I gave him a sorted car (prob had 300bhp more than the other constestants)
He couldn't win by his lonesome :( at the pit stops i had to step in and get a big lead so that at the next stop i could hand back over to the b-spec driver and he'd slowly lose time (about .5sec a lap) but he's be far enough in the lead that the 2nd place guy couldn't catch him.

I also found he was really really chicken when it came to over-taking, even if he was lapping someone he'd take at least 3/4 of a lap to get past even tho his car was so much. I constantly had to change from no.3 setting (medium pace) to push harder setting no.4 for him to get by.

THe best bit was the time mulitplier. At x3 it is much faster than sitting and doing the whole thing yoursefl. But you gotta watch the fool otherwise he's likley to lose you the race for being so timid.
style121

Post by style121 »

so you can change mid stream and drive for sections of the race yourself too? I take it the more you race B-spec the more experienced your driver will get? Just seems like a really strange feature they decided to include in this game. I hope it doesn't account for a huge percentage to cpmplete the game
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

yes you can change over from a-spec to b-spec during a pit stop, very handy since my driver is a twerp atm and seems only capable of holding station rather than actually winning a race.

they added b-spec, i believe, so that people could finish the enduros. Some of them are just to long to do on your own, unless you leave it on pause overnight.
However there is nothing stopping you from doing every race a-spec. You can achieve 100% without ever using b-spec.

And yes the more u use b-spec the more you're driver gains experience. In your stats page you can see how many b-spec points your driver has.
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

Yeah. GT4 rules...
Okay. Just wanted to know. Is there really a 24hr race??? People have told me that when you get to endurance races (I've only got 21...% cause of university) there are two 24hr endurance races!!!

Oh, and my first car was a Mitsubishi Lance Pro Evolution II at a bargain for 9000cr. It had 240hp.
Yeah... well, GT4 has amazing Graphics and great sense of speed, etc. But the music is kinda crappy.
Oh, and photo mode is so cool. I reckon we can take pics of people's favorite cars and sell it for... hmmm, 5Rands. Ooooh
*Starts scheming how to rip people off with pictures*

Edit: Oh, and Style121, I'm more scared that the manufacture races are going to make up most of the percentage. It did in GT2, which is whyI only have 60% complete in GT2. Imean, buying a car for about 30000cr just so you can race in a cheap 1500cr race and then never use it again is crap. But B-Spec... hmmm, haven't yet tried it.
sun_walka
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC-Mate
Graphics card: VisionTek Radeon R9 290
Memory: Crucial Balistix Sport 32GB DDR3

Post by sun_walka »

I'll start playing GT the day they port it to PC.
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

ie. Never :-)
sun_walka

Post by sun_walka »

Zell_D wrote:ie. Never :-)
Yep! :lol:

Okay, look, I'm not saying it's a bad game, and I do play it, in fact, I play it quite frequently coz it happens to be at almost all my friends' cribs when I go visiting them and we engage in a game of Tekken or DOA or whatever....what I meant is; I'll only start playing the game seriously when they port the game to PC, and seeing as Polyphony Digital are never going to touch the PC with that title, unless ofcourse an angel comes down and touches the game devs, I'll probably never get to play it properly anyway.But it is a great game, I tried to follow it from GT1 onwards, but when they started putting it on the PS2, I couldn't exactly play it decently coz, as you well know, emmulators for PS2 are still rather dodgy and are not goign to get any better since there's too much programming to be done for it to be done and released as freeware....the writers will want something in return. And with the prices of PC peripherals the way they are now, there aren't too many kind people about anymore, so donations wouldn't suffice.

Sad, but true.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

@Zell_D - yup there are two 24hr races. The only way i can see them being done is if you're willing to pause your ps2 overnight and then continue the following day. That way you could do it in about 3 days i guess (8 hours a day).
However putting it on B-spec will allow you to do it 3x faster - so in other words 8 hours.
But and this is the big BUT, i just used b-spec to do the 4hour enduro and my driver is slowly getting better. He'll pit on his own etc.. but everytime he comes out the pits the time resets to real time and so you have to put it back to x3 again. Thats really annoying if you ask me but i guess just leaving him to drive around at normal speed is ok, it'll just take him a true 24hrs to complete the race. As long as you set his car up well and he's experienced enough he'll win.
Or if you're worried just give him an insanely unfair advantage like a le mans car when all the other cars are sedans or something :)
WoolyBadBaba

Post by WoolyBadBaba »

Hey did anyone go to the Durban Motor Show and try the GT4 driving simulator? Man that thing is wicked! PCF reviewed a wheel like that for the PC a while back. The physics in GT4 are the best and most accurate i've seen so far. If you don't get that racing line into the turns...

So it won't come out on PC then? :cry: :cry: :cry:

C2D E4300 | ASUS P5B-MX WiFi | 1GB Kingston DDR2-667 | XFX GeForce 7600 GS

"Most people end up going to bed when
they're not sleepy and waking up when they are."
sun_walka

Post by sun_walka »

Yep. Never did, never will.

I did my mourning long ago, but I'd be happy to give you a shoulder, should you require one. :)
dammod

Post by dammod »

Cant u just get a Emulator to play the game on PC?
someidiotsa

Post by someidiotsa »

Aren't Emulators illegal? Coz it seems like piracy....

The games is still fantastic on ps2 though, Now I am just saving up for a good wheel..... :twisted: Then we will see how good I am at driving :roll:
sun_walka

Post by sun_walka »

Yes you could, but if you read my other post, you'll see why you won't. ;)

And no, emmulators are not illegal.....as long as you have the console as well and not just the BIOS file, they're leagal as hell! :)

Course, if you're caught waltzing around the hood with a copy of SCPH2001 and you don't happen to have a PS, there's little the government around here can do except gawk at you coz this is Africa, and they most certainly won't be scanning your optical media with their eyes to try and see what evil you've got on them....mostly it's the people that try and shift their stuff by the tonne that get caught....and they're not going to come knocking down your door to search your rig and your room either.

But that doesn't mean you should own an emmulator and not a PS/SNES/PS2/SEGA/etc. :P

As for things like the SNES, SEGA, Commodore64, etc, I think most of the ROMs are classified as abandonware and can pass for you not having the console. Also for the fact that those consoles are pretty hard to come by nowadays.