Anything & everything regarding Doom 3 and Half-Life 2

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

:oops: what is vsync?
I am the Hitokiri that makes it rain blood.....
- Himura Battousai.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Has anyone fiddled around with the Doom 3 level editor yet? You have to start up Doom 3, and then type "editor" in the console. It looks very similar to GTKRadiant, but different enough to cause some frustration :(

I haven't had much time to play around with it yet. Will see what I can figure out this weekend.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

Doom 3 was excellent, but in my opinion I think that HL2 will be a lot better, although also a very different experiance. Last time I heard it was in the Beta stages of testing... whats happened since then??? I hope it comes soon... okes with nVidia cards are gonna experience the true feeling of K@King when they play that game... I sure hope Valve optimise the game for ATI cards so that it runs like a tired dog on nVidia cards to get vengence for what nVidia did with Doom 3!!!

Long live ATI! and HL2!!!
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

ditto 1GOR!!!
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

What are you talking about? ATI shot themselves in the foot when they leaked the Doom 3 alpha, besides it runs well enough on both Nvidia and Ati cards. Valve would be committing suicide if HL2 runs poorly on Nvidia cards that's probably half the gaming community.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

do you have a ati or nvidia only1?
I am the Hitokiri that makes it rain blood.....
- Himura Battousai.
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

i was under the impression that ati lost the HL2 alpha :tellme:
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

kailinin wrote:do you have a ati or nvidia only1?
Nvidia, the GeForce is strong with me.
Kher-za wrote:i was under the impression that ati lost the HL2 alpha
Maybe that too, but they definately were responsible for the Doom 3 alpha leak.

Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

what does ATI stand for anyway? :oops:

what graphic cards do they use in a galaxy far far away? i'm surprised nvidia has reached so far.
Moses

Post by Moses »

What are you talking about? ATI shot themselves in the foot when they leaked the Doom 3 alpha, besides it runs well enough on both Nvidia and Ati cards. Valve would be committing suicide if HL2 runs poorly on Nvidia cards that's probably half the gaming community.
It may run well enough on both systems, but I suppose it also runs well enough on a Geforce 3, if you want to look at it that way.

Carmack specifically optimized Doom for nvidia cards only, which I feel was unjust (obviously a lot of cash exchanged hands between Id and nvidia).

How else can you explain the Humus tweak ? - a simple tweak made by an amateur which greatly boosts the game's performance on Ati cards. I don't believe for a second that Carmack wasn't aware of this and couldn't implement it in 30 seconds.

Doom 3 also uses PS 3.0, nvidia's new technology, yet Ati's 3Dc was totally ignored in the game engine.

I hope Half-life 2 runs like a dog on nvidia cards and no community enthuasist releases any tweak for it.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Hope all you want, it's not going to happen. It will run well enough for everyone, and someone will release patches for those who are not satisfied with the performance out the box. Carmack's preference for OpenGL has been known for a long time, Nvidia cards happen to handle OpenGL better than ATI. Also, there are many games which are "optimised" for Nvidia - just look at any game that opens with the Nvidia logo - yet they run just as well, and sometimes better on Ati cards...
Last edited by OnlyOneKenobi on 20 Aug 2004, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Well, I have a GeForce FX5200 128MB, and Doom III runs well, but at everything low quality, 600X800! Anyway, impressive that it can do this. That's some serious coding.
garp

Post by garp »

Nvidia cards happen to handle OpenGL better than Nvidia
if you say so :P :wink:

I'v just got one Q and that is: Is there a demo for doom 3. I'm tempted to get it but how good is it realy.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Alien_Hitter

Post by Alien_Hitter »

you dont need a demo.

if we SAY its good, believe us IT IS, F^<{!ng AWESOME
AMD 2400+,512 kingmax DDR400, FX 5600xt
Alien_Hitter

Post by Alien_Hitter »

optimising a game for one stables cards only is VERY BAD business
optimise it for all brands and you'll have a much greater target
market, but thats how it goes, everyones after the easy money
pay me and we'll make it run better on our cards -money now-

Its a shame these developers are such short-sighted ppl when it
comes to stuff like this :evil:
Alien_Hitter

Post by Alien_Hitter »

:stern: MOSES
just for that bit of ill wishing I Hope theres a bug in the 3d engine that
melts that ATI chip to hell, why in the name of all that is sacred do
we users also have to fight like ** ** ** on the corner
for a bone that is big enough to share comfortably!

STOP IT, Let the manufacturers scratch each others eyes out, keep it off
the streets and out the homes PLEASE
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

Hmm three posts in a row, nice going Alien... :wink:

I seriously think that fighting over two manufacturers (that frankly dont give a rats a$$ about you as long a they make money) is a tad retarded. So NVIDIA will be ahead one quater, and ATI the next. Who cares!? If you have your own preference then stick with it and shut the f*ck up to put it bluntly... :roll:
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238
Alien_Hitter

Post by Alien_Hitter »

to answer some questions goto
http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom3/
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

With Doom3 out and halflife2 just around the corner what is next on the list..How about the long awaited new Duke Nukem..?? :lol:
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Moses

Post by Moses »

Brothers In Arms!
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

garp wrote:
Nvidia cards happen to handle OpenGL better than Nvidia
if you say so :P :wink:

I'v just got one Q and that is: Is there a demo for doom 3. I'm tempted to get it but how good is it realy.
lol I meant Nvidia cards handle OpenGL better than ATI

OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Some tips for using the Doom 3 editor, I got them from here
1) Doom3 needs to be in windowed mode to run the editor. Open the game, hit alt-enter to go to windowed mode. Bring down the console with CTR-ALT-TILDE and type in EDITOR. At that point I have a shortcut "doom3.exe +editor" that I use

2) Real time rendering in the camera window is the sexiest thing EVER. Dropping in a light, moving it around and watching the shadows move never gets old. F3 is render mode + F4 is realtime and lighting. F7 updates the camera window as well. F6 enables real time animations of shaders, particles, etc. The last one puts my CPU at 100% so I don't leave it on.

3) The light menu is your friend. Drop in a light, selct it and hit the "J" key. Choose a color, and light type. If you choose Projection light, you can manually move the shape of the light in the 2D grid. This can be finicky however, you have to select, unselect, and reselect the light to get the shape to move sometimes. With the real time camera, messing with the lighting has never been easier, more fun, and educating. Sometimes the center of the light gets disconnect from the light itself. Delete the light, reload the map (save first!)

4) The console, textures, all game media, and entity props are all tabbed in the same window for ease of use. In the media window, double clicking a texture set loads them all in the Textures window.

5) If you imprort a model and it just shows as a square, save the map and re-open it. In fact if anything doesn't work the way it's supposed to save the map and re open it, or restart the editor itself.

6) Doors. I managed to make a door using the doors from SP. Create a brush, make it a func_door. In the func_door proerties hit the MODEL button. Browse to the model you want. Set angle and everything else like Quake3. Oh yeah, browse to a sound shader for your sounds. Sounds can be rendered in camera window as well!

Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

Do you guys think my computer will be able to play Sims 2? I heard that game has a really cutting edge graphics engine!!!

OnlyOne, I agree with what you said bout the whole nVidia/ATI thing. However, if you compare the Doom 3 benchmarks of the 6800Ultra and the X800XT you will see that although the ATI card beats the nVidia in all other tests such as Farcry, 3D Mark, Aquamark... etc, et cetera... the nVidia card beats the ATI only in Doom 3, and by quite a bit may I add. This is just too obvious, and just plain rude.
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

If you can play Doom 3, I really wouldn't worry about being able to play the Sims 2. Doom 3's requirements surely surpass the req's for Sims by far.

Algernon

Post by Algernon »

This one goes to Cameron or Tasmini :D I see there's a lot of tutorials to be downloaded on how to create maps in doom 3. But some only show how to create a room, other's how to create doors ect. I can't manage to find all the tutorials I need to create a complete map. :evil:

How about adding a doom3 map tutorial folder with all required tutorials on the cover disk of a future pc format issue:?:
Yay to SaybAGreY for avvie and sig

* Thou shall not call me a weasel again!!! *