November 2006 PCF - The Tales of Agony

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Ike

Post by Ike »

Okay, I wanted to reply here, but my old pcformats are gone :? I guess the maid took em' (I hope she dies)

So, I'll just make it up as I go :lol:

Yesterday I got my Pc format in the mail:

The DVD-

The DVD is a 2 sided disk, It must be a heck of a job to make it and have all the software etc. Put on it...

But, I remember in 1999 the "year 2000 edition" the Cd came with tons of programs and detailed articles(which I will handle a bit later).

Now we have a DVD, 9.4GB of data, that can store pretty much anything on the net. Which is cool, But the Disk sometimes is wortless to me:

I need drivers
Overclocking apps
screensavers
performance progs

The disk in it's current form usually doesn't include drivers, DX , Ati tool etc, Instead it has some nifty, but essentially useless programs.

The Mag-

This one is biting me hard, I read the whole magazine in less than 20 min- It takes me longer to read the paper.

On average Nag takes me 1-1:30(maybe longer if I read the "rant's" corners) hour.

Also hardware reviews were so much more detailed , now it's like a short summary.

I don't like summaries, I like long winded passages of how the GPU works, how the platters store their data and how the latest tech works.Not just your short "state of the art" page's

It's hard for me to say this, But nag's hardware reviews are getting better each day...

The MAG: games-

Truly a more run down section of the mag- The old reviews were so awesome, Like the Age2 review.

There was a "game problems corner" and alot of cheats were also given- Which in the end stopped you from long escapades to locate a patch or cheat on the net.

Okay, This was kinda a rant in itself...

Maybe my standarts are too high? But then these were the standarts set by the same mag nearly 5 years ago... Ah! how time flies...

*Maybe I will edit spelling and grammar a bit later, though I doubt it :P
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

thEnaileDonE wrote:
jee wrote:move along people - either say something that will be of value to this thread (contsructive please) or desist in making innane comments please?
...what jee said :!: ... doh!
Who else sees the irony in this?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

neon_chameleon wrote:
thEnaileDonE wrote:
jee wrote:move along people - either say something that will be of value to this thread (contsructive please) or desist in making innane comments please?
...what jee said :!: ... doh!
Who else sees the irony in this?
Well, it took long enough... :twisted:
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

The one single reason I stopped buying PCFormat almost a year ago was the state of the DVD...

It is a gaming mag with a gaming disc. However, in the last year basically ALL that is loaded on the disc are freeware appz, that REPEAT nearly every 3rd month... Whilst a app to write discs or play videos are nice, I dont want 3 different appz every third or fourth MONTH for crying out loud!

The amount of games on the dvd as it is in % to max space, versus the space dedicated when it was still in CD format has gone from nearly 80% to propably 25% , although dont quote me on this. I havent bought the mag in QUITE a while...
(I am NOT saying dump all the appz, but how about 5 DECENT game demos and 5 or 6 TRUE freeware games in a month, not play for an hour and then buy me for $10.00 trialware nonsense)

This was the SAME reason I stopped my NAG subscription quite a few years ago when they changed to the 2 CD idea for a while, where they only added more and more appz and took away more games... Then, when the DVD came they quickly overtook PCF again...

Sure, I hate consoles in general and prefer to read pc reviews, but when I pay R40 for a mag with DVD I expect game demoes from all over...

I am not even sorry to say this, hate me if you want, but when I want reading for a month (Which seldom happens as I read normal books much more and have much less time on my hands) I go straight to buy the NAG, not PC Format. The responses I received from Tamsin when I emailed her about my issue with this was of such a nature that I just plain REFUSE to buy PCF any time soon again... Even if editors changed, if that was the general way the mag would handle a customer...

If and when I see that this changes (I occasionaly browse the mag at a friend) I may consider buying it again... I will start working from next year if I pass my studies, so I will have money to blow... Wheee.......

Take this at hate speech if you want, but I say this with an extreme hope for change... I love pc's, I love gaming, but I am NOT going to waste time on money on something that bores me or I find useless...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Kronos wrote:Instructions on how to use the DVD for Creator[/b]
Can your index finger click the left mouse button?
Put the DVD into your DVD drive (That's the one with a little DVD logo on it)
Go to "My Computer" (This would be YOUR Computer)
Open the DVD Icon where it says "PCF_November2006"
Double Click the "pcf116.exe" File[/i]
Did you make that observation by yourself..... Awesom dude you need a noddy badge
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

LOL!
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
eraser

Post by eraser »

NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:
Kronos wrote:Instructions on how to use the DVD for Creator[/b]
Can your index finger click the left mouse button?
Put the DVD into your DVD drive (That's the one with a little DVD logo on it)
Go to "My Computer" (This would be YOUR Computer)
Open the DVD Icon where it says "PCF_November2006"
Double Click the "pcf116.exe" File[/i]
Did you make that observation by yourself..... Awesom dude you need a noddy badge

@ neon, hope u dnt mind me using this! :D
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Slasher wrote:...It is a gaming mag...
No, it's PCFormat, not GamingFormat.

It's about PCs. Everything relating to PCs, not Just games.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

lol, eraser, sure no problem. :D
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Kronos wrote:
Slasher wrote:...It is a gaming mag...
No, it's PCFormat, not GamingFormat.

It's about PCs. Everything relating to PCs, not Just games.
I did not say its JUST games... The core of the mag was however mostly focused on games, and especially the cover disc. This has moved almost completely away from gaming, with more pages dedicated to hardware and gimmicks per month than for gaming (Yes, I am overstating this, do not go and count and give me page statistics...)

My view, my desire from the mag... You have a different opinion...

** Insert NAUGHTY's SIGANTURE HERE **
My BF2142 Stats:

Macrohard

Post by Macrohard »

Having read all of the arguments, I must say that this has been most entertaining. Creator, you are a real piece of work. I hope to one day dissect your abilities in your job and throw it in your face like you have done to the editor.

I have been buying PC Format since 1997 and, to be honest, I have never been disappointed to the point of never buying it again (or flaming the editor like you have). If you feel this strongly over the editor giving a poor kid a mouse for writing a letter to her, you really have some serious issues.

I personally feel that the letter might not have been the best one to choose from, but at least the mouse is going to someone who will definitely use it rather than let it gather dust in a cupboard somewhere. If you had to give something away, wouldn't you prefer to see it put to good use?

Regarding your argument about the CPU testing and the fact that the editor didn't actually say which one is the best in her editor's letter, let me ask you this; Do you read the last page of a novel to find out what happens before reading the novel first? I for one would not have bothered reading the article if I knew which CPU had won.

Creator, I suggest you stop crying like a spoilt brat. It is very clear to me that you either sent in a letter and it wasn't published (and the fact the some poor kid beat you) or you possibly applied for the editor's position and you were beaten by a girl :)

Regardless, I am a firm believer in giving someone a chance. 2 months isn't enough time to draw a conclusion. All I can say is that anybody could do a better job than her predecessor.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

No, i agree with Creator about the CPU thing.

If PCF is going to do CPU tests, dont tell US to figure out which is best. There are people that actually take what's in the PCF VERY seriously and buy their hardware according to that, no how the hell are those people supposed to think?!

Seriously, i really feel that the reviewers should have said which chip(s) are better.

My 2c.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Judas

Post by Judas »

Macrohard wrote:Having read all of the arguments, I must say that this has been most entertaining. Creator, you are a real piece of work. I hope to one day dissect your abilities in your job and throw it in your face like you have done to the editor.
The only problem I have with your statement is that it's the editor's job to make readers happy. If you're not happy with the magazine, you have every right to complain.

Of course she can't make everyone happy, but when so many people are dissatisfied with the magazine there's a major problem... I don't think it's her fault though, this downward trend started a while before she got the job.
Macrohard wrote:All I can say is that anybody could do a better job than her predecessor.
Hah, you slam Creator for insulting Stacey, and now you insult Walt? Hypocrisy! It's clear to me that you have a secret crush on Stacey, and you're defending her in the hopes that she'll notice and reply to your love letters.
Last edited by Judas on 31 Oct 2006, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
jee

Post by jee »

Well.. i will admit that cannot comment much on what has been said because i had to make some decisions regarding the mags that i'm buying and from this stable - netPlus and computeractive have won... so i have not seen pcf for the last three months...

I want to however make some comments....

do not expect somebody to step into another's shoes
failing is only when you don't try again
Rome was not built in one day
it is always better to address a problem to the person in charge first in private... then take the discussion out in the open

There have been some valid moans and groans on this forum over the years - some of them repeat themselves month after month, issue after issue... editor after ed.... i disliked Mars - intensely... so much that i refused to have anything to do with the mag... and watch not only pcf but the other mags change over the years.

However... how often have you seen anyone say "thank you", or "well done"?

To our new ed... gurl.. you need hair on your teefs if you want to keep everyone happy... but you will NEVER succeed. Listen.. read... fume (its ok to turn banshee ever so often... Cameron is slightly deaf) and remember.. no matter what anyone says... the sun will rise tom.......
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Macrohard wrote:Having read all of the arguments, I must say that this has been most entertaining. Creator, you are a real piece of work. I hope to one day dissect your abilities in your job and throw it in your face like you have done to the editor.
Please, keep your hopes and expectations in the gutter where they belong. I can quite assure you that you never will be in any position from whence you'd be able to so much as pass comment about my job without making a complete fool of yourself.
Macrohard wrote:I have been buying PC Format since 1997 and, to be honest, I have never been disappointed to the point of never buying it again (or flaming the editor like you have). If you feel this strongly over the editor giving a poor kid a mouse for writing a letter to her, you really have some serious issues.
The mentality of some people is - for lack of a stronger word - shocking. Don't feel too insulted, but you're truly the metaphorical cherry on top of the half-baked cake representing the low expectations that South Africans have of everything in life. It's ridiculous. If I have a problem with somebody, I will express it in whatever way I feel it will have the greatest impact, and for you to come and tell me that I am the one with issues is one position you are not entitled to be in. The one with the issue is you: you seem to have the lowest possible expectations of PCF, but please, feel free to continue floating through life in your wretched bliss - your world may be perfect, but the real world most certainly is not.
Macrohard wrote:I personally feel that the letter might not have been the best one to choose from, but at least the mouse is going to someone who will definitely use it rather than let it gather dust in a cupboard somewhere. If you had to give something away, wouldn't you prefer to see it put to good use?
Did you know that if you say 'gullible' for long enough, it sounds like 'fish'?
Macrohard wrote:Regarding your argument about the CPU testing and the fact that the editor didn't actually say which one is the best in her editor's letter, let me ask you this; Do you read the last page of a novel to find out what happens before reading the novel first? I for one would not have bothered reading the article if I knew which CPU had won.
If I want to read a book, I'll buy myself one, thank you very much. Aside from that, you've totally missed the point anyway. I won't bother explaining.
Macrohard wrote:Creator, I suggest you stop crying like a spoilt brat. It is very clear to me that you either sent in a letter and it wasn't published (and the fact the some poor kid beat you) or you possibly applied for the editor's position and you were beaten by a girl
Oh, on the topic of assumptions again, are we? Do you know what's clear to me? That you are either a dysfunctional twit who thinks that the YOU Magazine is the best reading material to grace the face of this earth, or that you are a psychology student who failed their first year and still think it's not because of their excellent ability for jumping to conclusions after knowing next to nothing about their subject.

Just to clear up this misconception in your exceptionally muddled mind: I write neither letters to any publication, nor have I ever felt myself destined to become involved in one. Laughing at other people's attempts at wit is much more amusing than reading my own work and trying to find the humour in it. Even more of a joke is reading posts like yours.
Macrohard wrote:Regardless, I am a firm believer in giving someone a chance. 2 months isn't enough time to draw a conclusion. All I can say is that anybody could do a better job than her predecessor.
No need for me to draw any conclusions; they've drawn themselves perfectly well. I have only illustrated them in colourful words.
As for 2 months to adapt to a job - try explaining that to a patient that's just had an arm removed, instead his tonsils because "Oh, our apologies, our surgeon is still adapting to the hospital. He's only been here for 2 months, you see."

Side note 1: I may be wrong, but I believe you are an employee for Intelligence Publishing? Your style and the direction of your argument certainly suggests thus.

Side note 2: I did receive a hearfelt PM from Stacey (editor of PCF) which I will not post here. But I will admit that I do feel quite bad now for some of what I've said, although I can't say that I regret saying any of it. If anything, my choice of words was too harsh.

Edit 1: Upon recommendation from jee, thank you for a great magazine. :) Saying that PCF is my favourite magazine, does imply a big thank you, so forgive me for thinking that was obvious. ;-)

Edit 2: Kronos, thanks for that huuuge reply. :P I did read all of it, and you've got very good points. I could carry on quoting you, but from this point it would just be a difference in opinion anyhow.
Ike

Post by Ike »

jee wrote:There have been some valid moans and groans on this forum over the years - some of them repeat themselves month after month, issue after issue... editor after ed.... i disliked Mars - intensely... so much that i refused to have anything to do with the mag... and watch not only pcf but the other mags change over the years. .
I loved mars, He made PCformat a "MUST HAVE MAG" for the masses!

Maybe Cameron will become the next Editor in 2 years or so?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jee wrote:you need hair on your teefs if you want to keep everyone happy... but you will NEVER succeed.
a truer word was never spoke... took me a while to learn this one... :wink:
Ike wrote:I loved mars
i'm sure this violates your restraining order.... <points finger> stalker!..
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Ike

Post by Ike »

rustypup wrote:
Ike wrote:I loved mars
i'm sure this violates your restraining order.... <points finger> stalker!..
naaah, it's set at 25 meters only... ;)
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Macrohard wrote:I personally feel that the letter might not have been the best one to choose from, but at least the mouse is going to someone who will definitely use it rather than let it gather dust in a cupboard somewhere. If you had to give something away, wouldn't you prefer to see it put to good use?
So when you enter a competition to win a car of a holiday for 2, you do not want a fair chance, but rather feel that the car should be given to the guy that does not have a car or the vacation given to someone 'more deserving'? A lot of people write letters as an 'entry to win'... Now you take it away because they dont 'deserve it' simply because they are not 'poor enough'?

Dude...
My BF2142 Stats:

WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I couldn't have said it better myself :D Good one Slasher! :wink:
jee

Post by jee »

Ike wrote:I loved mars, He made PCformat a "MUST HAVE MAG" for the masses!
see how tastes differs? i don't agree with you... i thought he was one of the most sarcastic chauvinists around... and only started to buy the mag when he left....
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Ike

Post by Ike »

jee wrote:
Ike wrote:I loved mars, He made PCformat a "MUST HAVE MAG" for the masses!
see how tastes differs? i don't agree with you... i thought he was one of the most sarcastic chauvinists around... and only started to buy the mag when he left....
:lol:

We'll that describes around 88.8% of the male population...

I think that PC format's "target" market was expanded to broadly?

I think, meaning, I guess, meaning nothing @ all
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Damn, guys. The love is so evident that it actually makes the air seem thicker.
Anyway, my 2c worth.

Editing PC Format is not an easy task. The editor is stuck between readers who demand certain things, and publishers who enforce other things. These things are hardly ever the same. The editor has to perform a careful balancing act of using overseas content, which the publisher insists on, and including locally written stuff, which the readers demand. Unfortunately the publisher often wins the fight.

Additionally, the production schedule is really tight, which allows errors to creep in. They used to drive me crazy when I was editing the mag, and every time they were pointed out it made me nuts, because they COULD have been avoided - in theory. But the practical side of these things is a little different and, for all of those not in the publishing industry who are criticising, your lack of experience in publishing is obvious. Hell, many of those mistakes come right out of the UK mag that you praise so highly. A magazine devoid of mistakes is a sadly rare thing. It should be that every mag is without them, but this is hardly a perfect world, people make mistakes, so on, so forth...

Jumping into the deep end on a project like editing PC Format is a really tough task. I know, I was there. And while it is more than apparent that I was hardly a favourite among readers I hope my opinion in this matter counts - seeing as how I have actually been there and am no longer there. My comments here are not out of loyalty. I feel no such thing towards my previous position, for many reasons that are not appropriate for a public forum. I am putting these comments here because I think you guys are being pretty savage (as you always have been) towards someone that deserves a little bit of a break - it's a damned tough job and until you have walked a mile in any of these editor's shoes, present or past, you should maybe think about moderating your tone a little. And I mean specifically the shoes of PC Format's editor (all you English students who want to try get snotty can piss off before you even start.)

Criticism doesn't need to be nasty to be constructive, guys. Calm down, grow up and give the lady a little slack. Not too much... keep her on her toes. But don't get so nasty. It helps nothing - in fact, in my case it just made me want to annoy you more. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Try it sometime.

To the new ed... never got a chance to wish you luck. And don't let these guys get to you. They will try. :)

PS: LOL! Better get Cammie to change my profile thingie...
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

I think that ya'll should give the new ed a chance to prove herself. Don't be too quick to judge.

Lazarus - Shattered Halls

ek se hosh. dala kulids. ghle, ho! oom, atts! hoe lyk die kambotcha? gwallafest 2007
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

I'll be honest, I haven't tried my DVD yet, so I can't talk about the autorun or interface, but I have read the mag. I never even noticed the things you have all been saying until I went back to look for them after reading here. I have never been disappointed with the mag, ever. And I think that some of you guys are being a little harsh on the Ed, this is only her second mag. It can't be easy trying to keep all you lot happy, but she is doing her best. Just remember, you can't please everyone.

To Stacey, Welcome :D . To the rest of the PCF team, keep up the great work
DJ
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook