Tip: Foreign currency, buying from overseas

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Kenjutsu

Tip: Foreign currency, buying from overseas

Post by Kenjutsu »

Recently, I bought an upgrade to ConvertXtoDVD. The default currency is euro. I decided to first see what the exchange rate on the other available currencies would be, before buying. I used XE for the conversion, and found that (at that time) to buy in euros, would work out to about R282. Of all the other currencies, the Australian dollar worked out the cheapest at about R227. :lol:
Perception is strong and sight weak. In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things. - Miyamoto Musashi
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Nice tip!
VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

jamin_za wrote:Nice tip!
+1

I am always buying online, this will save me hundreds... :D

*edit: spelling :roll:
Last edited by VinceThePrince on 21 Jul 2008, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral Of The First Task Force - 1st South African Fleet [ Star Trek: Online]
*****Luciendar J Bethesda*****
***Ships: The USS: Kit Rae and The USS: Kabal***
** Science and Exploration Officer **
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

At first I thought this was about how to buy foreign currency and thought someone was going to get a warning / banned. IIRC foreign currency (notes) can't be bought directly, eg it's illegal to buy and keep $5,000 and sell it when the rand drops and then wait till we do a bit better and then buy dollars. You are permitted to do it through some exchanges / investment groups but you can't do it directly.

If you did this with large sums in Zim, you'd probably be a multiquadrillion / quintillionaire / sextillion aire... And the next day, it would be worth 2c.

Nice tip on the Oz dollar BTW. Are they stronger than the USD yet? I know the Canadian dollar is 1:1 with the USD now.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Ike

Post by Ike »

Hex_Rated wrote:At first I thought this was about how to buy foreign currency and thought someone was going to get a warning / banned. IIRC foreign currency (notes) can't be bought directly, eg it's illegal to buy and keep $5,000 and sell it when the rand drops and then wait till we do a bit better and then buy dollars. You are permitted to do it through some exchanges / investment groups but you can't do it directly.

If you did this with large sums in Zim, you'd probably be a multiquadrillion / quintillionaire / sextillion aire... And the next day, it would be worth 2c.

Nice tip on the Oz dollar BTW. Are they stronger than the USD yet? I know the Canadian dollar is 1:1 with the USD now.
:? since when? I have several currencies in our safe. The bank actually sells it to you...
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Ike wrote:
Hex_Rated wrote:At first I thought this was about how to buy foreign currency and thought someone was going to get a warning / banned. IIRC foreign currency (notes) can't be bought directly, eg it's illegal to buy and keep $5,000 and sell it when the rand drops and then wait till we do a bit better and then buy dollars. You are permitted to do it through some exchanges / investment groups but you can't do it directly.

:? since when? I have several currencies in our safe. The bank actually sells it to you...
http://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&pw ... ng&spell=1

But I think the bank is fine, they probably sell it at higher prices and buy it at lower prices then the exchange rate and deal with it through forex. Unless they've changed the law, it's illegal to do it through any unofficial means or unlicensed currency dealers.

My dad told me this a few years ago and two of his degrees are BCom Economics + MBA (graduated cum laude) so I think he knows what he's talking about. He still kept over $1000 cash in our safe from one of his recent trip and said it's strictly speaking illegal to do that, you aren't allowed to keep it, you must convert it back to rands. Don't know if it's changed but I'm sure keeping $100,000 in notes would be frowned upon by the law.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

Hex_Rated wrote:If you did this with large sums in Zim, you'd probably be a multiquadrillion / quintillionaire / sextillion aire... And the next day, it would be worth 2c.
:lol: That is why all Zim notes have an expiration date. They are only valid until a certain date.
Hex_Rated wrote:Nice tip on the Oz dollar BTW. Are they stronger than the USD yet? I know the Canadian dollar is 1:1 with the USD now.
Just be careful with the Oz dollar. Today at one stage the US$ worked out cheaper compared to the AUD (by about R30) for the one product I checked.
Perception is strong and sight weak. In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things. - Miyamoto Musashi
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Ike wrote: :? since when? I have several currencies in our safe. The bank actually sells it to you...
Hmmm. Interesting. I always thought you needed a plane ticket to show what the currency was for.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Ike wrote: :? since when? I have several currencies in our safe. The bank actually sells it to you...
Hmmm. Interesting. I always thought you needed a plane ticket to show what the currency was for.
I'm sure it states it in your passport...

Just checked, it states:
SA Passport wrote:2. Unused amounts must be resold to your banker in South Africa
It's under "Foreign travel allowance" so not 100% sure but what else could that mean? When I went to buy currency to go over to Ireland a year or so ago I had to produce my passport and ticket otherwise they wouldn't sell it to me.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I think if it was legal it would wreak havoc on the economies of countries. Not sure how it works but my guess is it would falsely devalue or overvalue currency.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Friggs wrote:It's under "Foreign travel allowance" so not 100% sure but what else could that mean? When I went to buy currency to go over to Ireland a year or so ago I had to produce my passport and ticket otherwise they wouldn't sell it to me.
Yeah, exactly. It was like that when i went to London as well. They refused to sell to me unless i showed them my passport and ticket.

Hex_Rated wrote:I think if it was legal it would wreak havoc on the economies of countries. Not sure how it works but my guess is it would falsely devalue or overvalue currency.
Exactly what i was thinking.

Ike, what bank are you part of dude?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

You cannot obtain foreign currency from any Institution in South Africa unless you have Reserve bank clearance. A valid passport and return air ticket is acceptable, your overseas allowance varies but it may be as high as R750000. This is what may be taken out in one year if you are returning to SA. Emigration allowances vary, that is why many people do not tell the authorities that they are leaving permanently.
Trading in foreign currency is still illegal in SA, although small credit card transactions are overlooked.
Money that you have left from a previous trip should be resold but most people do not. They keep it for the next trip.
Not many sites offer the kind of currency transactions that Kenjutsu mentioned.