W32.SillyFDC

Viruses, hackers and crackers
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

okay spayware then ?
Prime

Post by Prime »

wishblade wrote:Well, what size is the network? And what type of AV does the company have - a centrally managed (corporate/enterprise/business) type, or the normal user (standalone) mode? If you use Symantec's business products you should have access to a centrally managed console. From here you can launch a scan for each PC that it manages. Using technical wit, you should be able to close open shares overnight, and run a scan during this time. Problem resolved!!!

Trust me - we have a network of over 50000 users and have never had to take the network down for virus related issues!!

And by the way, very few AV's run in safemode - if you don't believe me, try launch a scan after booting into safe mode. Majority of AV's won't even have started, let alone trying to scan.
Thats realy weird! because a lot of the removal advice i've come across on AV websites, namely Symnatec has suggested rebooting in safe mode with sytem restore disabled and running a virus scan or the removal tool. :?

well it sounds like its gonna be an absolute pain so good luck removing it :wink:
wishblade

Post by wishblade »

I'm not claiming all of them do that, just the majority. Symantec could very well be different - I don't use Symantec products. I have used their website though once or twice, and as far as I can see though, some of their removal tools need to be run in safe mode. If this is the 'scan' you are refering to, I just would like to mention (no disrespect) that this isn't a scan, but similar in comparison to a script that removes the specific form of malware.

But as I said, I could be wrong about Symantec running a scan in safe mode... Please don't execute me!!!!
The truth: someone's perception of the state of the world, such that no-one has yet shown them to be wrong using someone else's perceptions...
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Symantec can run scans in safe mode.

Would you like a screenshot ?

Cant have one i'm not restarting my PC just to do that. OK!
:P
wishblade

Post by wishblade »

No, its alright - I believe you! Good to know though...
The truth: someone's perception of the state of the world, such that no-one has yet shown them to be wrong using someone else's perceptions...