Linux Mint - Your views?

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
shiv

PCLinuxOS FTW!!!

Post by shiv »

PCLinuxOS FTW!!!

Ubuntu is over hyped - like the iPhone, lol.
WAJeff

Re: PCLinuxOS FTW!!!

Post by WAJeff »

shiv wrote:PCLinuxOS FTW!!!

Depends on the person using it :wink:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

mint is nice for a visit, but doesn't really offer all that much which could set it apart... the same speed bonus can be achieved by using a CLI install, and then dropping in your preferred desktop environment.

PCLOS is still really green around the edges - shows great promise, but at some point needs to break from the generic windows approach to doing things. not that i'm arguing against this, just that the end user needs to get to grips with linux.

linux pretending to be windows is not a good thing. sooner or later the user will be asked to do something 'scary', like edit a config file, and it'll be this thread all over again...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
shiv

Re: PCLinuxOS FTW!!!

Post by shiv »

g0ldback wrote:
shiv wrote:PCLinuxOS FTW!!!

Depends on the person using it :wink:
LOL.
The iPhone can't even get the basics right (if you read all the negative comments you'll know what I mean!).
And the 3G version doesn't change that much either.

Aaah, Ubuntu, shame...
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote:mint is nice for a visit, but doesn't really offer all that much which could set it apart... the same speed bonus can be achieved by using a CLI install, and then dropping in your preferred desktop environment.

PCLOS is still really green around the edges - shows great promise, but at some point needs to break from the generic windows approach to doing things. not that i'm arguing against this, just that the end user needs to get to grips with linux.

linux pretending to be windows is not a good thing. sooner or later the user will be asked to do something 'scary', like edit a config file, and it'll be this thread all over again...
People would not want to get to grips with Linux.
They would just want something secure, fast, free, etc.

Shouldn't the fact that someone has ditched Windows and is using Linux be enough for you?? :lol:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Max resolution i can get is 1280x1024?

i wonder if it might not be driver related. i haven't got th ati drivers installled. i can't quite figure that one out. :?