DVD Cover Disk

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Thinice

DVD Cover Disk

Post by Thinice »

Hi

When can we expect the cover disc to be DVD?
The rest of the world do it in DVD!!!
Why not us?

My posts are my own and not those of DigitalSAonline.co.za

South Africa's Online Web Store for Gamers.
http://www.DigitalSAOnline.co.za

Sponsor of
http://www.proximitylan.co.za
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

u got 70 bucks to spend on a mag
cos i sure don't
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

This has been asked quite a few times before - it would push up the cost of the magazine too much.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

Can nothing be dont about this, R70....

Must it be so high?

Sponsor of
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

do u think it cud be cheaper

anywayz most ppl have also complained abt redundant content over the months on DVD
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Besides, where is Cameron going to find 4 gigs of games, data and video clips for a DVD, every month?

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Thinice

Post by Thinice »

lol - off the net maybe, anyways, it was just a thought...

Love the review of the new ATI Card, awesome, wish I could have one, but at 8x rather than 16x is not worth it....

IS IT?

Sponsor of
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

one reason i'd like to see a dvd is because there would be space for win AND linux apps, games, etc. There could be complete programs on it, not just shareware, freeware, etc. By that i mean complete LINUX programs.

But yea, the price would go up and that would be a bad thing! :evil:
sinner777

Post by sinner777 »

hey, not too sure where to post this but since you are on about the magazine, there is something very wrong with the system requirements for Thief 3 in the mag, I am sure that that cannot be right, page 32.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

A dvd cover disk is a good idea, but in SA a lot of ppl (myself included) don't have dvd-roms. :( And, again, the price will increase too much.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
Artagra
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Artagra »

There will be no performance difference going from AGP to PCI-E for the ATI x800 XT... quite simple, really!

Otherwise a DVD would be nice, but I understand the reasons against it. Maybe a DVD once a year, kinda 'special edition'?

Artagra
bubble_boy

Post by bubble_boy »

Artagra wrote:There will be no performance difference going from AGP to PCI-E for the ATI x800 XT... quite simple, really!

Otherwise a DVD would be nice, but I understand the reasons against it. Maybe a DVD once a year, kinda 'special edition'?

Artagra
a special edition dvd, now that is an excellent idea (shift+1)(shift+1)(shift+1) :D :D :D

we want a special ed dvd....(shift+1)(shift+1)

i think that is an idea that can realy work(shift+1)(shift+1)(shift+1)
i probably had something to say if you are reading this.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Artagra get's the award for idea of the month!! That could really work, Even if the mag is slightly more exspensive, I'd def buy it! 8O
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Soon someone will ask PCF to include free washing powder samples with each mag... or samples of a new skin cream... :wink:
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

wit_skapie wrote:Soon someone will ask PCF to include free washing powder samples with each mag... or samples of a new skin cream... :wink:
skapie, i like the way you think!!! Ahem, dear PCF, please could we have some free washing powder with the next issue? Thank you in advance. :D :D :D :D :D
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

he he ... what about a free "sample" GFX card....?
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

wit_skapie wrote:he he ... what about a free "sample" GFX card....?
What about the cover girl, ATi gard and the DVD ;-)
simmy

Post by simmy »

SoulBlade wrote:
wit_skapie wrote:he he ... what about a free "sample" GFX card....?
What about the cover girl, ATi gard and the DVD ;-)
There we go! :onfire:
Welcome SoulBlade, but you're no n00b?

and some washing powder!
Last edited by simmy on 28 Jul 2004, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

that really would make life a lot easier... especially on the poor old pocket ey? :roll:
JEdiWaNNaBE

Post by JEdiWaNNaBE »

Since all of you are asking for somethings, how about pcf includes some free soap :?

Mine kinda ran out a while ago :oops: and i've had no time to go to the shops and even if i did, they would probably run away.

So come on guys, help a fellow smelly geek :D
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Cammie battles to fill the 700mb cd's up, do you think he'll actually spend time download 4.7Gb's of stuff for us (or leeching it from the uk version).

Furthurmore, I don't have a dvd rom, 'cos I don't like single layer dvd's! Nor do I own any. The 35 bucks for the mag is too expensive anyway, forget R70. For 70 extra bucks, I could afford Sentech, well maybe not. :)
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Looking at it this way, doing a dvd cover disc isn't such a bad idea.If you look at entry level pc's nowdays they come standard with a dvdrom fitted so with in the next few months a lot of people will have dvdroms.One also need to think about the size of demos one would be extremely lucky to get a "good" demo under a 100mb the more advanced games become the more space hungry they will become.So with in the next few months cammy might consider doing a dvd cover disc.But this will most likely happen any way with in the next few years as the normal cd standard falls away. So why not speed up the process.

However prices on the DVD-R are becoming cheaper so.So you might be looking at an increase of about 20-30 bucks.Which is not bad at all for 4.7 gigs of demo programs.It costs me more in any case to download 4.7 gigs a month then what the mag would cost.

short term there might be a reader loss but thats life, long term the reader base should increase again.

So cammy has two options stick to the what the mag offers now and lose little to none in readers or go with tech and stand a chance of either winning big time or losing a lot.

My best advise really is to do a trial run of about two or so months and check the sales if nothing happens....tough the market isn't ready just yet.

or

A much better option would be to release a dvdcover disc every second month with mabye looking removing the first months disc, however still charge the same price for the first months disc and deduct the cd price diff on the second months mag....so you might be looking at mabye an odd 10 bucks saving on the second month mabye paying 60 bucks for your mag.

or

Or the best plan by far would be to do both versions with one diffrence, the dvd edtion only to be released by subscription.So one will not lose "any" money since you will not be left with excess
copies.

so this is my view on this positive topic
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

OK so here are the reasons why we don't have a DVD on the cover - the same reasons every time.

The magazine would cost waaaaaaaaaay too much for the DVD to be worth it. You cannot compare us to UK or USA mags because it is much, much cheaper to do this over there (1st world as opposed to 3rd world countries). It would be awesome, amazing, great, fantastic but expensive and not worth it in those terms. It sucks, I know but that's the way it is. Sigh.
halo

Post by halo »

guys just get ova it. how many times have people asked and how many times have they received the same damn answer? i say, just get ova it. why not ask for something more productive, eg a cover disc worth of free game or appl. or something to that effect :arrow: