why are we paying so much ??

Any hardware related topics go here.
PhReaK_K

why are we paying so much ??

Post by PhReaK_K »

Ok I dont get it !!!
everywhere on the net the Ati 4850 gets sold for about $200 ( R1600 ) now why in the flippen hell do we get our local retailers selling it for between R2400 and R3100. WTF, that is not rite or am I just looking in the wrong places ??

And the excuse of, welcome so SA is not gonna cut it, I need actual answers. FFS.

*this is me irritated* :evil:

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So why don't you buy one for $200, import it, pay the shipping, pay the import duties and see what it comes to. Then if you have to RMA it, you can pay to send it back again from wherever you bought it, and probably again when they send it back to you, plus the import duties again.

Or you can just pay R2.5k and get it locally, with all that stuff already included.
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

so what it gets made and packaged in the US ???

Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

schase wrote:So why don't you buy one for $200, import it, pay the shipping, pay the import duties and see what it comes to. Then if you have to RMA it, you can pay to send it back again from wherever you bought it, and probably again when they send it back to you, plus the import duties again.

Or you can just pay R2.5k and get it locally, with all that stuff already included.
But dude, local suppliers get all that in bulk, so I seriously doubt it will come up to that much
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ark wrote:But dude, local suppliers get all that in bulk, so I seriously doubt it will come up to that much
Well, I'm sure they might get some sort of a bulk discount, but how many of those cards do you think they order at a time?
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

Ark wrote:But dude, local suppliers get all that in bulk, so I seriously doubt it will come up to that much
Exactly . . .

PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

So you are telling me that paying almost DOUBLE what the rest of the world is paying, and I do mean rest of the world, ( US, UK, Sweden freaken Australia, And it wont surprise me if you can get it for cheaper in ZIM) is fine with you and that import cost make up all that ??
That just sounds ridiculous. I can accept a bit of a higher price, I know we are on the southern tip of Africa, and people are scared to some here and peddle their goods cuz of the crime and what not. But dammit, a good price would be R2000.

halo

Post by halo »

PhReaK_K wrote:So you are telling me that paying almost DOUBLE what the rest of the world is paying, and I do mean rest of the world, ( US, UK, Sweden freaken Australia, And it wont surprise me if you can get it for cheaper in ZIM) is fine with you and that import cost make up all that ??
That just sounds ridiculous. I can accept a bit of a higher price, I know we are on the southern tip of Africa, and people are scared to some here and peddle their goods cuz of the crime and what not. But dammit, a good price would be R2000.
even though your point of view is valid you arent looking at it from a business point of view.

In the US, the price of those cards isnt 200$, its 200$ excluding tax, and tax depends on which state you purchase the cards from, ranging from 7.5-15% so worst case one card could cost up to 230$. the price SA importers pay per card is less than this, lets say 10%, that means SA importers pay 207$ per card...

now factor in costs of Shipping, handling fees and customs and you are sitting some where at the 250$ mark.... now add markup ( or else there is no point in selling goods) say 50%, meaning 375$ per card on the shelf, at 8 rand per dollar = R3000.... I think you are paying a fair price in SA... sure it isnt cheap, but when you consider the costs involved, it aint all that bad...

It could be worse, you could want to by a PS3 and find out that SA prices are ..... about twice the cost of the same PS3 in the US... hell my 80GB PS3 with a dual shock 3 controller and MGS4 and a bluetooth head set cost me than a 40GB PS3 in SA.... now thats expensive!
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

UK pay about 200E and Aus pay about the same as us. Brazil has it worse, they have exorbitant import duties IIRC. Try import it yourself and you'll end up getting it for slightly cheaper. It will stabilize at about R2k once the initial release hype dies down.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

Hex_Rated wrote:UK pay about 200E and Aus pay about the same as us. Brazil has it worse, they have exorbitant import duties IIRC. Try import it yourself and you'll end up getting it for slightly cheaper. It will stabilize at about R2k once the initial release hype dies down.
yea, we will then have to wait... again..
damn !!!
*facepalm*

Mow

Post by Mow »

I can see these cards going for 1700 soon.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

A few years ago it used to be that we'd have to wait 3 months for the component to even make it into the country. At least now we get it the same week (even day) so you shouldn't complain so much.

The retailers that make the mission to get it to us as quick as they do have every right to charge what ever they want. If you don't want to pay that amount, you don't have to. It's not like it's bread or air or something you have to have.
I can see these cards going for 1700 soon.
Definitely. Probably about 2 months time after nVidia is forced to drop their prices.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

Mow wrote:I can see these cards going for 1700 soon.
I can but only pray that you are speaking the truth ... and the visions you see are not drug induced hallucinations

PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

[quote"Hex_Rated"]
The retailers that make the mission to get it to us as quick as they do have every right to charge what ever they want. If you don't want to pay that amount, you don't have to. It's not like it's bread or air or something you have to have. [/quote]

mmm, like we have to accept Telkom pricing paired with bad service, or Eskom price hikes, or windows charging R5000 for an OS, etc. Just because we don't have a choice does not make it right.

Yea and I can remember the days where we used to ait months hell sometimes six months for stuff to even hit our shore, and that was not a long time ago. I am still just saying that does not make it right.

The mentality of " you need it we have it, and if you don't want to pay then your screwed " is wrong to start off with.

If they can sell it for cheaper and still make a profit, why not ?

Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Telkom and ESKOM are monopolies, the graphics hardware business is not.

So why don't you start importing graphics cards then? You've obviously found a gap in the market that no one else can see.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Rule of thumb for getting IT prices in SA:

Take [US$ price x (current exchange rate + 20c)] + 1000 = SA Price.

That formula is pretty accurate most of the time.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

and the people that import and sell is clearly have a monopoly??
As you put it, importing yourself just does not make sense .. So we have to get it from them.

On the other hand they are probly just taking advantage of people that need to have the biggest e-penis, cuz they dont mind buying overpriced stuff. Lets see in a month or two what happens ??

Zana

Post by Zana »

dont forget the custardy customs... this is also an unecessary add on , pluss the VAT which goes to goverment, to keep them fat and well fed..
These items get added on parts and components, as well as software disks. Yup its ****** , unfair world... I still dont understand how and why the exchange system works... the ups and downs of price exchanges and so on so forth...i find it makes no sense.
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
VoodooProphetII

Post by VoodooProphetII »

Looking at it from a financial business point of view:

You purchase said item for R2000.00. You need to pay import duties on said item, which is between 14% to 16% (I think). But what about shipping. Now say you bring in 20 units, it will work out cheaper on your shipping then to bring in only 1, 2 or maybe even 5 units.

Now the shipping for 20 items would be: say roughly "R1000.00" from the US to your door. Now I'm not too sure about this, but right when we import stuff from SA to Swaziland they include the shipping to the cost price of the products being imported, before they calculate the import duties, but lets just say that's not the case.

So the price for each item works out 2000, plus say 15% would be R2300 plus the shipping R2350 (R1000 divide by the 20 units. But now you need to make some profit. Now say you add 20% contribution. That would take the price per unit up to R2760.00. Adding the 14% vat you sitting with R3146.40. Now you might think that 20% contribution / profit is a lot. Well to be honest it's a little low. That 20% is what's called gross contribution. You still have your indirect cost. Your overhead labour, your building maintenance, and all those other sometimes big expenses, which is not possible unless you reach budget on turnover. But even if you reach budget, that 20% could still be insufficient, for now you but sitting with what is called profit at the gate.

There are also the admin overheads and sales and marketing that some companies leave separate before getting to operating profit / profit before tax.

Now I know this is maybe an explanation why big companies charge what they charge, but there a lot more other costs I didn't even mention.

I'm not saying that we always paying a fair price, I'm just say that there's more to it then just these general calculations we so easily do to justify why we get upset about what we paying for some things.

I got my G92 GTS a week after it got released for roughly R2500.00 That's exactly R1000 cheaper then what it was available for in SA. Now the reason I got it so cheap was the fact that I was in Washington DC for December. Now that's just brilliant. But...what did my plane ticket cost me, and not to mention other costs included in me being in the US.

Direct comparisons doesn't always work.
Last edited by VoodooProphetII on 30 Jun 2008, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

PhReaK_K wrote:and the people that import and sell is clearly have a monopoly??
As you put it, importing yourself just does not make sense .. So we have to get it from them.
LOL. There is no monopoly, anyone can buy and sell. It just doesn't make sense because the margins are so small which is what everyone in this thread has been trying to explain to you. It's not because of some grand worldwide conspiracy to keep hardware expensive in South Africa.

You could probably import an HD4850 for R2,000 if you wanted to. But is it worthwhile when you can get one for R2,300 from Landmarkpc or another e-tailer who has already gone through all the effort of importing and taken all the risk.
dont forget the custardy customs... this is also an unecessary add on
Customs works to discourage people from importing products from overseas which could be made locally. They are there to improve our own economy. AFAIK there are very little to no customs on most IT products because SA does not have their own local producer of most IT goods. Most of the additional cost of importing is from taxes and shipping.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Customs works to discourage people
:lol: :lol: Tax!! need is say more SARS is the devil.It's just a money making scheme thats all..I worked long enough at the airport I should know.You can import as much as you want it's the vat that SARS is after which it loses from an import.
They are there to improve our own economy
:lol: :lol:
uhmm that statement is false.

Either way making it locally or importing some thing your still going to pay tax.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Zana

Post by Zana »

I agree fully with wizzard of id, the system stinks...SARS is the Devil, and the government is the antichrist....
They dont care for smaller business that need to grow.. they wanna hog everything, and be scruges
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
andyddr

Post by andyddr »

PhReaK_K

I've been down the road of importing goods from the US and let me break it down for you:

Ati 4850 - $199.00
Shipping from online store to forwarding company: $6.00
Handling cost of forwarding company: $10.00
Payment into forward company account (4.7% of $199.00): $9.36
Shipping and insurance: $55.00
VAT on total: $39.11

Total: $318.47
Converted into Rands (at 8.0): R2547.76

Obviously the large suppliers in SA get a nice discount on bulk goods as well as save a lot on shipping (sea freight) so let's take off $100.00 per card. That leaves us with a theoretical price of R1747.76 (supplier selling price). Add to that their mark-up as well as VAT. Then the retailers need to add their little bit as well as VAT again.
So why are prices so high? It's not the suppliers or retailers, but rather Mr. Taxman.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

wizardofid wrote:
Customs works to discourage people
:lol: :lol: Tax!! need is say more SARS is the devil.It's just a money making scheme thats all..I worked long enough at the airport I should know.You can import as much as you want it's the vat that SARS is after which it loses from an import.
They are there to improve our own economy
:lol: :lol:
uhmm that statement is false.

Either way making it locally or importing some thing your still going to pay tax.
Whether you believe it works or not is irrelevant. Import taxation's main purpose is to deter people from importing foreign products and to encourage the growth of native industry. Done correctly it should be more beneficial to a countries economy than detrimental. What are the duties on IT equipment anyways since you worked at an airport?
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Import duties are protectionism BS imho. Meant to protect the weak and in the end hurting the consumer.

Totally against any form of duties or important levies. See no point in artificial protecting companies or industries. If they can't stand on their own feet than they should be operating in the first place.

On duties. If I remember correctly Mister Manuel a few budgets back removed duties from certain computer components. He kept import vat but took away the duties. At least that's what I remember. Those in the know correct me if my memory has failed me.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer