Anything & everything regarding Doom 3 and Half-Life 2

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Hell Knight. It says so on the Megarom website.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
BillaBoy

Post by BillaBoy »

OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Hell Knight. It says so on the Megarom website.
If only I werent so lazy to read
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

amock wrote:anybody got a clue as to how this rig will run doom 3 -->

1.3 GHZ Duron
256mb ram at 266
ti4800 128mb

can't find any info for such a slow CPU
If I had to guess, based on what I've read I'd say probably at 20-30 fps at medium - low details, 1024 x 768.. maybe even 800x600.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Yeah - as Obi said, you may be ok, but I would look into upgrading to an Athlon (dirt cheap these days) and getting another 256meg of RAM, just to be sure.

I'm actually hoping for some "real world" benchmarks with some of the "lesser" cards, like the Ti4x00 / 9700 / 9800 cards

There is talk of the texture quality being so high in Doom3, that you'll only get the full benefit of it on extreme high end cards - 512meg video cards anyone ?

I'm considering not upgrading my video card (got a ti4200 that should do), but rather my speakers !
Doom3 has 6.1 surround sound and I've only got some crappy creative 4.1's - so speakers are a good upgrade.

Hmm, a bigger monitor would do nicely too !
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

USELESS FLAMING COMMENT removed!

- ONLYONE
kraven

Post by kraven »

Never have i seen so much anticipation for two games. which one do you think is gong to sell more?
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

All Doom 3 and HL 2 discussions from now on, should be posted here.

bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Doom3 PC Gamer scans - I'm just the messenger, so if there's a problem posting this link, edit it out :-

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/%7Eblur/for ... eadid=2919

BTW, spoiler alert and large file warning !
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

EDIT: Double post - something going wierd with the forum - get some odd debug mode dialogue box ...
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

i got that when i posted something a while ago, the post still went through though.
simmy

Post by simmy »

off-topic:When you get the message dont post again! Just check first!
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

You tell um squirrel boy ! :)
Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a Doom 3 Launch Party happening anywhere in the vicinity of the Cape Town area. I got the PC Format yesterday and saw that there is one in Joburg but this does me no good. If anyone knows if anything is in the works for a midnight release on the 13 next month please let me know.

I am going to order my copy of the game from take2 in the meantime as soon as they have it ready to order because from previous experiences I have had with them and just from keeping track of when they release games for order they always seem to have a game on order a few days before it is set to be released in SA, and furthermore retailers I have found are unreliable when it comes to getting games on the shelf on the day that they are released. I remember reading a Farcry review on pc.ign.com and on that same day take2 had the game ready to order, I got it 3 working days later, hopefully the same will happen with Doom 3.

Cheers, hope you guys are as enthusiastic about this as I am.

1G0R.
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"
NealeDeadlyAlien

IGOR so you saying that when u order from Take2 you get it a few days earlier before its release date. Hmm if thats true then I think I am gonna order it from there.

I must say that when Doom III comes out, ID Software will be the Richest Gaming Company in the World. Thats cool especially when Quake 4 comes out next year.

There is one thing I will laugh so much at but also be pissed off at the same time, is that the day it is suppose to come out I will laugh if it gets Delayed again, it would actually be quite funny to see people's reactions.
halo

Post by halo »

here is some pleasing news from www.megagames.com :
Fans of Half-life 2 are quickly getting accustomed to the fact that Doom 3 will be released first and that H-L 2 is unlikely to see a summer release. It would seem that September 30 is again becoming the favorite release date for the highly anticipated title.
As Gabe Newell had already mentioned and now Doug Lombardi has confirmed, a solid release candidate is expected to be with Vivendi in August.

Now that Valve is getting a bit more confident on the progress of the game, its team has started playing hinting games with the press and we can now attempt guesses at when the RC version will reach Vivendi. Using Gabe Newell's latest comments then, a mid-to-late-August date sounds possible for the game going gold. Mr Newell said, right now we are looking at our bug numbers... Each day you fix some bugs and you find some new bugs. The net number tells you how quickly you will get to zero. At our current rate of find/fix bugs, we'll be down to zero bugs in 16 days...

If the numbers work out, then a summer release clearly is out of the question but suddenly a symbolic September 30 seems to be much more likely. Valve itself is clearly hoping for an early fall release and according to Doug Lombardi, we're hoping to see the product on store shelves this fall but we do not have a confirmed ship date at this time...
halo

Post by halo »

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE:

( again from www.megagames.com )
A long time before HardOCP went and released its report on Doom 3 performance, any gamer asked would have told you that nVidia boards will perform better, justifying the response by claiming that the deal between iD and the graphics giant guarantees superior performance on nVidia based systems.

Strangely enough the HardOCP article seems to ignore the special relationship and at times seems slightly taken-in by the results produced. Recommendations that ATI needs to implement changes to its product line based on the results of the Doom 3 tests may seem a bit drastic and may be the reason ATI has decided to respond to the results obtained on the HardOCP report.

In response to an enquiry by Team Radeon, ATIs Chris Hook has suggested that since the game has not been officially released yet, we shouldn't rush to any conclusions and quickly manages to get an innuendo in, regarding nVidia's use of partial precision. He goes on to add We expect to have updated drivers available in the coming weeks. Mr. Hook clearly expects the introduction of the new drivers to play an important part in performance upgrade, although he does not mention exactly how that improvement will come about.

Chris Hook goes on to suggest that ATIs performance, although below nVidia's, is not all that bad in the HardOCP report and that even iDs John Carmack said that there's more to consider than just frame rate... ATIs man goes on to mention, again, the use of partial precision by some of our competitors... and how ATI would never ever consider using PP.
Strangely enough Mr. Hook goes on to mention that most games will run faster on ATI cards, indirectly telling us that Doom 3 is not the only game out there (Half-Life 2 is not clearly mentioned). It does sound like ATI is telling us that the frame rates produced by the article may be improved upon slightly but that we shouldn't expect much more and that we should look forward to other titles if we wish to reaffirm our belief in ATI products.
again i say ATi the way its meant to be played
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

hey all here a web site to ease the pain when wondering what machine can play DOOM3 http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Macphisto
Permanently Banned

Post by Macphisto »

Hey guys,

I asked a while ago if anyone knew if Doom 3 is getting a midnight release in Cape Town? Does anyone know of a shop or a place that is having a midnight release? Thanks for the help!!!

Check out the Doom 3 hands-on at pc.ign.com

Cheers, 1G0R.
"He's got a big gold ring which says Jesus Saves
and it's dented from the punch thrown at work that day"
Demoraliser

Post by Demoraliser »

hey guys, i just read the HardOCP link, they are talking about 512mb gfx cards! Have anyone read up on upcoming cards like these?
Lee Mercer (Angel): This is getting ridiculous. The first assassin kills the second assassin sent to kill the first assassin, who didnt assassinate anyone until we hired the second assassin to assassinate her.
NealeDeadlyAlien

I have to say this today.

Doom 3 is finally out unfortunately only in America so i'm gonna try and phone incredible connections tomorrow and see if they will have it this weekend, since i don't believe its gonna take that long to get to SA on 13, we r not that slow.
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

I hope incredible connections have it this weekend because i am not going to wait until next week!!!. I also hope they will have the doom3 collectors edition in the shop some time.
Hope it runs on my pc....
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Don't tell Kronos but he is getting a belated pressie named eather HL2 or D3 for his b-day. His choice which one though. Won't say from where..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
simmy

Post by simmy »

Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

Wow Doom III definately desrves the title of "the way its meant to be played". Was just looking at some benchmark HERE, and even a FX5900 beats a way more powerful Ati Radeon 9800xt in terms of frames per second...

Check it out... 8)
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238