laptop xp installation problem. Previously had vista install

Any software related topics go in here.
chvw1987

laptop xp installation problem. Previously had vista install

Post by chvw1987 »

Hey. I wonder who of you can help me out of this one. This one would be a bit tough. As stated. My laptop had vista preinstalled on one 80gb partition and the other 80gb partition was free space. One 160gb sata hd in total. Now i wanted to install xp because of performance and software issues. So i put a xp pro cd in and tried to install it. At the first screen it stated to: SETUP XP NOW, PRESS ENTER (1) TO REPAIR A WINDOWS INSTALLATION USING RECOVERY CONSOLE, PRESS R (2) TO QUIT SETUP WITHOUT INSTALLING WINDOWS XP, PRESS F3 (3)........ Those were my options. So i pushed ENTER to setup xp. Now the following error message displays on the screen: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Then mindless information followed and then at the bottom it said: Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3. So can anyone help me to install xp pro on my laptop? Toshiba Satellite L40-17u. Model:psl48e

I've been googling for some time now and found out you need to push F6 before the windows setup then you can install the sata/raid drivers and then you can continue the installation. But can anybody help me get the driver so i can do the installation? If you go to http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/ ... service=EU that might help you help me. There you get all the drivers there except the sata drivers or i'm just looking past it. Please use the model number and help me :?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I really hate to break this to you, but it's very possible that no drivers exist for XP for your laptop. Unfortunately on the laptop side of things, Vista has pretty much taken over, so the laptop manufacturers aren't bothering to write drivers for XP any more.

That being said, do you know what type of SATA controller it is? If you do, you may be able to find the correct drivers elsewhere.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Futs

Post by Futs »

If it's an Intel chipset you might be lucky enough with the Intel Active Matrix driver.

Some laptops has the option to change from legacy to IDE in the BIOS, if you are able to do this then no SATA driver is required.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Futs wrote:Some laptops has the option to change from legacy to IDE in the BIOS, if you are able to do this then no SATA driver is required.
This would be my guess. Every laptop I have worked on recently to install XP (and there have been a good few, I might add!) has had to have this option changed in the bios. Unfortunately, it seems to be called various things in various bioses, so you really just need to find an option that has something to do with SATA and change it to IDE.
chvw1987

Post by chvw1987 »

I really don't have that option. If there were i would have found it by now(really not that difficult for me as nuub technician :?) . And i do have all the drivers for xp except the Sata driver. Can anyone go back to the first message i've sent and help me search there. All the information i used to get all the other drivers i have pasted in the first message. But can someone please search at the link i have given and tell me witch link i should use to download the sata driver(you don't have to download anything)? Luckily i have a serial for home premium. so i can reinstall vista if everythi\ng else fails.
rossi

Post by rossi »

Hi,
I don't know which driver it is but, i know how to get around don't find sata controller.
Download the right controller.
Take a working pc, put xp cd in, copy all the files from the cd to a map called xp on your desktop.
Download nlite, this is the utilitie to slipstream drivers our service packs in the windows installation disk, after you added the driver it will burn a iso file with xp and your sata driver in it.
I had the same problem with my laptop, i hope this helps u.
HuDiNi

Post by HuDiNi »

Ye unfortunately the Toshibas have no legacy support. You have to use nLite and integrate the drivers. Try these?
E6600 under Ultra 120 Extreme
Transcend aXeRAM 1066
ASUS Maximus Formula
ASUS 8800GTS G92
CM 690
2x500 GB WD
160 + 250 GB Seagate
Samsung 226BW
Razer Lachesis
chvw1987

Post by chvw1987 »

Wow thx alot guys :P . I have nlite allready so i hope it works. Will post here if i have any probs from there on out. Big thx guys :wink:
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

I hope you come right chvw1987.

This has proved the bane of many a tech the last year or so. Some laptops simply do not support XP.

The manufacturers are simply forcing Vista on the public with this policy. A case of shape up or ship out.
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services

PC: In need of an upgrade :)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

maestro_za wrote:The manufacturers are simply forcing Vista on the public with this policy. A case of shape up or ship out.
Which would be fine if they would ship Vista with laptops powerful enough to handle it. Unfortunately, some are just plain underpowered.
chvw1987

Post by chvw1987 »

schase wrote:Which would be fine if they would ship Vista with laptops powerful enough to handle it. Unfortunately, some are just plain underpowered.
maestro_za wrote:The manufacturers are simply forcing Vista on the public with this policy. A case of shape up or ship out.
You guys are both right. I wish they made all laptops with at least 1 or 2gb ram with at least 2.0ghz duo core cpu's vista. If the requirements are less, then xp should go on the laptop. My personal suggestion is that vista should be held back for about a year at least and let xp be manufactured for another year. Surely you guys have seen the advert at yahoo that stood for about a week or so: Windows xp taken of shelves from June 2008. That was a bummer to begin with :?

PS. Thx hudini for the driver. But it says:no available download servers.
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

schase wrote:
Which would be fine if they would ship Vista with laptops powerful enough to handle it. Unfortunately, some are just plain underpowered.
So true. Bluetooth, card-readers, etc but with 1GB of RAM. Load of bollocks!

Makes me want a Asus EeePC so badly :P
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services

PC: In need of an upgrade :)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

chvw1987 wrote:I wish they made all laptops with at least 1 or 2gb ram
I personally reckon all Vista notebooks (and PCs) should come standard with 2GB RAM, upgradeable to 4GB. (In other words, for notebooks, 1 x 2GB stick with one slot open.) But that's just me.
chvw1987

Post by chvw1987 »

No that not just you. One of my pals has the same pc i'm strugling with but with 2gb ram. It works much much smoother. Yeah 2gb upgradeable to 4gb wil do the trick. I did not get my laptop working but now i know how to use nlite. Man its a very good program to use for technicians and techies alike :D . Can combine lots of drivers with it and utilities. One prob though. I still can't find the sata raid drivers for my latop. Googled last night til \l who nows when for that also. The best place i could find was intel.com. They have a fair amount of drivers and utilities. Can anyone help me find out which chipset i'm running? toshiba satellite l40-17u Model:psl48e. Can't find it at Toshiba. They say i can get the right sata/raid drivers by searching via chipset model and cpu. Intel Dual core.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

You tried running cpu-z, see what mobo you got?
jee

Post by jee »

A slight highjack here, please excuse - i'm in the process of buying a laptop for my daughter - looked at an HP with one gig mem and vista - it seems that i cannot downgrade - ask for more memory? or search for another laptop?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

More memory imho. What CPU does it have?
jee

Post by jee »

Core 2 Duo, 1,6 GIG
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Can't give a specific model? Like T2xxx, or T5xxx, or T7xxx?
jee

Post by jee »

nope, sorry - thats all i have :(
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Well, my opinion stands. But I suspect most would tell you to look elsewhere.
Dr_Y

Post by Dr_Y »

I've already got an HP notebook that came with Vista Business. I hate Vista, so all I did was choose the "make backup disc option that comes with the HP notebooks, and formatted the hard disk and installed XP. Easy. Note that you need to download the XP drivers from HP's website, so either do that before formatting, or use another PC. Also, HP notebooks don't come with installation discs, so the backup option is important, if you ever want to go 'back' to Vista. Can't imagine why you'd want to do that:) The HP's also come with a factory determined system partition that you can save all the other installation files eg drivers to in zip format. That's what I did anyway. Just in case.
MrAnarchy

Post by MrAnarchy »

rossi wrote:Hi,
I don't know which driver it is but, i know how to get around don't find sata controller.
Download the right controller.
Take a working pc, put xp cd in, copy all the files from the cd to a map called xp on your desktop.
Download nlite, this is the utilitie to slipstream drivers our service packs in the windows installation disk, after you added the driver it will burn a iso file with xp and your sata driver in it.
I had the same problem with my laptop, i hope this helps u.
I did exactly this on my VAIO and it works. You just need to find sata drivers for your chipset. Find out what chipset and u can find the driver and just incorporate with nlite.

Good luck
chvw1987

Post by chvw1987 »

Thx. So all i have to do is find the mbo model number and get the chipset from there right? After that i can get the sata driver and then use nlite. Man that a process and a half which i have done about 5 or 6 times with 4 different sata drivers which i have tested(lucklily i have a re-writable disk L0L). You guys sure i don't need to press F6 at windows installation to install sata/raid drivers via floppy? If the modified XP cd(with raid driver on) does that by itself while setup is starting then i must have had the wrong sata drivers installed on the xp cd. Well i wont stop till i solved the problem. Will send the chipset soon. I myself will also search for the sata drivers. WIll keep you guys updated.

PS.
schase wrote:More memory imho. What CPU does it have?
Yeah same here. A pc with a 1.6 core 2 duo cpu and 1gb ram and one with 2gb ram has a huge diffirence in performance. Plus it will cost ya less than buying a new notebook :?. Just make sure the RAM type. I think ddr2 at least. dunno the spead tho.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Dr_Y wrote:I've already got an HP notebook that came with Vista Business. I hate Vista, so all I did was choose the "make backup disc option that comes with the HP notebooks, and formatted the hard disk and installed XP. Easy. Note that you need to download the XP drivers from HP's website, so either do that before formatting, or use another PC. Also, HP notebooks don't come with installation discs, so the backup option is important, if you ever want to go 'back' to Vista. Can't imagine why you'd want to do that:) The HP's also come with a factory determined system partition that you can save all the other installation files eg drivers to in zip format. That's what I did anyway. Just in case.
I think Ms. jee's point is that she doesn't have a spare XP license lying around twiddling its thumbs, so whatever license comes with the notebook is what gets installed.