Blue Screen Of Death/Data Recovery

Any software related topics go in here.
jcd

Blue Screen Of Death/Data Recovery

Post by jcd »

I am in urgent need of help.

My dad installed SP3 for Windows XP and I am guessing something went wrong. I now have a blue screen flash of then it just restarts. when using safe mode it just restarts (before giving me the login screen). Normally I would just format my windows partition and reinstall but dad saved his work on the desktop :( . The work is so important he is willing to send the HDD for data recovery before doing it over. I booted up from a old hard drive and installed my drivers so I could try to get his work to safety, but when trying to access C:\Documents and Settings\username it gives me a [access denied] msg. I tried doing this logged in as administrator.

Is there anyway I can get that data off the desktop on HDD 1 and onto HDD 2? Or even if I am lucky to get that windows on HDD1 working again without a format? Please help.

If you need any extra information just ask.
Intel Core2Duo E8200
Chaintech Nvidia 9600GT
2x 1024mb DDR2-800 Trancsend Ram
Biostar P35D2-A7 MOBO
120GB & 250GB SATA2 HDD
CoolerMaster Elite 333 case.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Re: Blue Screen Of Death/Data Recovery

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

jcd wrote:I am in urgent need of help.

My dad installed SP3 for Windows XP and I am guessing something went wrong. I now have a blue screen flash of then it just restarts. when using safe mode it just restarts (before giving me the login screen). Normally I would just format my windows partition and reinstall but dad saved his work on the desktop :( . The work is so important he is willing to send the HDD for data recovery before doing it over. I booted up from a old hard drive and installed my drivers so I could try to get his work to safety, but when trying to access C:\Documents and Settings\username it gives me a [access denied] msg. I tried doing this logged in as administrator.

Is there anyway I can get that data off the desktop on HDD 1 and onto HDD 2? Or even if I am lucky to get that windows on HDD1 working again without a format? Please help.

If you need any extra information just ask.
do you know how to change permissions on folders? ie change ownership?
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

create a boot cd (using barts PE or something similar). That should allow you to access all the folders etc.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
jcd

Post by jcd »

nope. but shouldnt I be logged in as administrator on HDD 1 to do that?
Intel Core2Duo E8200
Chaintech Nvidia 9600GT
Biostar P35D2-A7 MOBO
120GB & 250GB SATA2 HDD
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Just take ownership of the folder like jcd said:

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

You should be able to access the folder and sub folders fine after that
xumwun

Post by xumwun »

too slow :oops:
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

Sounds like the XP is Home Edition. I usually use GetDataBack-NTFS ... google it. It has worked 95% of the time for me.

Take the drive out, and either put it in an external chassis with usb or
put in another tower, make it a slave ... run the prog and let it read the drive (which it does 95% of the time) ... it will then back up the drive.

Make sure you have a large capacity destination drive, as it creates an image of the entire drive/partition. Is the C: drive a partition or is the whole drive the Windows install?

Data recovery service is the last resort, as its quite expensive. If the above doesn't work then go that route.

Maybe other forum users can help you out but a data recovery package is the first port of call if drive ownership doesn't work.
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services

PC: In need of an upgrade :)
jcd

Post by jcd »

ok, I can get into that user's files, but now I get a access denied error when trying to access the desktop folder, and when I try to take ownership of that file I get another access denied msg
Intel Core2Duo E8200
Chaintech Nvidia 9600GT
Biostar P35D2-A7 MOBO
120GB & 250GB SATA2 HDD
jcd

Post by jcd »

I used GetDataBack like Maestro_za suggested. Because I only downloaded the trial, I couldnt copy anything over, but I was able to open the documents my dad needed and then save then on another HDD. so now I can reformat and reinstall windows without having to cause my dad to work hours through the night again.

Thanx guys. appreciate the help
Intel Core2Duo E8200
Chaintech Nvidia 9600GT
Biostar P35D2-A7 MOBO
120GB & 250GB SATA2 HDD
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

Cool :D
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services