Your Music Player Of Choice

Any software related topics go in here.
Anthropoid21

Post by Anthropoid21 »

Media Monkey, Winamp, MP10 I cycle through them all.. DivX player, Realplayer etc etc
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

@papercut... Umm, is your DFX registed so you can fully customize it? If not then try get it registed and then try adjust it to how you like it.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

WMP10 and BSplayer
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

jamin_za wrote:Winamp for audio
Media Player Classic for video
Same here.

The new Winamp rocks, especially with the new Bento skin that finally adds support for embedded album art and the new notifier means I don't have to use the toaster plugin anymore! :biggrin:

Some screenies:

However it seems that the new Winamp is now very similar to Musicmatch Jukebox, I don't know if anyone's ever used that? But so far I'm enjoying the refined interface! :)
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I'm sorry guys, i'm with Ryan. I have an iPod too and there's no other MP3 player i'd rather have.
My sister has an iPod and I think they come with the worst headphones ever. I prefer headphones akin to the ones that came with my Sony Ericsson:

They give amazing sound quality with excellent bass and they fit perfectly in your ears. I don't mind the iPod but they should come with better stock headphones.
PsyCLown wrote:Windows Media Player 10(with DFX...I have to use DFX, makes it sound SOO MUCH BETTER) for normal formts and Quicktime Alternative for thoes cell phone and other formats!
I use DFX too, but only when listening to low quality/ poorly encoded songs to remove that muffled sound that's often inherent in some audio encodes. However it serves little purpose having it enabled if the audio source is of high quality or has been encoded at a decent bitrate. As for registering DFX it only adds the Surround Sound option which I too have toyed with and it can either enhance the audio amicably or add undesirable reverberation.
Pino wrote:Plus i use AceMegaCodecs that adds a shoit load of codecs
A lot of codecs that are superfluous! :roll: The last time ACE Mega CodecS Pack was updated was in Dec 2004, all those codecs will be outdated by now. Rather use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

As for ripping? EAC+LAME FTW!!! :mrgreen:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Xiphan, you DO know that this thread is over 2 years old... right?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Since its necro'ed...winamp. The new bento skins sucks.
Winamp 2.xx was the best imo.

Media player for vids...vlc if all else fails.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
naughty

Post by naughty »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Xiphan, you DO know that this thread is over 2 years old... right?
i dont see why it shouldnt be resurrected - since as soon as someone starts a new thread like this everyone else will be all like "hey ....... use the search function" :? :? :? - so keep the one old thread going - its still relevant
i agree wholeheartedly - it still sounds better than any other player out there especially if you dont adjust the EQ and if you have decent speakers - you can make out the difference
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
tjecco

Post by tjecco »

winamp 5.5 with the classic skin. (less resources)

Media Player Classic for all vids. (included in the KLC Codec. It plays everything including this weird format mkv.)
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

iPod sucks. :P

"Just for Dae and ryan"
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

HAR!!! I remember this thread!!! ...kinda....

I use:
Windows Media Player 11 for music
GOM Player for normal video files
Media Player Classic for MKV/OGM files

:twisted: :twisted: 8) 8)
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Windows Media Player 11 for music and videos.

VLC for videos WMP can't play.

Compro DVD 2 for DVDs
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
PypLaCe

Post by PypLaCe »

Winamp 5.531 for music (bento skin sucks).
Windows media player 11 for music vids and movies.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Xiphan, you DO know that this thread is over 2 years old... right?
:oops: Well I never used the search function for this thread I just came in here the other day and this thread was one of the last active topics on the left side pane? I don't know how that works but it's the reason why I never paid much heed to the time stamps of people's posts. But that can explain why people were still commenting on Ace Mega CodecS! :P

Otherwise what are you guys using that you're complaing about the resources that Winamp uses? It takes slightly longer to start up but the skins and features it has looks and sounds better than anything winamp 2.xx has to offer, some of which are especially nifty if you have a permanent internet connection.
naughty wrote:
i agree wholeheartedly - it still sounds better than any other player out there especially if you dont adjust the EQ and if you have decent speakers - you can make out the difference
If you're really concerned about Winamp's standard MP3 decoder being sub par then consider giving MAD MP3 plugin a try.
tjecco wrote:Media Player Classic for all vids. (included in the KLC Codec. It plays everything including this weird format mkv.)
There's nothing weird about the Matroska format, it's just another media container format similar to AVI, however it sports more features and added benefits over AVI with the aim of being a better and free open source format. In my own opinion I think it handles HD content far better than AVI does, plus it allows for embedded subtitle files which can be turned on and off, instead of having them "burnt" into the video.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Xiphan wrote:
tjecco wrote:Media Player Classic for all vids. (included in the KLC Codec. It plays everything including this weird format mkv.)
There's nothing weird about the Matroska format, it's just another media container format similar to AVI, however it sports more features and added benefits over AVI with the aim of being a better and free open source format. In my own opinion I think it handles HD content far better than AVI does, plus it allows for embedded subtitle files which can be turned on and off, instead of having them "burnt" into the video.
I agree there, Matroska rocks!!!
I prefer MKV over AVI.
MKV's are also easier to work with esp if you need to change something, like the audio stream is faulty and you have a fix.etc

Also having built in subtitles makes it very nice and the best part is that if you like your subtitles to look all nice and fancy you can easily and quickly change that yourself.etc

Spoiler (show)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Well, i now use Rhythmbox for my music, and my video is handled by Totem :D

(linux apps)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Amarok for music
VLC for video's
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

VLC for video and iTunes or WMP for audio, depending on the type of audio being played...
neosephiroth
Permanently Banned

Post by neosephiroth »

jet audio for me combined with klite
Xiphan

Re: Your Music Player Of Choice

Post by Xiphan »

I just had to res this thread because of this amazing find!

I've officially ditched Winamp in favour of something much, much better. What I've discovered is a truly lightweight (and amazing) player that has far more features (well at least features that I need more) than Winamp.

It's called AIMP and I think it rocks! :mrgreen:

Check out the following screenies:

or in blue if you prefer:
The default skins can be changed to any colour of the colour spectrum! :)

It has a remote that sits neatly in the corner when the player is minimised:

...you'll see this when you hover the mouse over the remote:

...and this when you hover the mouse over the tray icon:

Best of all is its native support for cue sheets which was my biggest bane with Winamp, so I switched over to AIMP which supports cue sheets almost flawlessly and is less than 4megs in file size and sports the following features as well:
  • Wide range of audio formats supported (including FLAC, MP3, MP2, MP1, WAV, Vorbis, AAC, WMA, AC3, CDA, Speex, MTM, MOD, XM, IT, UMX, AIF, S3M, MO3 and others)
  • Crystal-clear sound, technology of reproduction essentially differs from Winamp and WMP
  • Listening and one-click capturing of streaming content
  • 18-band equalization
  • Various built-in sound effects and adjustments (reverb, flanger, chorus, echo, pitch, tempo, speed)
  • AutoShutdown manager, which allows users to shut down the system, close the player, or start playback at a given time
  • Skinnable interface
  • Tabbed playlist management
  • Bookmarks and queues
  • Customizable global and local hotkeys
  • Full Unicode support
  • Dynamic search of opened playlists
  • A set of separate utilities which are nonetheless well-integrated with the main application:
    • Audio Converter / CD Grabber, which can convert all supported audio files (including audio CDs) into WAV, MP3, WMA or Vorbis formats
    • Sound Recorder, which allows capturing audio from microphone or other inputs and writing it into same formats;
    • A versatile Tag Editor, which supports ID3v1, ID3v2, Vorbis, and WMA tags;
    • Audio Library, which, unlike most implementations, is also separate from the main program.
Anyway download it here or here and decide for yourself! ;)
Waba

Re: Your Music Player Of Choice

Post by Waba »

Media monkey for mp3 nd Gom player for vidz.