remote accessing my pc through adsl router

Network problem solving and tweaks
thealluseless

remote accessing my pc through adsl router

Post by thealluseless »

just like the topic says,

how would i remote access my machine through my standard telkom adsl router/modem
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Setup a Dyndns/Changeip account, set updater program up on PC.
????
Profit!!!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Nuke wrote:Setup a Dyndns/Changeip account, set updater program up on PC.
Some D-Link routers take care of the IP changes and consequent hostname updates for you if you plan to take the DynDNS route. If you have one, it's worth seeing if it has this feature.

EDIT: Should really read the "Telkom router" bit in the original post. :oops:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
ViReZ

Post by ViReZ »

As handy as Remote Desktop is, it can sometimes be problematic.
Probably the most common Remote Desktop problem is that Remote Desktop has trouble locating the remote PC. There are a number of things that can cause this problem. Probably the simplest cause is misspelling the name of the remote computer. Therefore, if you're having trouble connecting to remote computer, just take a second and make sure that you've spelled the remote machine's name correctly.

If the remote computer's name is spelled correctly, the problem may be DNS related. Remote Desktop uses the RDP protocol, which piggybacks on top of the TCP/IP protocol. As you probably know, TCP/IP does not use computer names as a mechanism for identifying the systems. The only reason that it is possible to specify a computer name is because a DNS server resolves the computer name to an IP address.

If you find yourself having name resolution problems, there are a couple of different things that you can try. One option is to try using the remote system's fully qualified domain name as opposed to its NetBIOS name. This won't always help you to establish a connection, but in certain situations it will help.

Another option is to specify the remote machine’s IP address rather than its name. Generally speaking, using an IP address tends to be much less problematic than using a host name when connecting. Even IP addresses can be problematic, though.

The biggest factor that tends to make connecting with IP addresses problematic is the use of dynamic IP addresses. If you are using Remote Desktop to connect to a server, this probably won't be an issue, because most servers use static IP addresses. Workstations, on the other hand, almost always use dynamic IP addresses. Therefore, the IP address that your workstation is using today will probably be assigned to a different workstation tomorrow. If the machine that you are connecting to does use dynamic IP addresses, then you will practically have no choice but to specify a host name when connecting rather than specifying the machine's IP address.

Another factor that can make it difficult to connect to a host machine using remote desktop is firewalls. The Remote Desktop Protocol is designed to work across TCP port 3389. If you are attempting to connect to a remote machine that sits behind a firewall, then the firewall must allow traffic to flow through TCP port 3389. Of course blindly opening this port on your firewall can pose a huge security risk. You might choose instead to enable port forwarding so that inbound RDP traffic is forwarded to a specific IP address, rather than someone on the outside being able to attempt an RDP connection to any machine on your network.

On many networks, you won't have a choice but to use port forwarding for RDP traffic. The majority of networks use private IP addresses on their networks, and only the router uses a public IP address. The router uses Network Address Translation (NAT) to proxy traffic between the Internet and hosts on the private network. If you are trying to establish an RDP connection from across the Internet with a host that sits behind a NAT firewall, then you will have to configure the firewall to forward RDP traffic to the target host.

Of course this assumes that you are attempting to establish a connection directly from outside the perimeter network. If you are connecting to the private network using a VPN or a dial up connection, then you will have to worry about reconfiguring a NAT firewall, because your VPN or dial-up connection provides you with a connection to the private network. The remote access server that is used for establishing VPN or dial-up connections almost always sits behind a firewall, and you'll have to insure that this firewall allows RDP traffic to flow to the private network.

While I am on the subject of firewalls, I want to point out that Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista both contain a built-in firewall. If you are attempting to establish a connection to a machine running one of these operating systems, you'll have to insure that the Windows firewall is configured to allow RDP traffic.

Authentication Problems
Establishing the initial connection is by far the most problematic aspect of Remote Desktop, but there are other problems that you may encounter. Many users are surprised to see that they can attach to a remote PC, and enter their credentials, but are stopped by the following error message:

The local policy of the system does not permit you to log on interactively.

Windows displays this error message if the user who's logging lacks the necessary permissions to log in using the Remote Desktop Protocol. You can correct the problem by adding the user account to the Remote Desktop Users group or to the local Administrators group.

Data Encryption
One of the most cryptic problems with Remote Desktop involves receiving the following error message:

Because of an error in data encryption, this session will end. Please try connecting to the remote computer again.

This error message is almost always related to using an outdated remote desktop (or terminal service) client. When Microsoft released Windows 2000, they created an add-on called the Administration Tool Pack. The Administration Tool Pack included a client component that could be used to establish a remote session. Although this client initially appears to be compatible with Windows XP, it isn’t. Using the Windows 2000 version of the Administration Tool Pack to establish a Remote Desktop session with Windows XP will usually trigger the error message that I mentioned above.

Windows XP comes with its own Remote Desktop client that you can use to establish a connection with other machines that are running Windows XP. If you prefer using the Administration Tool Pack though, then you can always upgrade to the Windows Server 2003 version, which you can download at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304718

This is XP's Remote Desktop i have disscused here, and some third party sofware problems...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

wow Virez nice post :)

Please visit here and introduce yourself and dont forget to read the rules :wink:. Enjoy your stay on PCF :)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

@ViReZ: it is common practice to include the source of all that quoted blather... :wink:

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com. ... leshooting....

@thealluseless: you will require a static ip, (dyndns), and ensure your firewall, if any, isn't blocking the necessary protocol packets, (you will need to provide an exclusion for port 3389 - both TCP and UDP) you may need to forward this port on the router as well...

i would, however, advise that you rather use the VPN approach, as the RDP ports and protocol are a common attack vector and you WILL be jacked if you simply crank it open... VPN is far more secure :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

tks for the help guys,

i managed to rather clumsily get it sorted, but am working ways to get it a little better, decided to use a vpn connection! all is well for now
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

Can someone please give me the instructions to set up port forwarding on my Marconi router. I'm getting confuddled here. I got the dyndns account already
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Mmm.. marconi router, does it have a built in firewall?
DJT

Post by DJT »

Yip, and it is off 8O

Only just realised, But anyways. It is the standard Wifi router that comes with Telkom
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - Facebook
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

I usually setup a stand alone pc, install IPCop and do port forwarding through that.
DJT

Post by DJT »

Where on this page do i find this?
Clarke Media - Facebook
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Virtual Server.
DJT

Post by DJT »

Please tell me what to put in where

The pc i want to connect to is 10.0.0.13
Clarke Media - Facebook
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

public port S - 3389
public port E - 3389
private port 3389
port type - TCP
Host IP - 10.0.0.13

Set public port S+E to something weird like 4423 or the like to make RDP attacks harder.
DJT

Post by DJT »

Thanks Nuke. Much appreciated. Do i have to do the same for UDP?
Clarke Media - Facebook
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Nope RDP only uses TCP as a transport protocol. If you had a DNS server running internally on your network you would have forwarded both TCP + UDP on port 53 because it can use both.

In short TCP = Connection orientated, bigger headers, error + sequance checking, higher latency
UDP = Connectionless, smaller headers, no sequance checking, lower latency

(By error checking I mean error in stream, both packet types have Checksums on the packets itself)
DJT

Post by DJT »

I got the modem set up, but can't connect to PC. Apart from just enabling Remote access in System, is there anything else you have to do to set it up on the PC?
Clarke Media - Facebook
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

I don't think you can do it through the same router as you are going out through. Try setting a PPPoE on another PC and set the marconi to halfbridge mode.
Charger14

Post by Charger14 »

Why not just use Logmein? Install the client and done.

http://www.logmein.com
Is this thing on?Helloooo?
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Because if you walk into DiData or BCX telling them you network with Hamachi they are going to laugh at you :P
Ryan_Cooper

Re: remote accessing my pc through adsl router

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

how do i setup a Telkom router from a remote location.
I need to setup a clients router and I'm in Cape Town and the in George and East London
THE GAME........YOU Have JUST LOst It !!!!!!!!!!