Does review/rating affect your decision to buy Games

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
larch

Post by larch »

Personally I don't hate GTA4 I think it a brilliant game (not my type of game though) I have played it for a day or two while baby sitting. My point is just that a full mark/score means perfection and no game has achieved that in my opinion.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

zerubabel wrote:You're a self-proclaimed GTA-hater, thus immediately showing your great bias against this game.
first off.. i'm fresh out of cheese, so i have nothing to offer as a compliment to the whine..

secondly, i have not attempted to troll here - i asked a perfectly civil question - what examples of 'light years ahead content' are there that you can offer up to back up this thoroughly skewed rating you insist on giving what is an average, run-of-the-mill game... ? not once did i say i 'hate' the game.. i just don't support the notion that it's all that great...

finally, and this is purely personal observation, if you consider civil discussion 'trollish' then i have my doubts about your future in interfacing with the other half of society.. you know - the female side :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

I don't let reviews affect me. If something interests me, I'll buy it. If I'm not sure, I will search for a demo and try it first.

@Rusty and zerubabel: OMW... It's like watching (reading) a fight between two preschool girls.

Cmon guys. If you have problems with each others posts, take it up via PM. You're just ruining it for everyone.
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Larch: I don't think anything in this world is perfect, unless we're talking mathematics...

IGN themselves said its not a perfect game, but with all it accomplished it deserves a 10.
I'm one to give 10's to games, animes, movies etc that really make an impact on me, and are worth spending precious hours of my life on.

If you're looking only for the "perfect game" then sure, no game deserves a perfect score, nor will there ever be one that does!
But by IGN's scoring criteria, like sound, replayability, etc etc... it deserves 10's on all those scores, bringing it to an overall 10. Sounds fair, no?

To quote a funny japanese guy who counted to 100: "Ten ten ten ten ten ten ten ten ten ten" :!:
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Rustypup: No problems there.. none at all. Thanks for your concern though. :wink:

Fine its not lightyears ahead.. I actually meant to remove that from the post, but forgot it in one place...
It is "years" ahead of most games though. Look at GTA3... how many games managed to copy that sandbox crime sim formula successfully? Lets see, there is that one game I can't even remember the name of.. And it fails.

Do you think we'll see anything as detailed as GTA4 any time soon?
While funny reactions from pedestrians might not impress you, I have yet to see such variety in interaction with NPC's in a game. Even RPG's are still very limited.
That question was indeed civil, but in general you have trolled against this game, and do not care to take into account why it might deserve a 10.

Darkranger: Omg wtf stfu noob :!:
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
larch

Post by larch »

If I could run over people using links horse and shoot hookers with my bow and arrow then I would have gotten it in a instant. Not really as that type of game does jut not appeal to me.

I work in Johannesburg so I see and experience enough of that :P No need to play it to.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

larch wrote:I work in Johannesburg so I see and experience enough of that
:lol: larch, +500 fatuous forum points for the funniest post in this thread...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

zerubabel wrote:What have you accomplished in life kiddo?
Anyways, I won't continue this and insult you back... But I tire easily of high and mighty, uber forum intellectuals, who haven't accomplished much irl.
Firstly you don't know me from a bar of soap and yet you see fit to judge me straight out the bat, your foresight not so great there is it?

Secondly I am more likely older than you and have accomplished much in my life and plan to do a lot more. I am not your "kiddo"

Thirdly I made a straight out observation of your post, you portrayed yourself in such a manner that everyone here is probably thinking "what an idiot" I just to happen to say it out (or post it) out loud. So please don't come and blame me for your failure to have the foresight of a 10 year old.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

zerubabel wrote:Darkranger: Omg wtf stfu noob :!:
whatever :roll: :roll: :roll:
larch

Post by larch »

rustypup wrote:
larch wrote:I work in Johannesburg so I see and experience enough of that
:lol: larch, +500 fatuous forum points for the funniest post in this thread...
Welcome to 'PCF Forums' the forum where everything's made up and the points don't matter. That's right the points are just like underwear to Sharon Stone.
capanno

Post by capanno »

larch wrote:Must be a low 5! since I am seeing a lot of ball touching going on :P So excuse me if I don't join you. Actually my blog does better since I moved it from the abortion that is known as blogspot. I average 500 unique hits a day, and the 3 months I have been blogging on wordpress I have had 15000 visitors to my site with them spending a average of between 10 to 20 minutes on my blog per day.

My comment to post ratio is 7/10 which isn't to bad for a beginner blogger like myself.

http://larcho.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/thank-you/

That was 15 days ago, so by the end of the month my traffic would have doubled since. Not bad for someone who actually keeps his blog updated. I am also a regular blog contributer for: http://www.shotgunreviews.com/ But in the end it doesn't really matter to me if people comment on my posts or not if only 1 person reads it and enjoys it then I am happy.

I have to apologies to the other forum members for swinging around my e-penor but I felt left out with the ball touching going on. :D
I dont know how that is relevant in any way, but

My apologies. I can only bask in your awesomeness...
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Don't let the haters get you down, Larch.
larch

Post by larch »

capanno wrote:
larch wrote:Must be a low 5! since I am seeing a lot of ball touching going on :P So excuse me if I don't join you. Actually my blog does better since I moved it from the abortion that is known as blogspot. I average 500 unique hits a day, and the 3 months I have been blogging on wordpress I have had 15000 visitors to my site with them spending a average of between 10 to 20 minutes on my blog per day.

My comment to post ratio is 7/10 which isn't to bad for a beginner blogger like myself.

http://larcho.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/thank-you/

That was 15 days ago, so by the end of the month my traffic would have doubled since. Not bad for someone who actually keeps his blog updated. I am also a regular blog contributer for: http://www.shotgunreviews.com/ But in the end it doesn't really matter to me if people comment on my posts or not if only 1 person reads it and enjoys it then I am happy.

I have to apologies to the other forum members for swinging around my e-penor but I felt left out with the ball touching going on. :D
I dont know how that is relevant in any way, but

My apologies. I can only bask in your awesomeness...
Thank you good sir :D
larch

Post by larch »

jamin_za wrote:Don't let the haters get you down, Larch.
No I wont I have this to use when I have to defend myself:

capanno

Post by capanno »

:lol:

(edit)

OT, jamin, that email with the song graphs that you sent out was one of the funniest things ive ever seen. I LOLED really hard!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

:lol:

I sent out 2, IIRC.

I have another 2 sitting here - should I pass them on aswell?
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Skidd wrote:
zerubabel wrote:What have you accomplished in life kiddo?
Anyways, I won't continue this and insult you back... But I tire easily of high and mighty, uber forum intellectuals, who haven't accomplished much irl.
Firstly you don't know me from a bar of soap and yet you see fit to judge me straight out the bat, your foresight not so great there is it?

Secondly I am more likely older than you and have accomplished much in my life and plan to do a lot more. I am not your "kiddo"

Thirdly I made a straight out observation of your post, you portrayed yourself in such a manner that everyone here is probably thinking "what an idiot" I just to happen to say it out (or post it) out loud. So please don't come and blame me for your failure to have the foresight of a 10 year old.
Waaa waaa waaa! Will someone please call the waambulance?
Your post was nothing more than a silly flame.. I bet you thought you were really funny when you said I'm the usual console owner. HA HA. Yeah.

Lets see, you're not my "kiddo". Why do you take such offence at that?
It seems to really grind your balls when I call you kiddo. Is that because your manager at KFC in Umbilo always calls you that when you dropped a burger on the floor? Well don't let me bring you down kiddo. This is just a forum. ;)
But wait, you've achieved over 1162 posts.. and probably plan on getting to 1337 some time in the future :!:
Gl with that kiddo! :D

@ Darkranger: It was a joke, mmkay?
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
capanno

Post by capanno »

jamin_za wrote::lol:

I sent out 2, IIRC.

I have another 2 sitting here - should I pass them on aswell?
Yup I got both.

Most definitely! Let them sail away!
beerman

Post by beerman »

Popcorn ... check
Comfy seat ... check
Foam finger ... check
Beer ... check

Load of infantile arguments to enjoy ... check

Can we get back on topic please!?!?!?

Larch .. to answer your initial question, game reviews do tend to sway me to a certain degree. For instance, Kane and Lynch .. I thought it was going be awesome, but the reviews (I checked many) gave it poor ratings and subsequently I skipped it. Subsequent discussion on forums by fellow gamers confirmed that the game was not that great.

Then, for Super Mario Galaxy ... I would have never bought it but the fact that NAG gave it 100/100 caught my eye and I started investigating and it was backed up my loads of great reviews. Bought the game and loved every second of it. So yes, I do think reviews (from trusted sources) influence my decision to buy a game ... BUT it's only an influence and not a deciding factor. The decision to purchase or not should still be based on one's own views of the product.
My 2c ...
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

beerman wrote:Popcorn ... check
Comfy seat ... check
Foam finger ... check
Beer ... check
Foam finger.. :lol:

Well I posted my opinion in the very beginning, so I'm outta this thread, unless Kaptein Kiddo summons me. :)
Returning on Topic in 500m.. :arrow:
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

zerubabel wrote: Waaa waaa waaa! Will someone please call the waambulance?
Your post was nothing more than a silly flame.. I bet you thought you were really funny when you said I'm the usual console owner. HA HA. Yeah.

It seems to really grind your balls when I call you kiddo. Is that because your manager at KFC in Umbilo always calls you that when you dropped a burger on the floor? Well don't let me bring you down kiddo. This is just a forum. ;)
But wait, you've achieved over 1162 posts.. and probably plan on getting to 1337 some time in the future :!:
What the hell are you going on about? All I heard out of that lot was "bla bla bla Im a big fat idiot" Gees.... :?
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Skidd wrote:
zerubabel wrote: Waaa waaa waaa! Will someone please call the waambulance?

What the hell are you going on about? All I heard out of that lot was "bla bla bla Im a big fat idiot" Gees.... :?
Funny that you feel so compelled to reply to such "an idiot". ;)
Normally people tend to ignore idiots, so you probably regard me as a super intelligent king :!: Don't be jealous..

Anyhow:

don't use images with rude words in them
- jamin
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

:roll:
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

zerubabel, stop this ****.