Question for June Mag

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Question for June Mag

Post by KillerByte »

Is the PC gaming industry in danger of being eclipsed by consoles?
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
HuDiNi

Post by HuDiNi »

Oh hell no. MMO's(WOW) will keep the PC going through any console war.
E6600 under Ultra 120 Extreme
Transcend aXeRAM 1066
ASUS Maximus Formula
ASUS 8800GTS G92
CM 690
2x500 GB WD
160 + 250 GB Seagate
Samsung 226BW
Razer Lachesis
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Nope, there are too many people who are too interested in computing technology and gaming for PC's to be eclipsed by consoles, especially considering the limited scope of consoles. They just simply cannot do what a PC can do, and therefore, whilst being a lot of fun, cannot compete with a PC.
to ápeiro anima
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

PC game sales make up only about 14% of the total game sales market worldwide, so this is a bit of a nothing question. How do consoles "eclipse" a platform that has never had real market dominance?

The fact that a multi-purpose tool like a PC competes with dedicated gaming platforms at all speaks volumes for the fact that PC's will always be one of the premier gaming platforms.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Definitely.

I've been a PC gamer for longer than i remember, and i LOVE PC gaming, but it's gotten to a point where when you buy the game for R300, you also need to buy an upgrade for R6000.

It's getting absolutely ridiculous. The requirements of today's games are insane and nobody that has an average income can keep up anymore.

A console is a once-off purchase that guarantees perfect play until the next console comes out. What's more, many MANY games are originally developed for consoles and then ported to PC anyway, so often enough you see that the controls suit a console far better (assasins creed, anyone?)

I've pretty much dropped PC gaming all together since i bought my first 360.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Definitely.

I've been a PC gamer for longer than i remember, and i LOVE PC gaming, but it's gotten to a point where when you buy the game for R300, you also need to buy an upgrade for R6000.

It's getting absolutely ridiculous. The requirements of today's games are insane and nobody that has an average income can keep up anymore.

A console is a once-off purchase that guarantees perfect play until the next console comes out. What's more, many MANY games are originally developed for consoles and then ported to PC anyway, so often enough you see that the controls suit a console far better (assasins creed, anyone?)

I've pretty much dropped PC gaming all together since i bought my first 360.
I mostly agree with Dae, but PC gaming will always be around. The catch is that many developers such as EA, Ubisoft, Epic and even id Software are switching their primary focus to consoles - the majority of PC games are already ports of the console versions. The exception being RTS and MMORPG games.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
qace

Post by qace »

Yes PC gaming industry in danger , just look at most of the new game releases. They are designed mainly for consoles while only a few are ported to pc.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i would concur...

they will play to the market, and when the market is stuffed to overflowing with mindless gits who happily fork out double the price of a pc game in exchange for half the mobility, playability, control and visual quality... then you're essentially printing money, not ISOs....

that being said, the PC market will continue to drive innovation and technology.. consoles are, by their very nature, dumbed down PCs... when you're selling to the lowest common denominator, it pays to keep things simple...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Kodama

Post by Kodama »

Sadly yes. I havent seen any (good) new games on the shelves since Orange box.