I want this bike!!

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Friggs, that KTM is a friggen beast!

I'd suggest a SXV4.5 or SXV5.5 from Aprilia (per sig), or the 450/510/610 from Hasqvarna if you're going the Motard route

//Wants SXV :(
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

SykomantiS wrote:Hey, I started on a GSX-R750... Guess you think that's too big too...

Just got myself a K4 750 :D
Just cause you can doesn't mean every Tom, willy and Harry can, and that's what I was saying. A lot of inexperienced riders buy big bikes and end up crashing them, reality. I also rode big bikes early and luckily it came naturally, but not everybody can...

I love gixxers BTW, K4/K5 were some of the best... :) K8 GSX-R's are gorgeous!
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

ryanrich wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:Hey, I started on a GSX-R750... Guess you think that's too big too...

Just got myself a K4 750 :D
Just cause you can doesn't mean every Tom, willy and Harry can, and that's what I was saying. A lot of inexperienced riders buy big bikes and end up crashing them, reality. I also rode big bikes early and luckily it came naturally, but not everybody can...

I love gixxers BTW, K4/K5 were some of the best... :) K8 GSX-R's are gorgeous!
True, I probably got lucky. But, anyone who knows a bike will tell you that there are two kinds of bikers: Those have who have crashed/fallen already, and those who will.

As for the K8, I'm not a fan of that tail piece. Or exhaust. But I guess it's better than that fugly thing they put on the K4/5. Luckily I have a Yoshi
:P
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

When i bought my R6 in 2003, there was a lady rider who bought one with me on the same day.
Turns out it was her first bike!
Took her test on a Yamaha SR250 (delivery bike) and then hopped aboard a 100hp R6 !! Next day she was in hospital. Thankfully she made a full recovery. But like Ryan is saying, usually starting too big = big hospital bills.

@Wik1d - your suggestion of the SXV from Aprilia is beautiful!
In fact just thinking about those bikes brings tears to my eyes. However at R90k they are expensive and the service intervals are just insane. Those things are race bikes with indicators. The 2005-2006 models had a service interval of every 60hours. And every 5000km an engine rebuild was part of the service 8O
2007 and 2008 models are now much better but still require a service every 150 hours - but no more rebuilds. It is a beautiful bike and i'd buy one immediately if i had the cash but as an everyday commuter i think it would get very expensive on the service/tyres side of things.

@Silverback - the Suzuki SM will be more fun than the Kawa, no doubt.
I test drove one last year and was suitably impressed. It was great fun, but not as powerful as i thought it could have been ( i felt my street legal WR426 Yammie was more brutal than the Suzuki). It may be because Suzuki had detuned the engine slightly to give it realistic service intervals and reliability. However as a commuter/everyday bike the Suzuki had way less vibration through the pegs and handles than my Yamaha and that makes a big difference on the day-to-day commute. The suzuki wheelies easily as well which is nice ;)

Personally i'd love to try the 250 Kawasaki but i doubt i'd take one over a SM-type bike. SM's are just so much fun.

Keep us posted..
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I'm going to test drive one, possibly this weekend if they have one. Will post on Monday..
to ápeiro anima
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

I'm the proud owner of a K5 R1 custom colours :P started on a mbx 50 though... back then u needed to be 18 to go for bigger... shortly after my 18th bday the law changed so i went n got me a baby aprilia. went for my 500cc learners coding n got a 99 zx7r. recently sold it n bought the R1. now theres no turning back. :lol:

also got a honda cr500r and a 660 raptor.

golden rule with any bike... on or off the road. u will never be the boss. respect ur bike n treat it likewise. :P

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Sweet...thanks for the input. Have a LTZ 400 and the engiena re the same...so power wise, its fine for me...juts will have to get used to the 2 wheels ;)
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

WiK1d wrote:Friggs, that KTM is a friggen beast!

I'd suggest a SXV4.5 or SXV5.5 from Aprilia (per sig), or the 450/510/610 from Hasqvarna if you're going the Motard route

//Wants SXV :(
lol, I know, wasn't saying he should get one, just love the KTM SM bikes...

b.t.w, I also started on a 750 when I was 18. I am lucky in that my old man has been riding for 40+ years and is a good teacher, nailed some intelligence into me before letting me ride it daily.

Next bike was also a 750, moved to the berg so figured I'd get a MX bike as it must be safer than the road... few weeks later I wiped out, broke my collar bone and a couple ribs for good measure :) Oh well, dirt is fun, thinking of also getting a SV1000 sometime... and a trials bike to play on.

This thread is making me really want to ride on the road again!!