Ubuntu 8.04 - Download Link Added

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

That's the thing, I love Linux and especially Ubuntu, but it just aint practical for me, especially on a laptop... :-(
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

I've downloaded the new server and desktop editions; will install tomorrow to see if they're any good.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

Im in Sandton, looking for copies of both the server and normal editions (32bit), i cannot download at work and do not have net at home. Can anyone help with copies.....will pay
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Richard_ wrote:I've downloaded the new server and desktop editions
we have got to hook up!.. i've tried the LAMP iso 3 times, and each one has been duff.... decided to give it a miss...

ended up upgrading my current install, (still 680+ MB), but would love to try a clean one..

?? :begs:
ryanrich wrote:what's the general feeling around 8.04?
so far, the most noticeable has been the speed boost.. aptitude/apt-get have undergone a major overhaul but, as with the bulk of the upgrade, the average user wouldn't notice, (which is pretty much the point)..

the ACPI has shown some improvement, and the partition manager has also been tweaked.. that's about all i've picked up on so far... (the ffox update is... well... more of the same.. surprisingly stable for beta, but not something i'd crow about...)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

so i worked out what was wrong with my wubi install, seems during the download I ended up with a corrupt file in the ISO which caused it to fail the CRC check and want to d/l the whole cd again. So downloaded the desktop ISO again and voila its working. Now I have a q to the more advanced linux users (I dont remember how to do this) how do I go about doing a proper dual boot without formatting any of my partitions?

DJV what proggi are you using to setup youre install like that? There is a proggi which I cant remember the name for that allows the same thing in windows...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Anakha56 wrote:DJV what proggi are you using to setup youre install like that?
That woul dbe the awesome power of Compiz (compizfusion?)
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Like how?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Like how?
The whole dark theme with system stats on the wallpaper, the cube browsing and the last pic...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Oh :)

Well the cool desktop environment (cube, etc) is brought to you by Compiz, pre installed in Ubuntu.

The stats are supplied by Conky :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Liet_Kynes

Post by Liet_Kynes »

Have any of you tried using the torrent to fix your corrupt downloads. Downloading the whole cd again is a bit much and the torrent would just reget the corrupt parts.