Good question to the Linux experts - about security

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:Is it that your latest camel pr0n has less humps than you were expecting
Oh no, there were plenty of humps.

Unfortunately that scary-looking woman from Black Eyed Peas lied when she equated humps with lovely lady lumps....
rustypup wrote:well, for one thing, it severly impedes the rate of infection, effectively minimising the OS's risk profile. as you yourself stated, it is the soft underbelly present in windows which makes it the easier target.
Lets not talk about whats soft and under your belly there, Tonto!
rustypup wrote:]arguing for insecurity in favour of peddling to the dimmest of operators is like arguing for an appendectomy to be performed by a thoroughly innebriated mexican vet "because he's funnier"...
Some of my best friends are thoroughly inebriated Mexican vets - and they are much more knowledgeable than you!
I think if we are looking at security being preferable to usability Linux would win on the planet Vulcan. However here on Earth it loses miserably to a buggy, unstable OS that you have to pay a lot of money for, and then still have to purchase additional 3rd party software to ward off viruses. It loses to that. So can we please put the notion that security > usability out to pasture. For Joe Soap out on the street, it does not.

Millions of people would rather pirate Windows than use Linux for free. They would risk jail time or hefty fines, rather than put up with all the hassle of your OS....

LOL!
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

That, unfortunately, is the way of the inculcated cattle we call customers. So yes, you are correct on that score.

B-B-B-BUT! The reason you do not get arrested for doing the same with Linux is because it does not charge a small fortune in order for you to benefit from its wondrously stable, secure and ever-growing OS. Indeed the mere fact that people pirate Windows should be eveidence enough that it is overpriced, considering the MILLIONS of copies that would be sold, they could cut their profit margin a fair share and provide a workable, usable product which works out the box and doesnt have email addresses specifically setup for hate mail.

Heck, they could even rename their OS' to reflect what they in fact are. ie
XP HOME = XP IT Support tech nightmare Edition
XP PRO = XP Usable-yet-buggy-until-SP2 Edition

VISTA = WTF WERE YOU THINKING EDITION
to ápeiro anima
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Jamin wrote:Millions of people would rather pirate Windows than use Linux for free. They would risk jail time or hefty fines, rather than put up with all the hassle of your OS....
Good point :D
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:The reason you do not get arrested for doing the same with Linux is because it does not charge a small fortune in order for you to benefit from its wondrously stable, secure and ever-growing OS.
And still hardly anybody will touch it!
UrBaN wrote:the mere fact that people pirate Windows should be eveidence enough that it is overpriced, considering the MILLIONS of copies that would be sold, they could cut their profit margin a fair share and provide a workable, usable product which works out the box and doesnt have email addresses specifically setup for hate mail.
What a valid and insightful point!
I called Bill Gates up to let him in your little revelation, but he was too busy counting all his money to take my call...

I wonder if I should call Linus Torvalds. He';s probably not doing anything right now :roll:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:here on Earth it loses miserably to a buggy, unstable OS that you have to pay a lot of money for, and then still have to purchase additional 3rd party software to ward off viruses.
and, of course, you would have us believe that this state of affairs has nothing whatsoever to do with the manner in which it was shoehorned onto every PC for 30 years by the simple expedient of corporate blackmail and its concomitant OEM infection vector...

right?..

just because you're a victim doesn't mean you don't have rights.... :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

jamin_za wrote:
UrBaN wrote:The reason you do not get arrested for doing the same with Linux is because it does not charge a small fortune in order for you to benefit from its wondrously stable, secure and ever-growing OS.
And still hardly anybody will touch it!
Then why oh why is the Linux userbase growing constantly? Must be all the new born babies right? OR, MAYBE it's the converted Windows users who've had enough of paying for an OS with foundations of jelly!?
jamin_za wrote:
UrBaN wrote:the mere fact that people pirate Windows should be eveidence enough that it is overpriced, considering the MILLIONS of copies that would be sold, they could cut their profit margin a fair share and provide a workable, usable product which works out the box and doesnt have email addresses specifically setup for hate mail.
What a valid and insightful point!
I called Bill Gates up to let him in your little revelation, but he was too busy counting all his money to take my call...
Liar, he was just too scared he'd get whacked in the face with a pie which is why we never see the dude anymore! wahahahaha!

Face it, supporting Windows is like buying a Renault. You know you shouldn't, you know the company is dying and you just KNOW you'll regret itm but you do it anyway because it has DX 10.1 :roll: or EXTRA cupholders!

For the same money you could buy a car, and for no money you could run Linux :D
to ápeiro anima
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Um....maybe the size of the Linux user base has something to do with the possibility that Joe/Jill Average have never heard of it and think that Vista is the only and best operating available....and whatever else the oke at Incredible chooses to tell them?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

jamin_za's father wrote: That, unfortunately, is the way of the inculcated cattle we call customers. So yes, you are correct on that score.
Is there an echo in here?

ate1
[return]
ok

Oh look, there is.
to ápeiro anima
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:Then why oh why is the Linux userbase growing constantly?
Is it :?: Prove it.

And then prove it is growing faster than the Windows user base.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Nobody said it's growing faster than Windows. Take off your 3D pr0n goggles and read properly.

READ THIS

AND THIS

BUT HERE COMES

THE TWIST

So you see, young Pedowan, the documentation is there to support the claims as mentioned.
to ápeiro anima
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

UrBaN wrote:So you see, young Pedowan...
You made me fall off my chair! :lol:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:the documentation is there to support the claims as mentioned.
Thank you.

Now, given the fact that Linux's user base is growing slower than Windows, please extrapolate for me the point in time when Linux will achieve market dominance. Will it be the year hell freezes over, or the year the cows come home?
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

jamin_za wrote:
UrBaN wrote:the documentation is there to support the claims as mentioned.
Thank you.

Now, given the fact that Linux's user base is growing slower than Windows, please extrapolate for me the point in time when Linux will achieve market dominance. Will it be the year hell freezes over, or the year the cows come home?
I thought you had a stay-at-home mom?! :twisted:

Well, if you take into account the fact that when Linux first started it had a really small userbase and low growth rate - naturally.

However, some years down the line it is growing a hell of a lot faster, not as fast as Windows, true, but its catching up. Therefore, give it some years and the gap will be a lot smaller.

I don't know whether Linux will ever be as large as Windows...though I do see the presence of Linux as a factor which Microsoft will have to address and think about - be it changing their business model or even the structure of their OS, I think the presence of Linux will be a major influencing factor.

Back to the point though, did you ever receive those bootlegged pr0n discs you ordered from the Backstreet Boys fansite?
to ápeiro anima
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:Well, if you take into account the fact that when Linux first started it had a really small userbase and low growth rate - naturally.
LOL!
And what has changed :?: Wikipedia credits Linux's server market share at 12.7% and it's desktop share at 1%
I feel quite safe in saying that if it were not for the Internet - Linux's server share would be about 1% as well, because Unix kicks it's ares as a server OS for anything other than serving web pages.
UrBaN wrote:However, some years down the line it is growing a hell of a lot faster, not as fast as Windows, true, but its catching up. Therefore, give it some years and the gap will be a lot smaller.
Hmmm. It debuted in 1991, in in the proceeding 16 years it has managed to only garner a minute sliver of the market. A lot of that market share was stolen from it's big brother Unix to boot!
UrBaN wrote:I don't know whether Linux will ever be as large as Windows...
It wont.
UrBaN wrote:though I do see the presence of Linux as a factor which Microsoft will have to address and think about
I agree. If Linux's only purpose on this earth is to make a few fanboys happy and keep Microsoft on it's toes I am happy to have it here.
UrBaN wrote:Back to the point though, did you ever receive those bootlegged pr0n discs you ordered from the Backstreet Boys fansite?
No. And I have CCTV footage of you stealing it from my post box.
I wanted to email it to the SAPS, but they use Linux, and they cant open WMV files.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

jamin_za wrote:I wanted to email it to the SAPS, but they use Linux, and they cant open WMV files.
Wahahaha! :lol:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

ROFL! BASTID!

I mistakenly took those thinking it was pr0n with females in, which I knew would offend you.

Your brother did come collect the discs from me though, you sure he doesn't have them? He said he'd give them to you 'cos you promised him soem alone time.

Use this if you're a moran with mwv files on Linux
to ápeiro anima
shiv

LOL

Post by shiv »

jamin_za, you are a legend!!!
You make reading these forums so much more enjoyable!
Well done!!!
:wink:
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

jamin_za wrote:
UrBaN wrote:Back to the point though, did you ever receive those bootlegged pr0n discs you ordered from the Backstreet Boys fansite?
No. And I have CCTV footage of you stealing it from my post box.
I wanted to email it to the SAPS, but they use Linux, and they cant open WMV files.
The SAPS are clever enuf to use Linux? I never knew that
UrBaN wrote:I mistakenly took those thinking it was pr0n with females in, which I knew would offend you.
LOL! :lol:
UrBaN wrote:Your brother did come collect the discs from me though, you sure he doesn't have them? He said he'd give them to you 'cos you promised him soem alone time.
Erm.... :?
shiv wrote:jamin_za, you are a legend!!!
You make reading these forums so much more enjoyable!
Well done!!!
Agreed, there are only two people who if i see have posted I will immediately go back and read their posts; one is Tribble, and the other is Jamin

He makes my day better with his humor. LOL

Keep up the good work
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook