Windows 7... LOL

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
beerman

Post by beerman »

Rusty ..

Do you have some links re: the rental (per use) option? I'd like to read more. I guess the quality of the idea will depend on the price they rent it to you at! Having said that, I doubt it can be implemented successfully without upsetting even more people than Vista did.

However, I'm a keen supporter of buying a skeleton product (of course, at rock bottom prices) and then buying add-ons as I require them e.g. a spell checker/thesaurus, templates for Word, advanced graphics editing etc.

My view is that MS products have really become bloatware with a typical user only using a small percentage of the capability of the product but having to fork out for a fully blown software suite. They of course realise this, market their product with it's 400 new features (of which you will only really use 2-3!) and charge you twice the amount that you paid for the previous version of the same software.

So, maybe getting them thinking about allowing users to purchase/rent what they require (again, stressing that it depends on the pricing!) as and when they need it may not be a bad thing. I'm sure there is a good business model in that idea somewhere!
My 2c ...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Hex_Rated wrote:So Windows users are South Korean and Linux users North?
Hell, yeah! Windows users are a democratic peace loving peoples who will be happy just being left alone

While the Linux users are scum who seek to overrun and impose their silly OS on us. They use subversive means, like starting threads on internet forums mocking Windows to do this. Plus their "Dear Leader" Linus Torvalds enjoys the company of men. And gerbils.
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

jamin_za wrote:You 'nix gaylords are totally without class.
WHAT ???
2) Respect each other! Profanity, insults, flaming, racist, sexist, hateful comments will not be tolerated. Personal attacks are completely unnecessary. Please report this to Cameron and/or the moderators.
Do not try and slip some profanity in by changing the spelling or using special characters.
and you are a mod , for shame!, this whole thred is littered with your FLAMING, INSULTING, and personally atacking people. whats wrong with you!.

PS, this is like two people arguing about what flavour of ice cream tastes the best, the one sais, Caramel and the other vanilla, peoples preferances difer, some people dont mind the occsional BSOD and others like the versatility of a 'nix system.

PS, I know the spelling and gramour is not the best, butI dont care !!!

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:Which OS went from command lines to GUI first :?:
wasn't that an apple concept which bill and co copied?... mickeysoft has no need to be orginal... what they can't steal , they buy - through force of litigation if necessary... thereafter charging a mint for 'their' IP..

i get that you're feeling humbled in the presence of a superior operating system, especially given your natural,(intellectual), limitations, but i'm sure the concept of a 3d desktop cube covered in interactive goatse would go some way to consoling you in your chosen profession of mickeysoft sycophant.[size=0]pedobear fan.. i lol'd!..[/size]..

finally, all jabs at linus aside, where else would you possibly find someone this committed to an OS getting excited about, and distributing a patch for, a viral threat?...

@Xiphan: the point behind the PC is that it can do so much more than just gaming, (or, for that matter, pr0n)... i get that your interests are pretty basic, but having used both OS's for more years than you've been drinking lite ale puts me in good stead to judge the two products... windows is, without a shadow of a doubt, playing troglodyte to the *nix wunderkind... hell, even vista's apparent 'beauty' was a ripoff of OSX... i believe its net io was a ripoff of some earlier form of semiphore..

@beerman: Ars Technica hints at modular windows...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

jamin_za wrote: I love trolling
yeah we know you do.... damn that was small.... lol
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Firestrm wrote:
jamin_za wrote: I love trolling
yeah we know you do.... damn that was small.... lol
:lol: Finally, somebody besides Rustypup sees the light!

Anyway, this thread is old and busted now that you have let the gerbil out of my.... nevermind!

So I'll take my leave. With apologies to Frozenfireside who is the only person in this thread I could be said to have personally attacked - other than Zerubabel - who is a fellow troll and does not deserve an apology :D

To the rest of you fanboys - it was a pleasure upsetting you by mocking your favourite OS, and I look forward to doing it again soon!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

@Firestrm: that's against the rules of engagement... it's no fun if you just come out and blurt it all over the place... :twisted:
jamin_za wrote:With apologies to Frozenfireside
... i don't know... i think PhReaK_K took a nibble as well.. you just failed to strike :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:i think PhReaK_K took a nibble as well.. you just failed to strike
:lol:

I was composing a scintillating retort to PhReaK_K - quite possible my finest work, when Firestrm snitched me out!
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

oh I nibbled, was just to busy with work stuff to really bite ;)

shiv

What the hell?

Post by shiv »

@jamin_za:

This thread was about mocking Windows 7, I have no idea where Linux came in!!

By the way, if anyone wants more laughs at MS, go to that site, http://www.keznews.com and read the articles there.
You'll also find other stuff there, which I won't comment on.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

jamin_za wrote:
rustypup wrote:i think PhReaK_K took a nibble as well.. you just failed to strike
:lol:

I was composing a scintillating retort to PhReaK_K - quite possible my finest work, when Firestrm snitched me out!
Yeah, spoilsport.
I was starting to enjoy this - better than a religion thread. :twisted:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

rustypup wrote:@Xiphan: the point behind the PC is that it can do so much more than just gaming, (or, for that matter, pr0n)... i get that your interests are pretty basic, but having used both OS's for more years than you've been drinking lite ale puts me in good stead to judge the two products... windows is, without a shadow of a doubt, playing troglodyte to the *nix wunderkind... hell, even vista's apparent 'beauty' was a ripoff of OSX... i believe its net io was a ripoff of some earlier form of semiphore..
Well I'm glad you've realised that the PC can be used for so much more than just an entertainment platform, which is the reason why I use Windows, because it can do so much more! I'd rather put up with the flaws inherent in Windows than have to wade through a plethora of CLI commands, looking for the right one to something that is quintessentially, in software terms, a simple procedure. Or having to look through endless open source programs/ addons/ etc. to find a program that does one of the things that the bloated Windows does by default! :roll:
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

jamin_za wrote:
Firestrm wrote:
jamin_za wrote:So I'll take my leave. With apologies to Frozenfireside who is the only person in this thread I could be said to have personally attacked - other than Zerubabel - who is a fellow troll and does not deserve an apology :D
:biggrin:
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Xiphan wrote:I'd rather put up with the flaws inherent in Windows than have to wade through a plethora of CLI commands, looking for the right one to something that is quintessentially, in software terms, a simple procedure.
by all accounts, this would be the typical windoze luser standpoint.[size=0]it's[/size]....

ie, "i'm too dumb to look a CL in the blinking cursor... because mickeysoft says it's too difficult for me"..[size=0]a[/size]..

tell you what, you keep buying their claptrap, and i'll keep using the best OS since moses chipped some stone...[size=0]trap![/size].... :wink:
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

rustypup wrote:by all accounts, this would be the typical windoze luser standpoint.[size=0]it's[/size]....

ie, "i'm too dumb to look a CL in the blinking cursor... because mickeysoft says it's too difficult for me"..[size=0]a[/size]..

tell you what, you keep buying their claptrap, and i'll keep using the best OS since moses chipped some stone...[size=0]trap![/size].... :wink:
Are you feeling a little bit nostalgic? Are you wishing that computers were not user friendly like they used to be back in the stone ages? I suppose I can see how Linux would make you feel that way. It gives you a false sense of satisfaction from accomplishing a mundane task in the most difficult way possible. As for being too scared to look at a CL, I'm not. I use them all the time for Java and music and video encoding.

What I find ironic is that you criticise windows for simplifying things, yet it makes more sense, to you at least, to use an OS that complicates things and possibly wastes a lot of time in the process as a result. Saying I’m too dumb to do it the Linux way, instead it makes logical sense to use Windows and get the job, whatever it may be, done as quickly as possible.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Xiphan wrote:
rustypup wrote:by all accounts, this would be the typical windoze luser standpoint.[size=0]it's[/size]....

Are you feeling a little bit nostalgic? Are you wishing that computers were not user friendly like they used to be back in the stone ages? I suppose I can see how Linux would make you feel that way. It gives you a false sense of satisfaction from accomplishing a mundane task in the most difficult way possible. As for being too scared to look at a CL, I'm not. I use them all the time for Java and music and video encoding.

What I find ironic is that you criticise windows for simplifying things, yet it makes more sense, to you at least, to use an OS that complicates things and possibly wastes a lot of time in the process as a result. Saying I’m too dumb to do it the Linux way, instead it makes logical sense to use Windows and get the job, whatever it may be, done as quickly as possible.
Windows FTW!!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Hello! This thread has once again become relevant to my interests.

Xiphan, you biscuit!
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Personally the only reason so many people use windows is that it comes pre installed on computers. I bought a new laptop with Vista. The thing chugged, not even able to play cs. After a quick downgrade to XP, now I am playing Dawn of war, CS Source etc. also I have recovered about 20GB of HDD space.
If at first you don’t succeed, use a bigger gun...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Xiphan wrote:It gives you a false sense of satisfaction from accomplishing a mundane task in the most difficult way possible.
right.. because clicking through 20 different GUIs to launch an app is far simpler than simply running it from the command line... right?..[size=0]still?[/size]....

the simple fact that you continue to spout the windoze propaganda around 'ease of use' despite every indication to the contrary makes it overwhelmingly evident that you lack the necessary intellect to make a sound, impartial, choice between the two, hence negating any possible point you may wish to make..[size=0]hahaha[/size]...

@shiv: yelling "Windows FTW!!" is tantamount to running around inviting people to stab you in the face with a plastic fork... which is pretty much what it feels like when the windoze desktop finally manages to load, after chugging every last drop of resource form your system.[size=0]huzzah![/size]..

<edit>
Welcome Lukas! :D

all this silliness aside, be sure to stop by the intro thread and give us a wee glimpse into who Lukas is, what you do and whether or not you support the ludicrous idea about using bathmats as legal tender in zim :twisted:
</edit>
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Welcome Lukas!

all this silliness aside, be sure to stop by the intro thread and give us a wee glimpse into who Lukas is, what you do and whether or not you support the ludicrous idea about using bathmats as legal tender in zim
thanks for the welcome. going on over now.
as for the bathmats, would probably cost a few million zim$$$ :wink:
If at first you don’t succeed, use a bigger gun...
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote: right.. because clicking through 20 different GUIs to launch an app is far simpler than simply running it from the command line... right?..[size=0]still?[/size]....
20? Now you're going overboard here dude!!
rustypup wrote: the simple fact that you continue to spout the windoze propaganda around 'ease of use' despite every indication to the contrary makes it overwhelmingly evident that you lack the necessary intellect to make a sound, impartial, choice between the two, hence negating any possible point you may wish to make..[size=0]hahaha[/size]...
Oh I see. Hmm... when I read the Ubuntu documentation online, the method that is suggested is to encode MP3's is to type some crap parameters for some program.
Is that really necessary??
Same goes for mencoder for video encoding... it would be better to have the options on screen and choose, than to type some laborious parameters.
I would just click on the codec of choice and hit a configure button, and there you have it... lots of options (think DivX or XviD or MP3).
In Windows, it's just clicks away...
Sure, you get GUI frontends for command line programs (that's standard on Linux), but still.

In fact, when browsing Linux forums, most of the solutions to problems involve the command line or editing some file.
What gives??
rustypup wrote: @shiv: yelling "Windows FTW!!" is tantamount to running around inviting people to stab you in the face with a plastic fork... which is pretty much what it feels like when the windoze desktop finally manages to load, after chugging every last drop of resource form your system.[size=0]huzzah![/size]..
LOL now you're making up this nonsense.
My Windows machine starts up faster than any Linux distro I have tried.
Yes, yes, Windows is bloated. Whatever, we know that. Ever tried SUSE?
Last edited by shiv on 22 Apr 2008, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Oh god..I think jaminz ways are starting to get to me..

lukas location reads:
I just read these posts and read Location: Amazingtoti :?

I blame jamin for his brash and unashamed support of the OS which purports to be user friendly, yet forces one to the dreaded, much hated CL just to do simple tasks like PING, IPCONFIG etc..

"WHO NEEDS A COMMAND LINE!...oh wait, just go start, run, cmd, rd c:\windows c:\rdndnt"
to ápeiro anima
shiv

Post by shiv »

UrBaN wrote:Oh god..I think jaminz ways are starting to get to me..

lukas location reads:
I just read these posts and read Location: Amazingtoti :?

I blame jamin for his brash and unashamed support of the OS which purports to be user friendly, yet forces one to the dreaded, much hated CL just to do simple tasks like PING, IPCONFIG etc..

"WHO NEEDS A COMMAND LINE!...oh wait, just go start, run, cmd, rd c:\windows c:\rdndnt"
It's just as easy to mess up Linux using the command line...
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

That's not messing it up, it's a temporary fix until the Ubuntu DVD finishes it's install.

...confused individual
to ápeiro anima
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

@shiv = your queries about encoding videos and mp3, what videos and mp3's, your own creations or the illegal kind --- he he..

Ps, in Linux you also have a lot of "poity-clicky" apps that do that, Like Lemonrip, DeeVeeDee etc. the thing is just like Windows, if you dont know about the aplicions and how to use it then you wont be able to , and you wil be stuck with impractical aplications.