What system Crysis developers used to test ???/

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
PhReaK_K

What system Crysis developers used to test ???/

Post by PhReaK_K »

Now I was just wondering on what system did the developers test Crysis ?? Taking that is has been relesed a couple of months ago and still I am yet to see a system run in on max , high res and get really good frame rates ?

I am thinking something like this but I could be wrong ..

;)
Last edited by PhReaK_K on 11 Apr 2008, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I'd have to say a sli ultra system, as they'd recieve stuff before anyone else. Prob a dual processing solution as well. Something like a few FX 74s, which we all have seen ;)
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

:stupid:
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

No you're not. And I am not stupid.

Kthxbye.
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

I was thinking they super enfused the brain capabilities of Vernon Koekemoer and Chuck norris into one GPU/CPU/MOBO .. something like that ..

B0r0m1r
Permanently Banned

Post by B0r0m1r »

Then they wouldn't even play it on Ultra LOW@ 240x320 with directx7
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Dx5 ftw. I remember having to install it for mortal kombat. LOL
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

definately not tested in this country, the power requirements would be to high for eskom ..

<< random ponderings >>

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Developers don't use the kind of graphics we use. The cards they use costs ridiculous amounts of cash. I remember hearing somewhere that the video cards they use costs something like 100K 8O

I might be wrong though
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Your're right to a point, but they only have the processing power of an equiv card. Like there was a batch that performed like 7900gts, but cost 10times as much.
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

HOLY CRAP !!!!
That is a couple months of salary right there !!!!
Now If I live on two minute noodles for a year, and walk to work.. I might be abe to do it ..

I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

No you won't. You gotta pay tax :\ They'll take it all. LOL!
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Cap should know how they do it :?: I've been wondering the same thing since Doom3.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

PhReaK_K wrote:HOLY CRAP !!!!
That is a couple months of salary right there !!!!
Now If I live on two minute noodles for a year, and walk to work.. I might be abe to do it ..
And if you don't use electricity. Or water. And don't buy groceries.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I34z1k wrote:Your're right to a point, but they only have the processing power of an equiv card. Like there was a batch that performed like 7900gts, but cost 10times as much.
Yes but there's a reason why they cost so much more. It's one of those situations similar to cameras, where you can have a 5MP camera that costs R1000, and a 5MP that costs R15000.

There's obviously something about those cards that makes them worth so much
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
capanno

Post by capanno »

You get workstation gfx cards, and yes they are damn expensive. Im not sure how they perform compared to mainstream cards. I know the developers developed crysis on alpha and beta software and hardware, which was an absolute nightmare! Very buggy and unstable developing environment. Much respect for doing it though.

I don't know much about the AAA side of development and the tools. Way out of my price league, for now at least.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

O sorry, didn't mention that.

Its something to the effect that they are like ECC and produce more accurate renders. They aren't for gaming actually, just rendering :)
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

but realistically though, they needed to test it on something to see if it is playable on "mainstream " systems?

I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

They'll have more than just 5 pcs...
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Hmmm... I guess when developing they'd set a minimum spec to aim for (actually, now that I think about it, Valve mentioned this in the HL2 Ep.1 commentary) which would be one of the current cards. Develop for that minimum spec card, and I suppose the higher settings are decided on easily: once the skeleton of the game is there (the minimum spec version) the higher level settings are easy - maybe upping texture quality just uses up more ram, and predicting things like the future amount of ram the average user will have can't be too hard.

Also, They probably wouldn't be too concerned about frames per second when developing, future cards do the same job (in most cases, when it comes to new API's like DX10 I don't know) faster.

My n00bish guess. :)
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadro

Background on the Quadro beast.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html

Specs of the latest...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Besides using workstaiton GFX they have some thing else up their sleeve to be able to compile as single level on ultra detail requires a lot of CPU power.

I know for me to compile a level even on a qaud core can take as much as 8 hours and a full 20 level game as much as a week or more.

So the only option to be more productive is to use a network of computers to compile a single level..Which can still ammount to a few hours.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
jPm

Post by jPm »

I can remember in 1994/5/6, at my dads work, they needed to render a Massive Building Structure for a Presentation. They linked a few PCs together and it took a couple of days.

Although these were much slower PCs.lol. At the Time I think they had bought 5 Pentium Pro's which were like extreme Edition Intels at the time.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Hmmm... I guess when developing they'd set a minimum spec to aim for (actually, now that I think about it, Valve mentioned this in the HL2 Ep.1 commentary) which would be one of the current cards. Develop for that minimum spec card, and I suppose the higher settings are decided on easily: once the skeleton of the game is there (the minimum spec version) the higher level settings are easy - maybe upping texture quality just uses up more ram, and predicting things like the future amount of ram the average user will have can't be too hard.

Also, They probably wouldn't be too concerned about frames per second when developing, future cards do the same job (in most cases, when it comes to new API's like DX10 I don't know) faster.

My n00bish guess.
Like valve said blah blah.

All games being develop is rendered at best possible setting in other words ultra details ect.

But before than is even done.Some of the following would happen first.

Level design is first tested no fancy shaders or lighmapping ect.

Level design is where the frame rates really takes it's toll.Static/dynamic entities has to have the right blance AI needs to be tested to make sure that it doesn't load the CPU too much.Scripting with in the game level needs to be checked.

From there lightmapping is optimized and shaders added.Most software allows for shaders/soft decals/dynamic and static shadows to be switched off while testing the level out to make sure that frame rates are with in bounds in each section low end main and high end graphics cards is then tested and further optimized for the end user.

Polygons is also a great framerate killer and is optimized as well.

Because the level is optimized for lower end computers high end computers suffer the least.Shaders and static and dynamic shadows on the otherhand can't realy be optimized that much and that is why even high end suffer when choosing higher settings.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
CranialBlaze

Post by CranialBlaze »

One thing i know is Crysis was probably benched @ Eureka the only place who would be able to jerry rig enough components together to get 60fps @ max.

Although they render with workstation graphics and are able to view it flawlessly with them, they would have to write specific instructions into those cards drivers for it to play games as that is not what they are intended for and if you had to spend the 100k+ on 1 of those cards you be extremely depressed when you notice not even basic games will work properly.

I have supplier prices near me and the most expensive workstation card i can find will retail around 32k - 35k depending on were you buy it and that would probably be a fraction of what they rendered Crysis on.

I remember reading somewhere that the new 9800GTX Dual GPU and way too much vid memory was intended as a type of bridge with the capabilities of gaming and mid range rendering, unfortunate i don't know any1 with the cash to bench it for me and test it with pricey rendering software
Life - The Longest Game you will EVER Play