Question for the May mag!

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Question for the May mag!

Post by Nab »

It's a physics thing :)

Does being able to kick tables and chairs around make that much difference to your gaming?
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Question for the May mag!

Post by hamin_aus »

Nab wrote:It's a physics thing :)

Does being able to kick tables and chairs around make that much difference to your gaming?
Physics is not just about kicking objects, its jumping, falling, shrapnel, lighting and a host of other things.
And they all need processor time and memory to be done correctly

I think at the end of the day it comes down to resource usage. Is the element of realism brought about by a physics engine worth the extra resources the game will need?

Must we now go out and by a Gfx card with a physics co-processor?

Will mid-range PC's be able to handle physics smoothly without adversely affecting game speed?

Yes, it will enrich game play and add extra realism, but if that extra realism means I have to buy newer, beefier hardware then forget it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

It makes a huge difference to the atmosphere. The way gaming is today, i would really frown if i played a new release that didn't have basic physics like that. Sure, you probably wouldn't utilize that feature of the game, but it will really add to the atmosphere and make the environment more believable.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

YES, how can you even ask that? We don't play 2D platform games anymore to marvel over the eye-candy. Remember when Duke Nukem 3D came out? I was amazed that if you walk into certain objects they would react. Now you can break crates, see movement in grass and get different explosion effects every time. That's the evolution of physics that actually started long ago that's only starting to become mainstream now because hardware can handle it.

If you picked up a latest release and objects on the wall were 2D and couldn't be interacted with, you WILL notice something is wrong. Games won't have replayabilty if you you're used to the same explosions every time, the same sparks flying into the same area, burning the predictable same objects. It's all about realism. And why just gaming. Gaming may be the reason it's now so available but open your mind and think of the possibilities where it can be implemented. Film Industries. Architecture, Space exploration and so much more. I see physics as an Artificial Intelligence for the environment.

Physics will handicap gamers to what they can play NOW! It's in the same line as SLI at the moment. Nice technology, it has it's uses and it certainly has potential. But it is by far not necassary. So for now keep it at that. Keep it recommended requirement rather than a minimum requirement, reserved only to the few who really appreciate and want it.
JustIce91

Post by JustIce91 »

Yes. Why??? Cause newton said so.
And, it feels good! :D
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

In Half-Life 2 I can use a toilet to kill the enemies... PHYSICS ROCKS!!! :wink:
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

I am a scientist therefore I like physics and it is sweet when i can break tables and chairs without having to glue them back together before dad gets home.
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...