MOnitoring CPU temps - software is a crock!

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
GregH
Processor: Intel 4770K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VI
Graphics card: GTX680
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

MOnitoring CPU temps - software is a crock!

Post by GregH »

I have downloaded SpeedFan and Core Temp and run these side by side on my system, both simultaneously and alone to monitor CPU temp on my o/clocked machine.

On average:
SpeedFan reports the 4 cores at idle as 32,32,37,37
Core Temp reports the 4 cores at idle as 47,47,54,54

and under load:
SpeedFan - 39,39,46,46
Core Temp - 60,60,71,71

A massive difference I'm sure you would agree. So which one is right? Core Temp can't be right because my mobo is set to CPU alarm at 60 degrees celcius and Core Temp shows it going way over that limit!? Further, it shows these hight temps the moment I can open it after switching the PC on from cold (my machine boots into the Vista desktop in about 60 seconds. Booting straight into the bios after working the CPU hard presents me with a temp in the mid to high 30's, similar to SpeedFan.

So IMHO, Core Temp is unreliable at best, possibly SpeedFan also. Anyone else use something else that might be half accurate? For now I have no good reason to beleive any of these programs is worth the download time of about 1 second :twisted:
GregH
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz / Corsair H100I dual radiator closed loop liquid CPU cooler / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8.8.8.24 / Asus Maximus Hero VI MoBo / GTX680 / Crucial C300 SSD 256GB / 1.5TB Seagate SATAII / Onboard Hi Def Audio / Dual monitor 23 inch Dell LCD /
Windows 7 Pro 64
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Re: MOnitoring CPU temps - software is a crock!

Post by wizardofid »

GregH wrote:I have downloaded SpeedFan and Core Temp and run these side by side on my system, both simultaneously and alone to monitor CPU temp on my o/clocked machine.

On average:
SpeedFan reports the 4 cores at idle as 32,32,37,37
Core Temp reports the 4 cores at idle as 47,47,54,54

and under load:
SpeedFan - 39,39,46,46
Core Temp - 60,60,71,71

A massive difference I'm sure you would agree. So which one is right? Core Temp can't be right because my mobo is set to CPU alarm at 60 degrees celcius and Core Temp shows it going way over that limit!? Further, it shows these hight temps the moment I can open it after switching the PC on from cold (my machine boots into the Vista desktop in about 60 seconds. Booting straight into the bios after working the CPU hard presents me with a temp in the mid to high 30's, similar to SpeedFan.

So IMHO, Core Temp is unreliable at best, possibly SpeedFan also. Anyone else use something else that might be half accurate? For now I have no good reason to beleive any of these programs is worth the download time of about 1 second :twisted:
Nope core temp is correct.It is possible for the bios to under read as well...I have seen that problem before had a gigbyte board still have which would under read with 10

Yeah the second core temps look odd but it is correct my system reports the same.
CPU alarm at 60 degrees
why it doesn't work...who knows??

Take into account your system alarm is set to 60 CPU tjunction temp is a 100.So there is nothing to worry about yet prelonged high temps might be another ball game all together.

Invest in other cooling solutions other than stock.....

also use the C1E function will reduce idle temp by 5 or 6.

Yeah speed fan is not worth the download....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Rish_zn

Post by Rish_zn »

speedfan always seems to give me readings 5 C less than others, i find core temp and intels thermal analysis tool to be better and sync with each other.
GregH

Post by GregH »

"Invest in other cooling solutions other than stock....."

wizardofid, what cooling solution are you using with your 3,2Ghz o/clock, and at what CPU voltage? What temps do you get with Core Temp?

The Core Temp readings seem high if they are indeed correct, something to worry about if this is a 24/7 o/clock.

Another thing I did not mention - if I touch the cpu cooler block, it is only very mildly warm, the North Bridge gets way hotter and the bios reports that as about 55 degrees. At what temp is somthing considered paintful to hold onto for more than 5 seconds?

I don't mind if the CPU only lasts 18 months or so as by then the 3 Ghz Quads will be selling for 2K anyway (and we will be pushing them to 4Ghz :D ). BUt it must last until then.....!
GregH
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz / Corsair H100I dual radiator closed loop liquid CPU cooler / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8.8.8.24 / Asus Maximus Hero VI MoBo / GTX680 / Crucial C300 SSD 256GB / 1.5TB Seagate SATAII / Onboard Hi Def Audio / Dual monitor 23 inch Dell LCD /
Windows 7 Pro 64
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

GregH wrote:"Invest in other cooling solutions other than stock....."

wizardofid, what cooling solution are you using with your 3,2Ghz o/clock, and at what CPU voltage? What temps do you get with Core Temp?

The Core Temp readings seem high if they are indeed correct, something to worry about if this is a 24/7 o/clock.

Another thing I did not mention - if I touch the cpu cooler block, it is only very mildly warm, the North Bridge gets way hotter and the bios reports that as about 55 degrees. At what temp is somthing considered paintful to hold onto for more than 5 seconds?

I don't mind if the CPU only lasts 18 months or so as by then the 3 Ghz Quads will be selling for 2K anyway (and we will be pushing them to 4Ghz :D ). BUt it must last until then.....!
Another thing I did not mention - if I touch the cpu cooler block, it is only very mildly warm, the North Bridge gets way hotter and the bios reports that as about 55 degrees.
Yip that is correct same as my old cooler the copper core gets most of the heat I'm sure if you shut down the PC and touched the copper core if you remove the fan it should be pretty hot too handle.

Get some better thermal paste under you NB...or consider another cooler with a good fan If you don't mind noise....
B3 stepping does run hotter take into account it's summer here and indeed a hot one so it's not helping much...

this is the cooler I'm busy setting up...

this is the cooler I'm using now
Zalman CNPS9700

Runs about 47 underload at 3.2ghz.Volts at 1.28
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
GregH

Post by GregH »

3.2 Ghz @ 1.28V - perhaps I have pushed my volts to high by going to 1.3 straight from the stock 1.26? Perhaps I shoud try running @ 1.28 also and see what happens.....

This should also reduce temps I assume???
GregH
Windows 7 Pro 64
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

GregH wrote:3.2 Ghz @ 1.28V - perhaps I have pushed my volts to high by going to 1.3 straight from the stock 1.26? Perhaps I shoud try running @ 1.28 also and see what happens.....

This should also reduce temps I assume???
It will also depend on the motherboard try around 1.35-1.4 reducing from 1.3 to 1.28 ain't going to show much difference.

Well I had my system safely at 1.48 no problems.

The best option really is to up the volts bit by bit till you get some thing stable....

Also don't increase NB or SB volts unless it really requires it
GregH

Post by GregH »

This morning I booted up my Centrino Duo Core 1.8GHhz Laptop and opened Core Temp as soon as I could and it showed a CPU temp of 69 degrees.

That cannot be right! How can the cpu go from ambient temp of about 15 degrees to 69 degrees in 60 seconds and then stay there?

My laptop definitely does not run at such a high temp!!!
GregH
Windows 7 Pro 64
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

google hwmonitor for an accurate temp monitor.... works like a dream....
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
GregH

Post by GregH »

Thanks, will check it out!
GregH
Windows 7 Pro 64