Oracle 10g Help

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
PureFire

Oracle 10g Help

Post by PureFire »

Hi guys...
i had to install Oracle 10g, release 1 on my pc as i got it with my course (Dev Software 201i - Unisa). i wasnt sure which version should be installed, as there was a lite, standard and enterprise edition in the installation options!
so, i installed the enterprise edition.
now, since i installed this, my startup time for my win xp pro sp2 has gone from about 2minutes max (after logging in that i can safely open anything in my system, be it start panel, folders etc) to about 15minutes.
what can i do to stop the processes from starting at windows boot time?
any help in this will be greatly appreciated, as i cant find anything on the net!
thanks!
moreMHZ

Post by moreMHZ »

in your services control panel, there should a few services with the prefix 'Oracle' ( eg. OracleTNSlistener, and one for the SID (database name)) you created.
You can just change there startup to manual. But still, your pc shouldn't take that long. You should have installed standard edition, it's good enough.
Antec Chassis + 400W PSU
Asock 939 Dual Motherboard
160 GB SATA Hardrive
40 GB IDE Harddrive
AMD 3500+ Athlon
1GB Kingston DDR 400
256 MB Asus 7600GT
17" Viewsonic LCD VA712 8ms
Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

another thing to do is check, and possibly cleanup, your classpath and path variables... some of these IDE setups tend to duplicate a lot of entries here, which has the OS parsing the same folders multiple times...

Right Click My Computer, select Properties from the context menu, select the Advanced tab at the bottom of which you will find the Environment Variables button.

each entry should only appear once.... do not clear these variables :!:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

thanks guys...
i uninstalled oracle, what a schlep!
anyways, gonna re-install the standard edition and see what happens!
cheers!
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

i have to ask, because i chave searched with no luck.
what is the difference between the personal and enterprise editions of oracle 10g?
the only thing that i could find is that:
Personal Oracle is a single user version of the database server. It is mostly the same as Enterprise Edition, but doesn't support advanced options like RAC, Streams, XMLDB, etc.
this doesnt help me understand, as what does the "etc" refer to.
also, is it then better to install the "personal" version of oracle over the "standard" version?

thanks again!