Online Retailer Verification

Viruses, hackers and crackers
Willow

Online Retailer Verification

Post by Willow »

:?:

Anyone know if there is a way to verify if an online retailer is a reputable company?

The site I'm interested in buying from claims to be Mastercard verified, but I would like to check. Could'nt find SA contact details on the Mastercard website, so I phoned Nedbank card division and they said they where unable to check if the retailer was legit or not. Not very helpful...

Any ideas?

Thanx
"In the land of the wit-less, the half-wit is crowned." - Robert Frezza
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

word of mouth... the only way to be comfortable...

or use one of your in-laws' cards :lol:

which site?
Last edited by rustypup on 06 Mar 2008, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:which site?
Now, now, rusty. Do you really think the guy's going to be comfortable telling you he wants to buy from sexshop.co.za? ;)

Disclaimer: If there IS actually such a retailer as sexshop.co.za I have never bought anything from them. That was just a name off the top of my head.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

O/T ok. i learnt in class the other day that websites in SA are bound by a law ECT act. and in this it allows that a site that takes information 4rm a consumer must provide TERMS AND CONDITIONDS. in this it must state wat it intends to use this information for. also anything u order must be delivered and they con't give u bull*. cos by this law when u send ur information u make a contract with them. contracts are binding. so u can sue them if they rip u off. :wink:

anyway as to the site being legit or not i can't really help.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Willow

Post by Willow »

Thing is anyone can create a website and fraudlently use images from a trusted vendor. Ditto terms and conditions only mean something if they are a reputable company. Suing even a legitimate company is only going to generate income for lawyers. :twisted:

I deliberately left out the name of the website on the off chance that I'd get a reply from someone who's interests co-incided with the website. Call me paranoid... Actually I was looking at a R2500 graphics tablet. :!:

What I was hoping for, was being able to verify independently, say through Visa or Mastercard, that they are above board. The website doesn't have a physical showroom.

You'd think that with FICA, ECT and a the new Credit Act there would be some way to check these things. Maybe there's a gap in the market for that.

Thanx for the feedback.
"In the land of the wit-less, the half-wit is crowned." - Robert Frezza