Registry Cleanup

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
bootsie

Registry Cleanup

Post by bootsie »

Hey guys - I am not a gr8 fan of re-installing windows. I currently have this install running for over a yr. I would like a freeware application (that u have used) to clean up my registry. Hopefully improving my pc.
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: Registry Cleanup

Post by Monty »

bootsie wrote:Hey guys - I am not a gr8 fan of re-installing windows. I currently have this install running for over a yr. I would like a freeware application (that u have used) to clean up my registry. Hopefully improving my pc.

Use something like system mechanic. Its tried and works. Also be careful and back up the registry because nothing leads to a reinstall faster than a stuffed reg
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

ccleaner is all the rage these days. Try it :wink:
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services

PC: In need of an upgrade :)
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

how does noob boi over here backup his registry
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

In the run dialog box after clicking start, type regedit this opens the registry editor. Click on File, then Export and save that file somewhere safe.

Hey presto, a backup of your registry in its pre-modified state :wink:
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

thanx maestro -

ccleaner - did u use it?
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

noob question number 2 - if i screw up the registry - how wud i get back in windows to revert back to the old one....
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

bootsie wrote:thanx maestro -

ccleaner - did u use it?
I've used it on client machines at work not in my personal capacity at home.

Always backup all important documents and save games, etc before you attempt something drastic like editing the registry.

If you mess up the registry, boot into safe mode and restore that backup you made assuming that your machine does boot up. Otherwise Format, re-install.
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

wel if i delete keys relating to software i have uninstalled a long time ago - it shudnt b a problem, rite?
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

bootsie wrote:wel if i delete keys relating to software i have uninstalled a long time ago - it shudnt b a problem, rite?
Wont be a problem.

In fact its a good idea deleting reg keys of old programs. Sometimes Windows comes up with all sorts of funny dialog boxes 'cos its referencing that certain old program. Its a good maintenance routine to run such programs every few months.

Good luck :)
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

well being my first time - i do hope i dont muck up - cos reinstalling not an option.