Which langauge and compiler

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
Cupis

Which langauge and compiler

Post by Cupis »

I have done coding in the past such as Pascal O.o dreadful hey?

and i did some web programming on visual studio 2005 too. How ever i have recently worked up some ideas i want to play with and want to start coding again. How ever i do not have the faintest on what i should learn.
I want to develop Web Sites and some Windows apps.

What is the best language should i go with? my best bet from what little i know is probably still use Visual studio 2005 using C# ? am i correct in assuming this? and as well is Visual Studio also the best bet for Web site programming. i just want to alternatives and some guidelines? Could anyone help me with this?

Another basic Question is what do programmers mostly use to do some deep coding ie for coding Linux, i am dying to look around into that too.

And when i google this stuff i find it a bit overwhelming and feel i need a bit of a push off in the right direction.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Best would be to stick with Visual Studio, you'll find learning to develop apps for Windows is easy and similar since you already know the web side and most of the syntax. Whether it's the best or not for web depends on your needs, I think most people would recommend VS.NET although I'm not an expert on the web side.

For Linux programming most people use C++ or Java. If you already know C#, Java is very, very similar. Java is nice because the same program can run on Windows, cell phones, PDAs, etc with a little tweaking if any and the tools are free and quite well developed (although no where near VS.NET levels).
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

if you're looking to fiddle in linux, you'll need working knowledge in c/c++, java/python and probably a fair smattering of perl...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

rustypup wrote:if you're looking to fiddle in linux, you'll need working knowledge in c/c++, java/python and probably a fair smattering of perl...
Maybe some PHP aswell.
I find PHP websites attractive smooth and gives a stable feeling over ASP :wink:
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Windows: VS is the way to go. I really, really like VS2008. Express editions are available.

*nix: Check out qt, or else use vim. :wink:
PHR33K

Post by PHR33K »

GDI_Lord: QT is not a language.