LAN CABLE

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
matrixkid

LAN CABLE

Post by matrixkid »

Can anyone help? In what sequence do i line up the wires for a cross cable?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Google is your friend ;)

Took me 10 seconds to find this:

Crossover pinouts

(Yes yes i know... "and MCSE that doesn't know the pinouts?!" - i haven't made LAN cables in ages :P )
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Slacking off, are we Ett? I haven't made a cable in ages, and I still remember what goes where. :P

But add the fact that I have no colour co-ordination, which means that I have to guess what colour each wire is, and things get very interesting. Although I still get my cables right 90% of the time, there's a reason I wasn't allowed to make cables for the FRAG LAN when I was still involved with it... :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

LOL Ron, also remember that with your brain you can remember anything. While doing MCSE i only made Cat5 cables for like an hour and that was it. Since then i haven't made a single cable :|
MANIAC

Post by MANIAC »

DJV, ditto. :D

I too only made a cable that only needed to be 30cm long. That would be the smallest LANParty ever. :lol:

I host LANs monthly and I never had to make a CAT5 still.
#$% Maniac %$#
--------------------
1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB DDR2 800
500 GB 7200 RPM SATA2 Seagate
GeForce 9600 512MB
Creative Audigy 2ZS
Logitech G11/Mx518/x530
AeroCool Aluminium Case / Samsung 22\" LCD
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

LOL dude i made a 3CM Cat5 cable last year. Twas awesome :D
MANIAC

Post by MANIAC »

DJV,

but then imagine the lag you would get with 3cm cable.
NO LAG....LOL. It would be the smallest and the fastest.
#$% Maniac %$#
--------------------
1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
2 GB DDR2 800
500 GB 7200 RPM SATA2 Seagate
GeForce 9600 512MB
Creative Audigy 2ZS
Logitech G11/Mx518/x530
AeroCool Aluminium Case / Samsung 22\" LCD
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

MANIAC wrote:DJV,

but then imagine the lag you would get with 3cm cable.
NO LAG....LOL. It would be the smallest and the fastest.
Hahaha!! 3CM CAT5e > Fiber :P
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Heh? What did you hook it up to?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Rayne wrote:Heh? What did you hook it up to?
I didn't mak it so that it would actually get used, i made it as practice ;)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Ah.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Did they also teach you to only strip 1cm or so off the grey plastic before you untangle the wires and crimp? I see many places teaches it that way, and I can see that none of the people there has accually crimped a cable in a work environment.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Did they also teach you to only strip 1cm or so off the grey plastic before you untangle the wires and crimp? I see many places teaches it that way, and I can see that none of the people there has accually crimped a cable in a work environment.
I worked for a company where my (main) job was installing networks. Let me tell you, in some the places I worked, stripping only 1cm off the plastic is absurd. There is no way in hell you would ever make a working cable that way. People teaching this stuff should be realistic.
garp

Post by garp »

I find, you need to strip off a reasonably amount of the gray plastic, make sure all the wires are in the right place and are all cut EXACTLY the same length or else some don't make contact. (Even though it only uses 2 or 4 wires out of the 8 (I think can't remember, I know it doesn't use all the wires) it's normally an important one that doesn't make contact. You can shove the grey plastic up an inch or 2 into the connector it’s pretty flexible.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

SykomantiS wrote:
I worked for a company where my (main) job was installing networks. Let me tell you, in some the places I worked, stripping only 1cm off the plastic is absurd. There is no way in hell you would ever make a working cable that way. People teaching this stuff should be realistic.
Thats why I asked. One of my friend did it that way, and when I asked him WTF he is doing he replied its the way he was tought. I quickly told him to strip atleast 3-4 cm off. His way also took far longer than mine.

Good thing is I wasn't tought how to do it, I was handled a color diagram and a crimper and I had to figure it out myself. Thus I found the best way to do it without and other people's ideas.
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

There is the quick way and then there is the right way.
If you use the right crimpimg tool, it should have a cutter which cuts the wires equal. Stripping the grey back by only 1cm allows the RJ45 connector to be attached firmly to the cable and instead of the wires now having to bear the brunt of mechanical action, the sleave now takes most of the action.
If you want to make a name for yourself, especially on a technical level, you'd better stick to the standard. These people don't suck it out their thumbs to make your life difficult.
the pen is mighter than the sword, but the word is always final
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Lithe_Joint wrote:There is the quick way and then there is the right way.
If you use the right crimpimg tool, it should have a cutter which cuts the wires equal. Stripping the grey back by only 1cm allows the RJ45 connector to be attached firmly to the cable and instead of the wires now having to bear the brunt of mechanical action, the sleave now takes most of the action.
If you want to make a name for yourself, especially on a technical level, you'd better stick to the standard. These people don't suck it out their thumbs to make your life difficult.
I fully agree. Working with FRAG LAN has been the reason why I can make network cables very quickly. Our practice is to cut off about 2cm of the sheath, sort out the wires, cut them all down to the perfect length and then crimp so that the RJ45 connector grips the sheath. We see a lot of wear and tear on our cables and that is why we do it that way. Once you know how to do it properly, with enough practice it becomes very quick to make cables.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Yup I fully agree. Only diffs is that I waste about 2cm of cable every time I crimp when I cut all the wires level. There is still only 1cm unstripped cable when I'm done.
The end product is the same, and mine took less than half the time. but I'm not going to waste my time so that someone can save on cable :roll: That I can say after crimping 5k+ of cables
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Why is this in modding???