Problems overclocking Asus 8600gt, PSU problem?

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
Ron86

Problems overclocking Asus 8600gt, PSU problem?

Post by Ron86 »

Hello

I am having a bit of trouble with overclocking my Asus 8600gt. From reviews that I have seen this card was able to reach core speeds of 670Mhz - 690Mhz stable, and a memory clock of 880Mhz from 540/700 :D .

My problem is that I cant get it past 610/790 :( (RivaTuner) without stability issues. My suspicion is that it runs out of juice. I got a iSonic 350W PSU with 28A combined Amps, 18A on the 12V rail. This card does not have any external power connector but still above mentioned clocks were reached regardless. Could it be that my PSU isn't pushing enough juice through the mainboard, to power the pci-e slot sufficiently.

Anybody know what else could be causing the problem :idea: , I would appreciate some help. Do I need to buy a new PSU?
Mauritzvw1

Post by Mauritzvw1 »

I am not sure but as far as I know Nvidia Sentinel will tell you if your card is underpowered

Try calculating your power requirement with the calculator in the link and add a couple watts for graphics overclock.

Hope it helps till the experts reply :lol:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuc ... orlite.jsp
Ron86

Post by Ron86 »

Thx did it - it calculates that I need 214W.
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

I still think you PSU is to blame also check your cooling.
Fry: Hey, wait, I'm having one of those things…you know, a headache with pictures.

Leela: An idea?

I LOVE THIS :-)
Ron86

Post by Ron86 »

Cooling is fine never goes above 62 degrees. I doubt that is a thermal issue as its got a good quality copper fin cooler. I still do not get how my psu can't push 75W to my pci-e slot. If I remember correctly this is what the pci-e slot can provide. I am starting to think that there may be something faulty with the card itself.