Studying Linux 101?! Any good?

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
DAE_JA_VOO

Studying Linux 101?! Any good?

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

How's it guys.

I was at CTU yesterday (to enroll for CCNA) and i asked them what linux courses they have. I specifically want a course that's the Linux equivalent of MCSE, and they have a course that covers that, called Linux 101. Does anyone know anything about this?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Judas

Re: Studying Linux 101?! Any good?

Post by Judas »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:How's it guys.

I was at CTU yesterday (to enroll for CCNA) and i asked them what linux courses they have. I specifically want a course that's the Linux equivalent of MCSE, and they have a course that covers that, called Linux 101. Does anyone know anything about this?
I've never heard of this course in particular, but the name suggests that it only covers the very basics of Linux. As far as I know the only internationally certified Linux certifications* are the ones from the Linux Professional Institute. You'll probably be interested in the LPIC series of certifications, and maybe the Ubuntu Certified Professional one ;).

* Apart from some vendor-specific ones, like the RHEL.
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thanks Judas :D

Do the courses on LPI cost anything? I don't see prices...

I spoke to the guy at CTU and he told me that the Linux 101 course will teach me the very basics of linux, but it will progress all the way to advanced network admin. Do you think it would be a good idea to study it?

Also, these LPI courses, are they correspondence courses? Self study? (i hate self study :? )
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
youknow

Post by youknow »

I have heard great things about LPI's. I personally have done two CISCO *nix courses, Fundamentals and another one, while I was doing my CCNA's. They were alright, I always liked the large amount of prac involved in the CISCO courses.
- my sig would have been awesome...