Faulty product from Performance-Pcs

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
EVILer

Faulty product from Performance-Pcs

Post by EVILer »

Hi guys

I just want some opinions, about a month ago i bought a whole bunch of watercooling stuff from ppcs, all and all it was about R2000 i spent with them.

havent had any problems with anything until sunday morning when i woke up and found the res started leaking, the pc was running from about 3 weeks with no problems with anything, i bough the IceBox 5.25" Dual Bay Reservoir and the seals around the edges started to come loose all around it!!

the pc was running during the night because it was rendering a 3d image and emptied the reservoir over all my harddrives under it! 8O

and believe it or not the pc was still fine when i got to it soaking wet, when i finally got it off and unplugged the power connectors out the drives the water was dripping out the ends, the drives were soaked!!!!!!!!

but the best part of this whole thing is........everything is still working 100% my drives are all fine, no damage! :lol: :lol:

the case still zapped me up until last night but all working.

i sent a mail from the website explaining the whole thing and also explaining how in my opinion this res has a manufacturing fault in it as it was working for 3 weeks and started leaking and not because of anything i did to it.

is it too much to expect a replacement from them for the faulty unit i bought???? it was over R200 for it.......

i havent received any kind of response from them yet on this.....
Intel 3.4 Dual Core
4 GB DDR 800
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
2 X 250GB SATA
2 X 320GB SATA
1 X 120GB IDE
Coolermaster WC System
Gigabyte 3D Aurora570 Case
2 X Acer 19\\\" Wide LCD
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Those res's are prone to leaking :(
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

I cant believe your components still work. Thank your lucky stars!!
Fry: Hey, wait, I'm having one of those things…you know, a headache with pictures.

Leela: An idea?

I LOVE THIS :-)
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

can you take some pics of the res man.

Good quality ones tho mate.

Maybe DIY fix it
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I'm sure Hank would send you another res no prob :)

(Don't take my word on that though)
EVILer

Post by EVILer »

I only took 2 pictures with my phone, i was way more moried about my hardware than taking pics.

This one is where is leaked the most in the back corner, you can clearly see the huge gap there:

And this was what was left of the stain under the drives, the power cables served like a river for the water to follow to each drives pc board:

the water then came out the bottom of the case, on the table, then on the floor!

I sealed the res all round with silicone about 3 times then taped it with thick clear "ducktape" but it WILL start leaking again.
Intel 3.4 Dual Core
4 GB DDR 800
2 X 250GB SATA
2 X 320GB SATA
1 X 120GB IDE
Coolermaster WC System
2 X Acer 19\\\" Wide LCD
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Silicone is crap, only one thing that will fix that and thats Clear epoxy. Mixed the two together and go mental on that gap.

Clean all that silicone off tho. proper well. need to have that poxy sticking well, without silicone res dew .

I made my DIY res out of epoxy and perspex, didnt have any leaks at all
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

DoOb wrote:Silicone is crap, only one thing that will fix that and thats Clear epoxy. Mixed the two together and go mental on that gap. Then use your spit to make the poxy all smooth. by putting spitting on ur finger and smoothing the poxy. might sound siff but diy works very well

Clean all that silicone off tho. proper well. need to have that poxy sticking well, without silicone res dew .

RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

DoOb wrote:
DoOb wrote:Silicone is crap, only one thing that will fix that and thats Clear epoxy. Mixed the two together and go mental on that gap. Then use your spit to make the poxy all smooth. by putting spitting on ur finger and smoothing the poxy. might sound siff but diy works very well

QFT, Epoxy FTW! but buy a good brand...

Also another tip, if its a really REALLY fine crack or something and you cant get the (thick) epoxy into it, then buy some thin superglue and put a little line of it over the crack, and turn the res so the superglue is ^up, then it will get drawn into the crack

and i agree with doobs man, if its only a R200 res, just do a diy fix, quicker and cheaper than sending it back lol...

just my 2c :wink:
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

lol how did i quote myself, wierd, i only did one post. wakt'd man
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

DoOb wrote:

It did when it got to me...damn postal service...anyway, silicone fixed it again :)
EVILer

Post by EVILer »

I got a mail today and they want me to ship it back to get it replaced, HELL NO!!!!

This thing will cost me twice what its worth just to get it replaced. Im just gona glue and seal the hell out of it :twisted: :twisted:
Intel 3.4 Dual Core
4 GB DDR 800
2 X 250GB SATA
2 X 320GB SATA
1 X 120GB IDE
Coolermaster WC System
2 X Acer 19\\\" Wide LCD
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Just take a sheet of fibreglass material and some resin and reseal the WHOLE thing while you are at it... :wink:

Id suggest quite a heavy leak test after sealing to ensure it worked well...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za