Kingston Value vS Mushkin (now also OCZ)

Any hardware related topics go here.
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

Can't wait to collect my new rig next week!!

Specs:

Asus P5K Intel P35
Intel C2D E6750
Seagate 320Gb SATAII HDD
OCZ ReaperX HPC Gaming RAM 2x2gig 4Gb kit
Asus Geforce 8800GT 512Mb
Asus SATA DVDRW
Asus 22" Wide Screen LCD
Logitech MX5000 Combo (keyboard & mouse)
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
neon_chameleon wrote:

Im 22 next week and I cant commit to what Im going to eat for breakfast. I mean cereal is so boring but its quick, and eggs take forever to make and theres the toast to make sure you dont burn....
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

B@stard guy! :wink:

Also in process of upgrading...but doing it bit by bit. Cant get the whole shibang at once due to a very tight upcoming 3 months (wife bday, 1st year wedding anniversary etc) :?
Last edited by SilverBack on 03 Jan 2008, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

I've been saving like a b!tch to get my ultimate rig. I have done so much research in the past 3 months to know exactly what I want - so long as it runs Crysis decently (all the cards seem to struggle on maxed out settings though - even the 8800GTX). But I believe I've got the best "Bang-for-buck" PC that will run all games atm pretty decently! A week from tomorrow!
neon_chameleon wrote:

Im 22 next week and I cant commit to what Im going to eat for breakfast. I mean cereal is so boring but its quick, and eggs take forever to make and theres the toast to make sure you dont burn....
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

NinjaTic I HATE YOU!!!
Fry: Hey, wait, I'm having one of those things…you know, a headache with pictures.

Leela: An idea?

I LOVE THIS :-)
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Asus P5K Intel P35
Have you had a look at the Asus P5E Intel X38

I loved my old P5K but I love this P5E so much more...Already hit 505FSB with no issues...Must get tweaking to see how high I can really take it :)
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

:P thanx GatsbyDyt! I have been holding out for a new PC for 2 years now - I need to get something decent. Gonna buy Crysis and the Orange Box too.

The X38 chipsets are a bit more pricey - suppose due to the fact that they support DDR3. I did look at them, but I'm not going to buy DDR3 now - way too expensive! And if I buy 4Gb of DDR2 800 RAM now, I'm not going to be upgrading to DDR3 with this system. I find it cheaper to sell my old system and buy an entire new one as opposed to upgrading specific components and then sitting with old components that no-one wants. My wife is gonna buy my current PC from me - then we can LAN!! :twisted: Not many chicks that own a PC that has a 6800GT GFX card!? It can even run Crysis (on everything low! :( ).

Most of the stuff I'm buying is from ComputersOnly - I bought my Gainward 6800GT two years ago from them too with no problems. The RAM is from Take2 - they the only place (that I found) that have a 4GB kit - price really decent too.
neon_chameleon wrote:

viceroy

Post by viceroy »

P5E uses DDR2 - See my sig :D
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

I can't find a site atm showing the P5E, but as far as I know the X38 chipset is the updated version of the P35 - I assumed the X38 will support DDR3. How much does the P5E typically go for? I read the stats of the P5K and had everything that I wanted - sells for R1450.
neon_chameleon wrote:

viceroy

Post by viceroy »

I paid R2400 for mine from DigitalSAOnline.

X38 just seems more stable to me, has more OC options, supports PCIe 2.0, and to me just seemed more future proof (if that actually means anything these days).

I also went X38 instead of P35 because I intend on getting a Q9450 when they are released, and then I'll be set for time being
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

True - but an extra R1000 is a bit steep. Also so long as this mobo supports all the components that I'm buying for it now - it should be fine. Trying to future proof is very difficult. Also we don't know what better things besides maybe PCIe 2.0 there will be? Maybe USB 3? I'm not going to upgrade this machine - will rather sell it as a complete unit and then buy a brand new one in like 2 or 3 years time.
neon_chameleon wrote:

viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Okay, cool. You'll like P5K then...Solid board for the money.
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

Sweet thanks. How is the ASUS 8800 GT btw? Crysis run okay?
neon_chameleon wrote:

viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Yeah, once you tweak the settings a little it runs very well
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

Where did you buy your 8800GT from? I see you've got quite an impressive overclock there too: from 600/900 to 700/1000.
neon_chameleon wrote:

viceroy

Post by viceroy »

From DigitalSAOnline They're priced at R2400 which is a good price too

I can actually go to 715/1010 but that I only do for overclocking. Once I get my water installed I hope to push it a bit further
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

Sweet keep us informed as to the progress of your water cooling. You gonna be cooling RAM, CPU and GPU?
neon_chameleon wrote:

viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Nah, Ram is Reaper HPC so got a silent fan blowing over those to cool them along with the mobo chipset.

Cooling CPU and GPU
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

DAMMIT!!! Went to matrix and they told me I gotta wait till the 7th so that they can order the RAM. I am now assuming that they get their RAM from FRONTOSA cause they are the only suppliers who are still closed I think. If thats true I'll order them from FRONTOSA myself.
Fry: Hey, wait, I'm having one of those things…you know, a headache with pictures.

NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

Be thankful it's the 7th - My RAM (I'm ordering from Take2.co.za) is only arriving at their place on the 14th! Then they still have to ship it to me! So looks like by the end of next week I'll have everything except the RAM - very useful PC it will be without RAM!! I should be up and gaming by end of Jan!
neon_chameleon wrote:

cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Ive had the same problem. I think all suppliers are closed till the 7th.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
GatsbyDyt

Post by GatsbyDyt »

cYcLIc wrote:Ive had the same problem. I think all suppliers are closed till the 7th.
not all suppliers, I know for a fact that Axiz, Rectron, Mustek and others are open. I just hope FRONTOSA can get me a 8800GT. . .if I buy it direct from them i'll only pay sumthing like R2200.