ADSL or Sentech

Network problem solving and tweaks
ICE-VaPa

ADSL or Sentech

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me.

I am thinking about getting ADSL or Sentechs My Wireless, now i was wondering which one you would recommend and why?

What sort of speeds am i looking at with Sentech?

If ADSL, then what Service Provider?

Thanks people! :wink:
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Sentech is experiencing some teething problems with some people.

I had a major slowdown for about 2 weeks, but it's back to normal now.

On a 128k line (R650 per month) I get an average of 10k per second, sometimes peaking at 14k per second.

Sentech is no good for FPS gaming - the latency is the issue, so consistent pings are not possible.

It's a great cheap way to surf and download - there's no cap, no traffic shaping (not yet anyway) and it's portable.

ADSL - got it here at work through Telkom, 512k line - when it works, it works well and it works about 90% of the time.

I'd much rather have ADSL at home, if it wasn't for the cap. The price is about the same as Sentech's 512k offering.

I'd say go for ADSL at the moment, until Sentech can work out the problems they are still having and until they can get a better contract !

When you sign up, it's for 24 months with no comebacks - you can't opt out halfway through.
Last edited by bb_matt on 10 Jun 2004, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

personally i would go with sentech, they seem to be more reliable than telkom and they dont have a cap. sentech has 128, 256, 512 connections, the 128 is about 650 bucks this includes service provider and your modem and is a 24 month contract, downside is that you might not have coverage in your area yet. go check out www.sentech.co.za they have a coverage locator thingy on thier site.
I am the Hitokiri that makes it rain blood.....
- Himura Battousai.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

That coverage locator is very unreliable.

Your best bet for some educated answers and an eye-opener :-

http://www.mybroadband.co.za

check out the forum.
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Is there any other way of finding out whether you are, in fact, in a coverage zone, besides from their site. (the site you posted seems great do they list coverage zones). I'm still keen to get Sentech, after exams. I believe there are shorter contracts available (ie. on monthly basis) except one has to purchase the modem up front. Dude, I'll do anything to avoid Telkom.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I think most of Durban and the suburbs are covered - best ask on the forum I mentioned above and see if anyone is close to where you are.

I think Sentech will eventually get thier act together, but the problem right now is total lack of communication.

There's been problems, but Sentech just keeps giving standard responses.

The bandwidth is not reliable - I've been very lucky, but many people have had poor to bad experiences.

I'm stuck with it for another 22 months, but I'm happy enough - 10k a second average 24/7 with no cap is pretty damn cool - I can set linux distributions or game demos downloading before I go to work or overnight and not worry about extra costs or reaching a capped level.

Also, if your a student, they won't even accept your application - you need proof of salary and they do a credit check on you.
The only way you could get it is if your parents signed up for it.
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

mmm, it is a hard decision... the 24 month contract scares me! :?
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I am having the same dilemma... I am much more tempted to go the Wireless route - not because of the price but because it means I don't have to give any more of my money to Telkom. I am sick and tired of Telkom. I'd love to get a 512k wireless connection, but the one thing putting me off is the 24 month contract (plus I don't think they are in CT yet) - I am probably moving out of the country by the end of the year so signing up a 24 month contract is a bit pointless.
human slave in an insect nation
kailinin

Post by kailinin »

sentech also have 12 month contract, but the modem isnt included, you gotta buy that yourself.
I am the Hitokiri that makes it rain blood.....
- Himura Battousai.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

I'd go the ADSL route at the moment. 512K ADSL is is R680 per month. There are some extras, like installation and the ADSL modem. but I think with the inquest into telkoms pricing, it could get better. Also there is the new option of getting the unlimited usage (not unlimited bandwidth), which allows you 4GB on ALL channels. So if you're into online gaming, "File Sharing", etc. it is the way to go. Since at the moment, normal ADLS blocks some of these ports. I think it's 250 per month extra.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Ya - I haven't done all the math, but I think it's just over R1000 a month.

If you've got the bucks to spare or have the ability to share, there's uncapped ADSL with a 3:1 ratio - datapro offer that.

It costs R2300 month :-

http://www.datapro.co.za/products/bus_adsl.html

That would be awesome between 2 to 3 people.
Last edited by bb_matt on 10 Jun 2004, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Not true, Kronos. The 4Gb unshaped service costs around R800, which replaces you approx R250 Prolog or Prolog Plus account - the actual ADSL subscription is separate, and not included in the R800. We looked into getting this at work, and this is what they told us :/ Also it means that a topup will cost you an extra R800, rather than an extra R250 for an additional Prolog account.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
amdretard

Post by amdretard »

does UU-net run their usrs throuh a proxy (not capped
My friends think i need a life. What do you think?
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Synkronos wrote:Not true, Kronos. The 4Gb unshaped service costs around R800, which replaces you approx R250 Prolog or Prolog Plus account - the actual ADSL subscription is separate, and not included in the R800. We looked into getting this at work, and this is what they told us :/ Also it means that a topup will cost you an extra R800, rather than an extra R250 for an additional Prolog account.
OK, My Bad. My info was from hearsay. :oops:
bb_matt wrote:If you've got the bucks to spare or have the ability to share
You're a poet and you don't even knowit. :lol: :lol: :lol: