PCF Holiday Edition 2007

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

PCF Holiday Edition 2007

Post by Stuart »

Yes, ladies and gents, it's schase starting another thread about the latest edition of PCF. You're all expecting me to point out various errata throughout the publication, but I promise (at this point) to keep away from spelling errors and the like. I do, however, have a handful of comments to make, and have in preparation for the backlash donned my flame-retardant underwear. But I digress ...

COMMENT # 1
Some of you may remember (but most will probably not) my comments concerning Stacey's review of the Vodafone E220 modem in the October edition. She claimed that it just would not work in Vista when I, after a simple firmware upgrade, have had it happily doing business with Microsoft's new OS for months. Cameron's response in that thread, which was met with general agreement, was that they review hardware out the box, and therefore do not consider firmware upgrades. Fair enough.

In this month's edition, a certain Mr. David Jacobs wrote into PCF to note his own disagreement with Stacey's conclusion. Like me, Mr. Jacobs succeeded in getting the modem to work with Vista, and points the PCF staff to the firmware upgrade's link. Deon's response:
Deon wrote:Thanks, David, we've had several e-mails from Vodacom people all helpfully advising us that thanks to this update, Vista now supports the E220. At the time of going to print, however, there was no Vista support. We're glad to see Vodacom is on top of things and look forward to much Vista compatibility with all their hardware. Deon.
My question is simple: How many months in advance do the magazines go to print. I got my E220 on 10 July 2007 and found the update for Vista the same day. Did the October edition really go to print before that?

COMMENT # 2
I recently turfed all my old editions of PCF, but I distinctly remember a lady writing in sometime in the last two months complaining profusely that PCF had printed a certain expletive. Stacey was equally profusely apologetic, stating that PCF always seeks to avoid causing any offence and that more stringent measures would be put into place to avoid a repeat of this slip. What do you know? Again, I quote in part from a letter to the editor ("Put a game to the name"), this one by a certain Gamer CCX:
Gamer CCX wrote:I have an older sister that uses my rig/mobo more than I say the s**t word [asterisks supplied], can you believe it! (That is my current state of times that I've said that word.)
:roll:

COMMENT # 3
I was tempted to simply shake my head at that point and lay the magazine aside, but I decided instead to turn to the Ask Luis section at the back. This time I was glad, because in an entry called "Pulling the plug" Luis included the most hysterical reply to a support question that I have read in a long time. Just reading that letter makes this month's mag worth every cent. For the benefit of those who don't read PCF, let me again quote in part.

First, to the question.
Patrick Clear wrote:I have been having an issue with a new system of mine. A couple of days ago I switched the power off at the mains while my computer was on, which usually isn't a problem, but since then I have only been able to get to the screen where you choose safe mode, normal mode, etc. Upon choosing any of the options the screen goes blank and stays like that and if safe mode is chosen, the screen stays on the loading Windows files screen. The system contains an ASUS p5n32-e SLI motherboard, 2GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM, an 8800 Ultra, two hard drives in RAID and an Intel Q6600 and is currently running Vista Home Premium.
You can all see it coming, right? But no one, with the possible exception of rustypup, could have said it better than Luis. I quote only in part:
Luis Villazon wrote:In a parallel universe somewhere, your transdimensional twin has just sent a letter to What Gunshot Wound? magazine that reads like this:

I have an issue with the wallpaper in my sitting room. A couple of days ago I put a single bullet in the chamber of my revolver, placed the gun against my head and pulled the trigger, which usually isn't a problem, but since then there is an unsightly red stain on the far wall and I have an uncomfortable breeze blowing through my ears.

And in case I've made my point a bit too subtly here, I am saying that turning off a PC at the mains while Windows is running is like a game of Russian Roulette. A game that you have just lost.
Yes, I am well aware that typing all of this is a strong indication that I have too much time on my hands, but I laughed so hard I just thought it would be an injustice to PCF forumites who don't read the magazine not to have a chance to revel in that reply.

Well done to the PCF staff for including that letter on page 94, even if there are another few shockers scattered throughout the rest of the Holiday Edition.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

just to let you know, and I'm not sure on the articles themselves but if an advert needs to go into a magazine then the advertiser sends in the advert in January to make the May publication.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KillerByte wrote:just to let you know, and I'm not sure on the articles themselves but if an advert needs to go into a magazine then the advertiser sends in the advert in January to make the May publication.
Yeah, I realise that they are often done WAY in advance, but I don't know about actually "going to print." I'll admit the possibility of Deon being correct there, but it does sound suspiciously like a convenient excuse. Maybe just cos it's late at night. Sorry to Deon and all involved if I am being hypercritical here.
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

sending an add in jan to make the may publication ---> this the world of IT, wat the point of advertising the products which would by then not be the latest.

I buy Pcformat now n then (when travelling)--must admit i prefered in wen i was a kid n a certain Mars was the editor

:)
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

AFAIK the E220 Modem firmware was released around February ;)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

schase the one problem I have (so far) with the mag is page 28. Where they are doing an interview with the model. For some reason I cant seem to take whats written there seriously I think its because the model is in a bikini! I didnt even read the page properly saw the model and turned reason being becasue it has nothing to do with PC's!
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

bootsie wrote:sending an add in jan to make the may publication ---> this the world of IT, wat the point of advertising the products which would by then not be the latest.
its the industry norm.
ddp

Post by ddp »

Hi guys,

First off, to schase and everyone else concerned about the E220 inaccuracies I must apologise, I did not investigate the matter thoroughly and after only a cursory glance at the Vodacom website, I reached the wrong conclusion that the E220 update was not available at the time of going to print with the original review when it had, in fact, been available since early in the year.

However, the fact remains that we review out of the box hardware, and the out the box experience of the E220 was indeed that it did not work properly on Windows Vista; the error here is mine, and not Stacey's, for which I do apologise. I could list many reasons as to why my attention was not focused intently on this issue, but that would just be an excuse and I am sure you guys don't want to hear it.

As for the inclusion of "*****" in a letter, I wasn't aware that there were strong feelings surrounding the word and figured its inclusion would be taken in context, and I apologise if it offended any of you. Nick and I are handling the letters pages these days, so any blame for material that does not meet your expectations should be directed at us. Actually it's more me, as Nick tends to err on the conservative side, a lesson I could possibly do well to learn!

Luis' section is always contentious, but I am glad you found something to laugh at there as it is primarily a source of entertainment rather than straight-up technical support.

If you have any more comments on the mag, please post them, I will do my best to address them.

Have a great weekend, all!

Cheers

Deon
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

ddp wrote:Hi guys,

First off, to schase and everyone else concerned about the E220 inaccuracies I must apologise, I did not investigate the matter thoroughly and after only a cursory glance at the Vodacom website, I reached the wrong conclusion that the E220 update was not available at the time of going to print with the original review when it had, in fact, been available since early in the year.
What exactly do you get paid for if you aren't researching thoroughly? Not that it's any of my business, but isn't that sort off what you are supposed to do? Reason I buy (or should I say bought after I read your comment) PCF is because I don't want to trial and error and thereby hope that you guys at PCF will give me ACCURATE information.
ddp wrote:However, the fact remains that we review out of the box hardware, and the out the box experience of the E220 was indeed that it did not work properly on Windows Vista; the error here is mine, and not Stacey's, for which I do apologise. I could list many reasons as to why my attention was not focused intently on this issue, but that would just be an excuse and I am sure you guys don't want to hear it.
Oh, review out of the box. Good, which means all hardware are reviewed with the Windows drivers as you do not update any software that might be required. So any hardware reviews can be viewed as inaccurate because hardware is being reviewed out of the box. Now we all know this is bullocks, so why not make the little bit extra effort (big word, I know) and find the firmware and mention it in the article??
ddp wrote:As for the inclusion of "****" in a letter, I wasn't aware that there were strong feelings surrounding the word and figured its inclusion would be taken in context, and I apologise if it offended any of you. Nick and I are handling the letters pages these days, so any blame for material that does not meet your expectations should be directed at us. Actually it's more me, as Nick tends to err on the conservative side, a lesson I could possibly do well to learn!
Funny that the word in the spotlight here is masked out by stars on the magazines forum. Don't give me the family forum speech, it's a family mag as well as far as I know.
ddp wrote:Luis' section is always contentious, but I am glad you found something to laugh at there as it is primarily a source of entertainment rather than straight-up technical support.
Well, that's probably the best part of the mag, because Luis doesn't work for the same office as you.
ddp wrote:If you have any more comments on the mag, please post them, I will do my best to address them.
Don't even bother. I'm done wasting my money on this mag, and just in case you are wondering, I stopped this months mag at the letters page. Never thought that a publishing company could print that much crap on 2 pages.
ddp wrote:Have a great weekend, all!

Cheers

Deon
Same.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

DarkRanger

I have always had a problem with you and today my disdain for you has turned into vile contempt.

What the hell gives you the right to flame Deon, who a)did not even have to reply to this thread, b) AFAIK he, like all colleagues don't just work on 1 magazine but rather a number.

Your entire flam could have been replaced with a simple sentence,
"Lately I am seriously disappointed with the standard of the magazine."

Your maturity level leaves a lot to be desired.

OT/ Hey deon, looking forward to FRAG next weekend, we are all a buzz with the news that you were coming down to represent PCF. /OT

KillerByte
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ddp wrote:First off, to schase and everyone else concerned about the E220 inaccuracies I must apologise, I did not investigate the matter thoroughly and after only a cursory glance at the Vodacom website, I reached the wrong conclusion that the E220 update was not available at the time of going to print with the original review when it had, in fact, been available since early in the year.

However, the fact remains that we review out of the box hardware, and the out the box experience of the E220 was indeed that it did not work properly on Windows Vista; the error here is mine, and not Stacey's, for which I do apologise. I could list many reasons as to why my attention was not focused intently on this issue, but that would just be an excuse and I am sure you guys don't want to hear it.
I personally don't have a major problem with not noting the firmware update. I was personally clued up enough to go searching for it when I got my modem. My concern is that a lot of people, based on the letters published in the editor's section, take PCF as the bible of their technology understanding. I would have assumed, with I would imagine a certain amount of Vista readers making use of your mag, that you would have tried to include all the information necessary for them to make an informed decision. I'm sure a lot of people just read that comment and assumed it was true. It is conceivable that some Vista users were contemplating getting 3G but decided against it upon finding out that the modem would not work with Vista. Not really your problem, to be sure, but I still would have liked to have seen a little more homework done. (And it really would only have been a LITTLE more.)
ddp wrote:As for the inclusion of "****" in a letter, I wasn't aware that there were strong feelings surrounding the word and figured its inclusion would be taken in context, and I apologise if it offended any of you. Nick and I are handling the letters pages these days, so any blame for material that does not meet your expectations should be directed at us. Actually it's more me, as Nick tends to err on the conservative side, a lesson I could possibly do well to learn!
Again, the offence is not personal here. I just find it incredible that only a month or two ago a reader complained about a swearword appearing in the mag, that the reader was then assured that more careful steps would be taken to avoid this in future, and then two months later another profanity appears. Granted, Stacey answered the letter last time, and you this time. It does make me suspect, however, that the staff at PCF don't even read their own publication, since you seem quite oblivious to the fact that this has been an issue in the recent past.
Anakha56 wrote:schase the one problem I have (so far) with the mag is page 28. Where they are doing an interview with the model. For some reason I cant seem to take whats written there seriously I think its because the model is in a bikini! I didnt even read the page properly saw the model and turned reason being becasue it has nothing to do with PC's!
I agree completely. My wife always jeers me about the cover model, and it was with some credulity that I told her the other night that they actually INTERVIEWED her in the magazine. My wife, who wouldn't know a keyboard from a mouse, immediately asked, "Why? What does she know about computers?" I admit, I don't even know what the interview was about because I just couldn't bring myself to actually read it. I'm sure they tried to put some sort of technological twist on the interview ("What's your favourite MP3 player?" or something like that) but honestly ... *looks for the shaking head smiley; it's early in the morning on a weekend, can't find it, gives it up as a bad idea*
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

I have to agree with KillerByte.
@ DarkRanger, if you have such a problem with PCF why do you bother posting here? If you do not like the mag's content, well that's your opinion, you are certainly entitled to think that. But what gives you the right to flame them and make your problems known to the world? I think you are being way to critical on a team who normally put together a great mag. Everyone makes mistakes, I bet you have made more than a few yourself...

If you want to whine, please do it somewhere else.

@ PCF Team, I love reading your mag and think that you have put together another great edition
(They're just jealous that you are better than them :lol: )
DJ
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

DJT wrote:@ DarkRanger, if you have such a problem with PCF why do you bother posting here?J
Just remember that the mag and the forum are two completely different things ;)

I bet that at least 40% of this forum's members don't even buy the PCF (i'm being serious; i know a lot of the guys here don't buy it).

The magazine is a place to learn about hardware/games/modding (:P), but the forum is a place where you can ask a question and it will almost CERTAINLY get answered.

EDIT: I just read the first post again:
schase wrote:First, to the question.
Patrick Clear wrote:I have been having an issue with a new system of mine. A couple of days ago I switched the power off at the mains while my computer was on, which usually isn't a problem, but since then I have only been able to get to the screen where you choose safe mode, normal mode, etc. Upon choosing any of the options the screen goes blank and stays like that and if safe mode is chosen, the screen stays on the loading Windows files screen. The system contains an ASUS p5n32-e SLI motherboard, 2GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM, an 8800 Ultra, two hard drives in RAID and an Intel Q6600 and is currently running Vista Home Premium.
You can all see it coming, right? But no one, with the possible exception of rustypup, could have said it better than Luis. I quote only in part:
Luis Villazon wrote:In a parallel universe somewhere, your transdimensional twin has just sent a letter to What Gunshot Wound? magazine that reads like this:

I have an issue with the wallpaper in my sitting room. A couple of days ago I put a single bullet in the chamber of my revolver, placed the gun against my head and pulled the trigger, which usually isn't a problem, but since then there is an unsightly red stain on the far wall and I have an uncomfortable breeze blowing through my ears.

And in case I've made my point a bit too subtly here, I am saying that turning off a PC at the mains while Windows is running is like a game of Russian Roulette. A game that you have just lost.
I'm sorry but that's a load of bull crap. While i know that Windows is an already broken OS, i know from many, many years experience with the (terrible) OS that switching it off in such a manner doesn't do a thing to it. Whether you unplug it or switch your PSU off, whatever, no matter what you do, the OS wont be any more broken than it already is when you turn it on again.

Luis makes as if you'll cause your entire rig to fry if you do this, which is certainly not the case.

Just needed to get that in :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

That may be true, DAE, but he did nevertheless state his point in a hysterically funny manner. I often find myself disagreeing with Luis' so-called tech support, but he is still one of the wittiest guys I have ever read.
DJT

Post by DJT »

schase wrote:That may be true, DAE, but he did nevertheless state his point in a hysterically funny manner. I often find myself disagreeing with Luis' so-called tech support, but he is still one of the wittiest guys I have ever read.
DAE < Luis
:lol:
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - Facebook
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

schase wrote:That may be true, DAE, but he did nevertheless state his point in a hysterically funny manner. I often find myself disagreeing with Luis' so-called tech support, but he is still one of the wittiest guys I have ever read.
I have to agree with you on that one! :D

DJT wrote:DAE < Luis
:lol:
Um, sorry, what?
I can't remember this ever being a DAE vs Luis thing...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DJT

Post by DJT »

He adds humor to his answers
Clarke Media - Facebook
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

KillerByte wrote:What the hell gives you the right to flame Deon, who a)did not even have to reply to this thread, b) AFAIK he, like all colleagues don't just work on 1 magazine but rather a number.
So just because he works for the mag means I can not state how I feel about their crappiest edition of a (use to be) wonderful mag? I just gave my opinion. Live with it.
KillerByte wrote:Your entire flame could have been replaced with a simple sentence,
"Lately I am seriously disappointed with the standard of the magazine."
That could have been done. OH!! That is IF I was flaming. Which I wasn't. Opinion <=> Flame.
KillerByte wrote:Your maturity level leaves a lot to be desired.
This coming from you KB.
DJT wrote:DarkRanger, if you have such a problem with PCF why do you bother posting here?
Like DAE said, two different things.
DJT wrote:If you do not like the mag's content, well that's your opinion, you are certainly entitled to think that.
Well that's exactly what my post was. It wasn't a flame, it was just my full on opinion. No beating around the bush crap.
DJT wrote:I think you are being way to critical on a team who normally put together a great mag.
DarkRanger wrote:I can not state how I feel about their crappiest edition of a (use to be) wonderful mag?
DJT wrote:Everyone makes mistakes, I bet you have made more than a few yourself...
I never said I don't make mistakes. But if I am given a link to firmware or such and want to cover up by saying when I checked it wasn't there, that is not a mistake. He could have checked the link and checked the date of release, and written in the mag that they did not know there was firmware for the device. Easy as pie.
DJT wrote:If you want to whine, please do it somewhere else.
Last time I checked, I had a right to freedom of speech. So I'll do it wherever, whenever. :wink:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

bootsie wrote:must admit i prefered in wen i was a kid n a certain Mars was the editor

Agree with the sentiment.

If only for the 'Mars Collection'. :P
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
atomwissenschaft

Post by atomwissenschaft »

I still have so many "Mars Collection" they were always a highlight :D :D :D

More points than you!
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Interestingly, Mars Mlodzinski has risen up the corporate ladder, and is now CEO of Leading Brands Publishing in Dubai. Talk about ambition. Would never have imagined him as CEO of a publishing company. I miss the good old days of Mars, mainly for that sense of nostalgia it induces. Years back when I'd only just discovered what a PC was, Mars was the man whose editorial blurbs I used to read and wish that one day I could be just like him. :P